Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 01-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #1
Kicknyoace

Drives: 2013 Black 2LT/RS
Want my wheels black....Help

What is the best route to go to black my wheels out? I am in Arl/Mansfield area if anyone knows a place that will do this. I am open for suggestions. Thanks.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389444729.882384.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  120.6 KB
Mods so far:SLP Loudmouth 2 Exhaust, K & N Typhoon CAI, Matte Black Rally Stripes, Tinted Windows, Tinted Tail Lights/ Reflectors, Colored Bowties on Front/ Back/ Wheels, Blue interior dome LED Lights/ Footwell Lights.
Kicknyoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #2
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Cheaply enough plasti-dip is perfect on Camaro wheels. You could also powdercoated or have then repainted aswell

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #3
Kicknyoace

I need to find a place that does this stuff. I will screw it up, lol. I am also gonna black out the taillight bezels and would like to do the Camaro lettering also.
Mods so far:SLP Loudmouth 2 Exhaust, K & N Typhoon CAI, Matte Black Rally Stripes, Tinted Windows, Tinted Tail Lights/ Reflectors, Colored Bowties on Front/ Back/ Wheels, Blue interior dome LED Lights/ Footwell Lights.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Well That's the great thing about plasti dip is that. you can mess a million of times and you can just Peel it off. And start right over without damaging the paint. Plus you can do your letters and bowties.. Just have fun with it. you'll be fine!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
It's easy to do, and if you screw it up, you peel it off and start over. It's pretty much idiot proof.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #6
Kicknyoace

I can give it a whirl. What about washing the car and stuff? Will it come off easy then? I don't want to have to keep applying all the time since I am sure taping off the wheels will suck.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

nope won't come off , unless you Peel it! It withstands machine car washes too!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Kicknyoace

That's cool. I guess I would tape off the whole tire and behind the wheel to stay off the brakes and stuff right? Then just go to town spraying? I think I can handle that.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicknyoace View Post
I can give it a whirl. What about washing the car and stuff? Will it come off easy then? I don't want to have to keep applying all the time since I am sure taping off the wheels will suck.
You can take them off I found that it was easier when I did mine they came out perfect just take your time and spray several coats evenly everytime it beings to dry to a matte finish until you get it covered completely, make sure you spray it up in the edges and onto the tire so when you peel it from the tire it peels clean.

You will have overspray in the barrel of your wheel it unless you mask it off with tape or something.

watch some vids before you start,

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #10
Kicknyoace

Thanks. That helped. I have Matte black rally stripes so I am thinking a Matte black wheel would look good.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
That's cool. I guess I would tape off the whole tire and behind the wheel to stay off the brakes and stuff right? Then just go to town spraying? I think I can handle that.
Yup! or buy some play cards to stick in between the wheel and tired . Like some have did to make cleaning up easier.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Kicknyoace

That video showed it coming off the tire easy which was cool. Any idea how many cans for 4 wheels needed?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #13
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS, 2009 GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Yup! or buy some play cards to stick in between the wheel and tired . Like some have did to make cleaning up easier.
This is what I did, I went white so didn't want it on the tires. Just took each wheel off, lots of index cards around the wheel/tire edge and went to work.

Quote:
That video showed it coming off the tire easy which was cool. Any idea how many cans for 4 wheels needed?
I bought 5 but used 4 cans, I'd rather have more than not enough
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #14
Kicknyoace

Thanks