Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
bowoah.fivefive

Drives: 2010 CAMARO LT
V6 noise on startup....couple days later SHTF

Help. Car made funny noise on startup. Parked it until I had time to get to oil change I knew I needed. Went to jiffy lube (mistake) got oil changed. Late the same day rattling noise that I hear on startup is now there while driving. I parked ride with a friend.

I Come back to the car start it up. Hear the rattle. I pull off I'm On the way home maybe a 5 mile drive noise get worse engine light comes on I drive 25mph home Parked overnight. Started this morning and it sounds like death is upon me. *tears.

Anyone had similar problems and can point me in the right direction? Any mechanics in DC MD VA area wanna be paid for their expertise.

If have any questions feel free. Save sarcasm for once I know the problem

I'm mobile!
bowoah.fivefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Gee
Silver Ice

Drives: 2011 1LT Coupe SIM
OK. Rattle is usually bad after having someone else do your oil change. This is what i would do. CHeck your dip stick. Make sure they didnt underfill your oil. You need 6 quarts for your car. Check your receipt. Make sure they used 5w-30 and that 6 quarts was used. Your dip stick should read at least half way in between those X's. If they failed to use the right oil and they failed to put in the right about of oil, then well. They just bought you a brand new engine. Good luck let me know if i can help.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
2010 V6's had a tendency to sometimes use oil. It's possible yours was one of them. How often do you check your oil level? It should be done at every fuel stop or at least every other one. Also what type oil was used? It needs to be at least a synthetic blend not just regular oil.
Good luck but it does not sound good. One thing is check your warranty status. You have a 5 year or 100,000 mile power train warranty.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee View Post
OK. Rattle is usually bad after having someone else do your oil change. This is what i would do. CHeck your dip stick. Make sure they didnt underfill your oil. You need 6 quarts for your car. Check your receipt. Make sure they used 5w-30 and that 6 quarts was used. Your dip stick should read at least half way in between those X's. If they failed to use the right oil and they failed to put in the right about of oil, then well. They just bought you a brand new engine. Good luck let me know if i can help.
If the noise was there before his oil change and just got worse afterwards then it probably isn't due to the oil change itself.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
If the noise was there before his oil change and just got worse afterwards then it probably isn't due to the oil change itself.
Good point. My bad. Shouldve read it twice. Didnt realize the noise was before the oil change.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #6
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Yah good luck in proving that they did not put enough oil in the car , They will never admit to it and proving they screwed up is pretty much impossible , I once made a boneheaded move and let walmart change my oil years ago in a Durango they never put the oil cap on and I burned up all the rings and seals , Suv was junk and I never got a dime , They got lots of Lawyers just waiting to defend
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
With Jiffy Lube, it doesn't matter what they sell you, what's on the receipt, what they billed you for, what they NEEDED to do, what they said they did... the actuality will be entirely different, as they ONLY make money by bullshitting people. If you pay for an oil change, and they even TOUCH the components that require oil, you are doing pretty good... them actually changing the oil would be nothing short of miraculous. To change the filter, too? AND actually do the transmission flush, the Fetzer valve rebuild, the timing chain reconditioning, and the valve removal, as they charged $540.08 for? Not gonna happen. Ever.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Try to listen to where the rattle is coming from. It's hard to give you an educated guess with the information you provided.
With the age of your car my bet is the exhaust.
Let someone that knows what they are doing look at it.
Probably something minor, good luck.
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
bowoah.fivefive

Quote:
2010 V6's had a tendency to sometimes use oil. It's possible yours was one of them. How often do you check your oil level? It should be done at every fuel stop or at least every other one. Also what type oil was used? It needs to be at least a synthetic blend not just regular oil.

Good luck but it does not sound good. One thing is check your warranty status. You have a 5 year or 100,000 mile power train warranty.

I purchased used. Would I still be covered?

I'm mobile!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
bowoah.fivefive

V6 noise on startup....couple days later SHTF

Let me add one detail I missed. I drove 25 mph home because the noise was accompanied by an engine knock. And engine light.

On startup now it shakes like crazy. And I think im screwed.

And question about that 5yr 100k drive train warranty. Would I be covered if I purchased used. Would an aftermarket exhaust and CAI void that?

I'm mobile!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #11
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
get the code(s) read and go from there.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Gee
Silver Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowoah.fivefive View Post
Let me add one detail I missed. I drove 25 mph home because the noise was accompanied by an engine knock. And engine light.

On startup now it shakes like crazy. And I think im screwed.

And question about that 5yr 100k drive train warranty. Would I be covered if I purchased used. Would an aftermarket exhaust and CAI void that?

I'm mobile!
The factory warranty follows the vehicle. So does the extended warranty, but if I am not mistaken, it has to be requested to be transferred to your name through GM.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
O Check your receipt. Make sure they used 5w-30 and that 6 quarts was used. Y
Quote:
Also what type oil was used? It needs to be at least a synthetic blend not just regular oil.
not using the right oil isn't going to damage the engine, not short term anyways. the biggest reason you need to use a DEXOS oil is for the OLM calibration.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBS View Post
Yah good luck in proving that they did not put enough oil in the car , They will never admit to it and proving they screwed up is pretty much impossible , I once made a boneheaded move and let walmart change my oil years ago in a Durango they never put the oil cap on and I burned up all the rings and seals , Suv was junk and I never got a dime , They got lots of Lawyers just waiting to defend

most jiffy lubes carry insurance for when they have to replace motors and transmissions. but a lot of places will first try to get the technician to pay for it himself. usually they quit, and after that it's turned over to insurance. basically, it's the same insurance that covers them if they drive your car into another, or the door, or scratch it etc. as far as walmart, never took a car there for anything other than tires, but I did know a guy who was fairly high up in the loss prevention department. He had told me they replace cars all the time because of stupid things the techs do. forget to put filters back on, lug nuts, etc, etc. He told me they tended to replace the vehicle because people tended to drop it when the did that instead of fighting in court for lost wages and other damages.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote