Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #113
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
OK guys... maybe time to step back from the keyboards for a bit.

I'm frustrated also as the two issues I've had with my $42K car have been unresolved as well. As a matter of fact it's been in the shop for a week now without an update. The good news is I do have a loaner and hopefully the dealer will address the issues as best possible.

While I'm certainly not happy with the situation I personally will not be throwing F Bombs at anyone as this won't help anything and espically in these crazy times I refuse to be part of the "going nuts on people you don't like or agree with" culture we're currently living in.

This being said I certainly hope that any "fix" GM comes out with for the trans/rear end issues comes with an extended warranty. I bought my car to keep and would hate to have to get rid of it before the 5/50 expires. I think the fear of GM "playing the clock" to walk away from this issue is adding to the frustration of many. It wouldn't be the first time an automotive company has used this tactic to shirk their responsibility in resolving a defective design.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #114
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Oh so the 3rd gens didn't have any problems? No paint issues, plastic pieces cracking and failing inside and out, rear main seal, t top and hatch notorious for leaks, heater cores always fail, steering box cracking, headliners sag, and the car was a squeak and rattle trap from the factory.

Or maybe you meant the 4th gen? water pump and Optispark failures, rear main seal, 4l6e failures, 10 bolt failure, rear pinion seal, window lifts fail, front turn signals all get water in them and die, brake rotors warp by design, alternator, along with the squeaks and rattles also.

You're very ignorant to believe Camaros haven't had quality issues over the years.
Pretty aggressive for a guy that seems to be more worked up about my dealership tantrum than the real issue here...

I can only tell you my experience, I haven't had any issues like this with any of my Camaros, including 3rd Gen and 4th Gen. I don't expect the car to be perfect, but yes I expect more quality for a higher price point. That's kind of how the world works if you didn't know. And in a case where you don't get that quality, the blame lies with the provider, not the buyer. Your "you should have known better" and "it's hard to fix these problems guyyys" arguments are ridiculous at best. This is no ones fault but Chevy's and if they want to keep long term customers they should be bending over backwards to satisfy us, not pushing us away.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:55 AM   #115
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
I don't expect the car to be perfect, but yes I expect more quality for a higher price point.
I tend to agree. You shouldn't be paying MSRP of course but even if you picked up a 1SS A8 for as low as $35K, not a small chunk of change.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #116
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako22 View Post
Pretty aggressive for a guy that seems to be more worked up about my dealership tantrum than the real issue here...

I can only tell you my experience, I haven't had any issues like this with any of my Camaros, including 3rd Gen and 4th Gen. I don't expect the car to be perfect, but yes I expect more quality for a higher price point. That's kind of how the world works if you didn't know. And in a case where you don't get that quality, the blame lies with the provider, not the buyer. Your "you should have known better" and "it's hard to fix these problems guyyys" arguments are ridiculous at best. This is no ones fault but Chevy's and if they want to keep long term customers they should be bending over backwards to satisfy us, not pushing us away.
Figuring in inflation and your car costs the same as it's equivalent 20 years ago or the same cost as a mid level minivan. It's not this expensive out of reach special car.

And nobody said anything about putting the blame on the customer. The point is EVERY car will have problems and GM is working to provide a real fix. Anything other than GM going back and time and reengineering the car to be completely perfect is unacceptable to you. If I worked for GM I wouldn't want you as a long term customer because your expectations are unrealistic.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:52 PM   #117
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
So got the car back from the second flush on both the rear end and the trans. Heard a hint of groan from the rear end on my first turn out of the dealership and the pretty sure I the shudder pulling slowly away from the third traffic light. I guess I'll know more later this week when I drive it across town for work.
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #118
mako22

Drives: 2017 HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Anything other than GM going back and time and reengineering the car to be completely perfect is unacceptable to you. If I worked for GM I wouldn't want you as a long term customer because your expectations are unrealistic.
I guess I should have realized this sooner:
Old 11-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #119
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
If this was just a Camaro problem, I might could take this shudder shit a little better, but it isn't. It affects ANYTHING with an A8 tranny in it. GM screwed up big time and they know it. They have a lot of their dealers big money customers complaining,ready to jump ship because of this shitty shifting transmission.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #120
FL Scooter

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
I got my car back this afternoon. George the service department manager said that they put an old stock TC in the trans. He knows it's gonna fail but his will get me to the 1st quarter of 19 plus some. As mentioned above, the Colorados are really effected by this and the truck market is their bread and butter. We should be so lucky at 35K to 50K for a Camaro. Have you looked at a sticker on a Silverado lately?? What are the fleet owners saying to Chevy>
FL Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #121
ChickenPoop
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Plum Crazy Scat Pack Charger
They better extract their heads from their asses and come up with a viable solution and not another band aid.
ChickenPoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:29 AM   #122
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
^^ Well said poop. This is GM we are talking about tho.. but, we never give up hope.

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #123
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My warranty will be up by 1st quarter of 2019, will I be SOL? Had flush a couple thousand miles ago but I feel the shudder returning.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #124
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
My warranty will be up by 1st quarter of 2019, will I be SOL? Had flush a couple thousand miles ago but I feel the shudder returning.
Check your state law. In many places if you have documented a warrantable issue during the warrany period, it will remain covered.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #125
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Check your state law. In many places if you have documented a warrantable issue during the warrany period, it will remain covered.
Take it back in for service and have the dealership document that TSB has been placed on hold. This will cover you with GM. Also, your powertrain warranty is for 60 months or 60k miles. Your 36/36k Bumper to Bumper warranty is not required for transmission issues. Powertrain covers the direct electronics related to the powertrain as well, such as the ECM and TCM. Loaner vehicles are included for powertrain warranty services with zero deductible.

If you wish to make sure your other systems are covered; such as headlights, infotainment, gauge cluster, information/HUD systems, AC, heated/vented seats, or even TPMS receivers -- then you'll want to acquire a GM extended warranty plan like GMEPP prior to your vehicle hitting the 36/36k limit of the original warranty.

My dealer seems to think GM will be sending original owners of effected 8L90 vehicles a notice that they are provided a 48/48k B2B and 84/100k PT warranty extension offer at either a greatly reduced price or no charge to lessen the weight behind the multiple class action suits that have been filed against them for chronic powertrain issues with 2015 & newer vehicles with 8L series transmissions. I wouldn't hold my breath and would buy GMEPP before your chance expires and if such an offer comes, call the notice support number and request a refund for the extension you already bought.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #126
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
What I can't figure out is...

Why the F##K have they been dragging their feet with it. Are their engineers such morons that it took 3+ years to figure out the issue?

People should be fired over this. Period.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote