Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
You have to find your own faceplate currently but Ofer is working to source those, either scenario is easy though. If you don't want to buy extra parts or mess with wires or cables you definitely don't want aftermarket then LOL
Well there is the Chinese Android Unit, I was between them both but MyLink won so far for me as I have been committed to it as you know. I got a steal of a deal though (including your programming price)

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #16
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
I have a Pioneer AVH-X8500 and the Scosche kit. Solder, or splice the speaker wires along with the harness that comes with the Scosche and your set. Buy an HDMI adapter, and use your phones GPS/Nav on the head unit touchscreen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #17
ben3350

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
I have a Pioneer AVH-X8500 and the Scosche kit. Solder, or splice the speaker wires along with the harness that comes with the Scosche and your set. Buy an HDMI adapter, and use your phones GPS/Nav on the head unit touchscreen.

Are you selling it or just saying you have it? If so, how much are you selling for?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #18
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS A/T
Send a message via MSN to camarograna2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPprix View Post
I don't think so really (yes I'm biased) but you get equipment thats designed to work in the car and its basically damn near plug and play with the kit.
Mylink has reported issues and Gm wont fix it if you upgrade so yes your biased. Anyone upgrading either to metra/scosche or to mylink upgrade from gen5diy is risking that it wont work properly
Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM   #19
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
Mylink has reported issues and Gm wont fix it if you upgrade so yes your biased. Anyone upgrading either to metra/scosche or to mylink upgrade from gen5diy is risking that it wont work properly
The overwhelming majority of issues were already fixed in a recent base software upgrade for both 13/14. Every radio for the GEN5DIY kits not only has this base software upgrade but our retrofit software as well to function properly in an older vehicle.

Should GM decide to issue another software update for any reason we can update them. They can and do work properly as intended with the hardware in the car.
GTPprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarograna2 View Post
Not true at all - the MyLink issues are minimal software glitches that GM has already corrected with an update.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
Jayrcr3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
Are you selling it or just saying you have it? If so, how much are you selling for?
I guess I should have worded it differently.
I was just trying to say that it's easier and cheaper to go after market, and pretty much get all the features that you get with MyLink. You would have to purchase an extra module from Scosche for On Star to work, but I don't use it anyway. I think it's about $40. It would be under a grand to buy a new head unit and the Scosche kit.

American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #22
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
It's under a grand to buy the mylink kit from gen5diy
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

The fact is that you won't get GM warranty with the mylink upgrade. I don't think screens dying is a software issue. I've read that's a problem in the cold weather
Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #24
ben3350

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
It's under a grand to buy the mylink kit from gen5diy
If I can get everything I need for the install for the mylink kit for under a grand, I would totally do it.

But the kit is around a grand, and even then you need a faceplate, which costs around 500, and mine is a 2010 so the antennae needs to be replaced for a different one, there are many other things I would have to get sorted out. It will cost me well over a grand. But if you have a way for it to cost me under a grand for everything, I will definitely go that route.

But a scosche/alpine kit, a decent HU, and a few adaptors will keep me WELL under a grand if I so choose. I can go over it as well, but I can get something almost identical in features to the mylink for way cheaper. Both come with no GM warranty, but at least the scosche kit and HU will have a manufacture warranty if you buy new from an authorized dealer.

If GM offered a warranty on the conversion kits, then maybe I would do it, but aftermarket is still cheaper and can do all the same things.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
Jayrcr3

An aftermarket head unit will also be better for when you decide to add the amp subs and speakers you will want about 6weeks after you install the new HU and Scosche kit. Lol:-)

Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #26
camarograna2
Car Enthusiast

Correct u will get a cleaner signal from an aftermarket head unit
Old 02-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
ben3350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
An aftermarket head unit will also be better for when you decide to add the amp subs and speakers you will want about 6weeks after you install the new HU and Scosche kit. Lol:-)

haha it was the other way around for me. I upgraded my speakers to JL C5's, put a JL 10w7 sub in the trunk, and powered them with 2 JL slash amps. Just days later, I am shopping for a new head unit! haha

Before the speaker/amp upgrade, the thought hadn't even crossed my mind lol
Old 02-13-2014, 08:58 PM   #28
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I'm confused.....what does the kit include from Gen5diy? I was up on Ofer's website and I didn't see anything like this. Does anyone have pictures of what his kit contains?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote