Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 AM   #29
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuspid View Post
what if you had a extended warranty? Wouldn't it be covered then.
Depends. The same rules that apply to a warranty also apply to an extended warranty.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #30
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
i have a mustang, and i have a custom tune...i always tune my car back to stock when i bring it in for service...you guys can't do that with the Camaro??? if not, that stinks

and they really shouldn't have denied him warranty...not like his mods caused the problem...i would have fought it

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #31
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad2009 View Post
i have a mustang, and i have a custom tune...i always tune my car back to stock when i bring it in for service...you guys can't do that with the Camaro??? if not, that stinks

and they really shouldn't have denied him warranty...not like his mods caused the problem...i would have fought it
We can flash back to the stock tune. The problem is the supposed "flash counter" in our ECMs.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #32
ABM/IOM

Drives: aqua blue ls and inferno orange ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Those darn aftermarket calibrations are always causing oil leaks. Something within the coding causing microwave signals that rapidly deteriorate the engine gaskets. That's gotta be it, cause we know they would follow the law properly, and only deny warranty if the modification was the cause of the failure.

I guess they have more than enough customers and can afford to stab their performance car enthusiasts in the back.
#1 thing is the factory can't deny a claim unless they can prove the mod caused the leak,(which we all know did not). It is a known fact that the ls3 engines are notorious for leaking at the gasket and oil cooler gasket as well. It's a problem that GM has known about for years. So for them to deny the claim solely based on the tune is B.S.
I spoke with the techs at the dealer where i go and asked them that very question, because i have an exhaust, C.A.I. and a tune. They recommended to only remove the tune if i am coming in for an issue that would require the dealer to flash the ecm. He said that most techs could care less what bolt-on mods are done to the car, because the tech wants to make a paycheck. If a claim is denied, the tech won't make any money for the repair.
so the fact that the tech at THIS chevy dealership sent the ecm in to G.M. is horseshit. The ecm should have not even be looked at. It's an OIL LEAK. At least i know that when i take my car in for service i'll gat taken care of.
ABM/IOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #33
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
No sympathy here. 5 years isn't very long to have to wait for a warranty to run out.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #34
Angelsilhouette

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS, Red Jewel
Pfft. Good luck getting equal or better treatment at a Ford dealership. I've never known anyone who's been treated well at one. Ford doesn't really seem to like their customers all that much.

Angelsilhouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #35
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

I'm not aware of any flash counters. There is a code in there to tell whether it is the factory tune or not though. Unfortunately guys, if you want to play you have to pay. Some of you know from the get go that if you do this or that mod that you may have a chance of voiding your warranty. The equation is really simple, if you are afraid of losing your warranty then don't do anything that will jeopardize your warranty situation.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #36
The Stig

That's why I said supposed flash counter. From what I have heard it's still up in the air if the camaro has one. Either or I go back to stock tune when she goes to the dealer.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #37
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I'll give you a little insight as to why stuff like this happens. The techs names are tech1 and tech2.
Tech1 is a hard worker, doesnt care about warranty pay because he is fast and just wants to move on to the next car. In other words he just gets it done and doesn't waste his time trying to get out of a job. Basically he just gets the job done.

Tech2 is lazy. He's been at the dealership for years. He thinks he has put his time in so he doesn't want to do any hard jobs and basically is s cherry picker. He still has to pull jobs out of the computer like everyone else, but he'll waste time trying to get out of doing something he doesn't like to do. So if he can get your warranty voided and make the customer pay instead of warranty....he just made more money on the same job. You should note, warranty pay is less hours than customer pay. It makes techs become douches too.

Now think about this. If you encounter tech2, and your modded, it's likely he'll do whatever he can in his douchebag power to get your warranty voided. You encounter tech1, he's gonna just get the job done.

Can you tell that I work at a dealership? Well I do and have been for about 6 years now. I work with a tech1 and a tech2....the reality is quite sad, but it's how people are. Of course there are all in-between models of techs....but I just used the two extreme cases. Funny thing is, I could show this post to a co-worker and they could spit the two names of the techs out that I'm describing. So hopefully, most of us won't encounter a tech2...but they are everywhere.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #38
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsekack View Post
Yea I'm pretty sure he could have fought that one and won. The tune may void your warranty of electronics but if it can't be proven that it was directly linked to the leak then it is still covered by law( the one place the law protects us car enthusiasts for a change).
No he couldn't have. This topic has been covered to heath here, the ECM controls the way the engine operates, you change it you void your warranty, end of story. There is no law involved. Whether we feel that is "the right thing to do" is irrelevant, other manufacturers do the same thing (Ford included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
The tech that did this should go to some kind of car hell for doing this. It takes a certain kind of tech to take the time to send gm a picture of the gm calibration data because he didn't want to fix an oil leak for warranty pay.
Or maybe he looked under the car and under the hood and saw all the mods. Also they don't have to send to GM to check it they can tell right when they plug it in if it has a tune. Plus this guy has a job with a standard operating procedure, if it was me and my boss said you plug in every car, you're damn right I'm plugging every car in. My job is not worth risking so you can mod your ride.

Everyone acts like this is surprising, when companies foreign and domestic have been looking for reasons to void warranties for years! Subaru gave SCCA memberships with Subaru WRX's then voided peoples warranties when they caught them autocrossing. Mitsubishi went to track days, got the entry lists and voided warrantys on Evolutions for racing.

Is it "the right thing to do"? I believe we can all agree no, but its their money and their warranty, so thats what they do.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #39
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
I'll give you a little insight as to why stuff like this happens. The techs names are tech1 and tech2.
Tech1 is a hard worker, doesnt care about warranty pay because he is fast and just wants to move on to the next car. In other words he just gets it done and doesn't waste his time trying to get out of a job. Basically he just gets the job done.

Tech2 is lazy. He's been at the dealership for years. He thinks he has put his time in so he doesn't want to do any hard jobs and basically is s cherry picker. He still has to pull jobs out of the computer like everyone else, but he'll waste time trying to get out of doing something he doesn't like to do. So if he can get your warranty voided and make the customer pay instead of warranty....he just made more money on the same job. You should note, warranty pay is less hours than customer pay. It makes techs become douches too.

Now think about this. If you encounter tech2, and your modded, it's likely he'll do whatever he can in his douchebag power to get your warranty voided. You encounter tech1, he's gonna just get the job done.

Can you tell that I work at a dealership? Well I do and have been for about 6 years now. I work with a tech1 and a tech2....the reality is quite sad, but it's how people are. Of course there are all in-between models of techs....but I just used the two extreme cases. Funny thing is, I could show this post to a co-worker and they could spit the two names of the techs out that I'm describing. So hopefully, most of us won't encounter a tech2...but they are everywhere.
Hahaha, the GM Tech 2 is the name of the handheld module to check engine codes... looks like we've always got Tech 2, we're screwed!!

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #40
2010cantwait
not waiting anymore

Drives: vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsekack View Post
Yea I'm pretty sure he could have fought that one and won. The tune may void your warranty of electronics but if it can't be proven that it was directly linked to the leak then it is still covered by law( the one place the law protects us car enthusiasts for a change).
But I think the cost of the new gasket is much less than legal fees to fight GM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #41
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
pay to play, doesn't matter what brand you drive..he's going to wish he would've kept the Gen 5.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #42
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
This is widely spoken about on every forum all over the internet. It isnt a suprise that tampeing with the factory tune voids the warrenty....

As I have said in the past many times, research mods before you do them..... Use the forum tools search or even google.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote