Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
Surfrman

Drives: Summit White SS MT
How Much Time My SS Need!!!

Hi, i just get a week ago, my brand new 5 miles, 2015 Camaro SS, MT, Summit White, i guess like all the new engines, it needs a break in period, before i start to burn tires and drive at high rpm, and also wanna install a z/28 headers and a zl1 corsa cataback exhaust system, can some one tell me how much time?

Thanks
Surfrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
I believe factory recommends 1500 miles, I started from day one. Drive it like you stole it. Don't think I'd be doing any burn outs yet though.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
fradaj

Drives: RS
I would wait a year before doing anything to it.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Surfrman

Drives: Summit White SS MT
I think a year its too much, its better to measure it in miles lol
Surfrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Follow the manual - engineers who built the car wrote the break-in period recommendations.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
BostiPB

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
I know on my 2014, the manual said the break in period was 1500 miles. It also stated, not to get the engine over 4000 RPMs and to not stay at one speed for extended periods of time(vary speed).
2014 2SS/RS - Red Rock Metallic - Kooks Headers, Corsa Extreme, Factory Reproductions Z28 Rims, Pedders Coilovers, JDP Clutch Reservoir, Summit Racing Line Lock, GM Strut Brace, GM low profile splash guards, Roto-fab CAI, Oracle Ghosted Sidemarker Lights & Concept Mirrors, ZL1 Side Skirts, MGW Flat Stick Shifter, BMR Subframe Connectors, Eaton Truetrac, Yukon 4.11s, GForce Renegade Axles, Speedmaster79 Diff Cover, Offset Diff Bushings, Every Suspension Bushing Front & Rear Replaced with BMR Poly Bushings - 421HP 412TQ
BostiPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Break it in hard. Read this thread about what GM recommends the break in for their crate engines:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403619
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I broke mine in between the recommended and what I have done in the past. I varied speed, tried to not red line very often for the first 400-500, then after 1K miles I changed the factory oil and put in Royal Purple (I know some do not like it, but it has not done me wrong yet, plus I do not race this car) and then I drove it as hard as I wanted to.

It gets some WOT passes every drive to keep it cleared up and no carbon building up. Mine will be a year old (to me) in June, but I have just over 7,000 miles on it now. I do not drive it in rain unless I have to (handles fine, just road grime is a pain to clean off) and I just enjoy it each time.

I would not jack rabbit wide open throttle it much until you get past say 1K miles. But I had a 99 Formula that was run hard, but well maintained that outran cars it should not have. I had a nice loose motor that really made good power for the early LS1.

Each person does it different. Some are 100% by the book, some are 180* the other way and drive it hard from day 1. I hit the middle and had fun, but didn't dog it out like I described.

Runs great! But again, I am not tracking the car, just enjoy some spirited driving when roads and conditions allow.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #9
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I took my latest Camaro drag racing with a few hundred miles and temp tags on it.

Still runs great thanks to Temp Tag Racing.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #10
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I took my latest Camaro drag racing with a few hundred miles and temp tags on it.

Still runs great thanks to Temp Tag Racing.
You got me beat in my Formula I had... I dyno'd with temp tags, but didn't track it until I had my plates. Did not say I did not race it, just not at the track. Younger, dumber, lived, no one was hurt... nuff said. LOL

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I don't believe in this beat on it break in procedure. Just because your car drives fine now doesn't mean it will go 200k miles without using oil.

The biggest issue is to break in the rings. They basically need to wear to fit the cylinder profile to seal properly. The better they seal, the more power the engine makes. A brand new engine will have blow-by because it hasn't worn the rings yet. They key is to wear them in without gouging the cylinder wall. Big gouges causes excessive blow-by and burning oil. Your car will still run fine but long-term performance might suffer. The rings are designed to expand by the cylinder pressure... driving it hard creates more cylinder pressure.

I've read papers on the break in period, but I've never read a paper where they break down a bunch of engines that drove nicely vs. drive it like you stole it. Until one is published, this topic has always been personal opinion. Race engines typically get broken in hard... but they are for racing and not long-term driving... and get rebuilt often so their story has no merit to me for everyday driving.

In general, I'd say drive it easy and a bit spirited but don't go crazy and change the oil in the first 1,000-2,000 miles.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:56 PM   #12
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
Can I ask why you are buying z/28 headers and zl1 exhaust? You do know that those parts aren't build for your car and they won't make it perform better, if anything it might make it even worst. You should look into parts that are made for your car. Congrat and the pick up. I broke my car in hard, it runs and performs like a dream.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 04:53 PM   #13
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
Can I ask why you are buying z/28 headers and zl1 exhaust? You do know that those parts aren't build for your car and they won't make it perform better, if anything it might make it even worst. You should look into parts that are made for your car. Congrat and the pick up. I broke my car in hard, it runs and performs like a dream.
Yea man just get some headers like Kooks or texas speed etc
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #14
anth331

Drives: 12SS
You want to drive it like your going to do all the time. If there is a problem it's best to find out now while it's under warranty.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote