Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
3Black
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6
I honestly think that faulty o2 sensors are causing everything. P015d is delayed o2 response which can make my car to run lean causing it to overheat. There is no way I have a clogged cat, i checked them a month ago and i don't have any sort of loss of power or anything. Backfiring can also be linked to P015d because the car is confused with gas/air. Ill fix the o2 sensors and have my shop run diagnostic and if it still has problems, I will put stock cats on and take it in to the dealer.
3Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #30
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensjeff View Post
Since you already decided to add the HFC's, why not just take it to a reliable tuner/Performance shop and have them do the work. Codes get fixed, car gets tuned and you're good to go. There are probably 10 such shops per square mile out in California.
My very first mod was Borla Catback exhaust system, but my research showed a tune was not needed (and it wasn't needed). Car still ran great and sounded much better.
I really like my dealer's service dept/advisor. But I wouldn't take this kind of problem to them since it appears you are causing you're own problem.
And stop fooling yourself about the Magnuson-Moss Act being 10,000% on your side and it scaring dealers into doing what you want. Nice in theory, but that's not the real world.
I never said such a thing, if they prove to me my car is overheating because of cats, then so be it. I'm pretty sure I know what is wrong with my car, and it should be a cheap fix, but if the fix doesn't work, i will put on stock cats again.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #31
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...their-meanings

Just found this. According to this list the P015 is relates to camshaft position "Timing over-retarded(bank 1)"

The important thing to do is to find which system is the problem and which is the symptom. Probably the easiest thing to check would be to remove the cats and inspect them. It is possible that they could both fail at the same time, but highly unlikely, unless failure was caused by something upstream. If possible, put on the stock cats, and see what happens.

If the cats are the problem, then the 015 is the ecm pulling timing to protect the engine and the amount required is exceeding it's parameters.

The overheating and backfire could then be due to the excessive backpressure in the exhaust manifold. This could cause the cylinder pressures to skyrocket as well as the heat due to exhaust gas still present.

However, the fact that both catalyst banks are reading below threshold, really points upstream. It is just so unlikely that both cats, or even sensors would fail at the same time, if that is the cause.

Now, add that you have physical, mechanical symptoms. Overheating and backfire. These types of things are not typical of faulty sensors. Sure the engine may not run correctly when these things fail, but rarely, if ever, would their failure lead to an overheat condition or even backfire. There almost had to be a part failure going on.

If it were me, and my car was under warranty, I would put the stock system back on, and run it into the dealer. The real issue you may run into is that any savvy technitian might see that the stock cats had been removed.

I also reserve the right to be wrong, as I am not a professional. Just coming from my own shade tree knowledge base and experience with some info thrown at me from a brother who has done this for a living for a very long time, on GM vehicles.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #32
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/s...their-meanings

Just found this. According to this list the P015 is relates to camshaft position "Timing over-retarded(bank 1)"

The important thing to do is to find which system is the problem and which is the symptom. Probably the easiest thing to check would be to remove the cats and inspect them. It is possible that they could both fail at the same time, but highly unlikely, unless failure was caused by something upstream. If possible, put on the stock cats, and see what happens.

If the cats are the problem, then the 015 is the ecm pulling timing to protect the engine and the amount required is exceeding it's parameters.

The overheating and backfire could then be due to the excessive backpressure in the exhaust manifold. This could cause the cylinder pressures to skyrocket as well as the heat due to exhaust gas still present.

However, the fact that both catalyst banks are reading below threshold, really points upstream. It is just so unlikely that both cats, or even sensors would fail at the same time, if that is the cause.

Now, add that you have physical, mechanical symptoms. Overheating and backfire. These types of things are not typical of faulty sensors. Sure the engine may not run correctly when these things fail, but rarely, if ever, would their failure lead to an overheat condition or even backfire. There almost had to be a part failure going on.

If it were me, and my car was under warranty, I would put the stock system back on, and run it into the dealer. The real issue you may run into is that any savvy technitian might see that the stock cats had been removed.

I also reserve the right to be wrong, as I am not a professional. Just coming from my own shade tree knowledge base and experience with some info thrown at me from a brother who has done this for a living for a very long time, on GM vehicles.
Thanks for the info, but you looked at the wrong code. Based on that page, p0015 is camshaft, my code is p015 which just says slow response o2 sensor on that site. The rest of the info is good though, and worries me a little
Old 03-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #33
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Something is causing it to pull timing. That will make it run hot.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #34
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Something is causing it to pull timing. That will make it run hot.
how much damage would something like this cause
Old 03-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #35
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
I would be willing to bet you have a plugged catalytic converter. If you have a neighbor that doesn't like you, I would also check for a "banana in the tailpipe"!

The slow 02 sensor is because the exhaust isn't flowing out that side, causing the sensor to appear slow.
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #36
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
I would be willing to bet you have a plugged catalytic converter. If you have a neighbor that doesn't like you, I would also check for a "banana in the tailpipe"!

The slow 02 sensor is because the exhaust isn't flowing out that side, causing the sensor to appear slow.
I was thinking of that too
Old 04-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #37
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Did you ever get this issue figured out?
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #38
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I am not able to look into those codes, but I associate the rotten egg smell with cat problems...a sulfur type smell.
Rotten eggs, definitely clogged/plugged cats. Whatever the OP thinks his issue is, that rotten egg smell has only come from one place on any car I have ever owned...

Last edited by Criticalmass; 04-06-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #39
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Black View Post
Thanks for the info, but you looked at the wrong code. Based on that page, p0015 is camshaft, my code is p015 which just says slow response o2 sensor on that site. The rest of the info is good though, and worries me a little
Did you use the "ctrl+f" search method? When I did this it took me to "p0150" which is the slow response code. Which may be the one you meant in your post. However, I read it a p015. Now, this site puts all the codes in a 4 number format to allow for the manufacturer specific codes.

Many code readers will display codes in three number format, so it would read "P015" which would translate to "P0015". If it were the slow response code, your code reader would read "P150 or P151". Unless of course in your post you meant to type 150 or 151, simple mistake, but two very different things.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #40
3Black
Account Suspended

I took my car to my shop and they disassembled my cats and they were fine. He replaced my O2 sensors because I screwed them up when installing the cats. Oddly, that seemed to fix all my problems. I've had the car back for a couple weeks and I have not heard bubbling, smelled anything, or felt anything abnormal like I used to. One time the car got up to 214 degress in stop n go traffic on a hot day but that's normal. The car runs at 198-205 degrees all the time now. Also my P015D code is gone.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:42 PM   #41
GAFreddy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS & 2013 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
also it's a federal law violation to replace stock cats that are working properly.

GAFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:15 PM   #42
3Black
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTex View Post
Cops never give me crap.