Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #15
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
IIRC, If your car (non-ss) came with smaller 18/19" wheels, then a spare tire would fit in the spare tire well just fine.

However, if you had for example an SS with the 20" wheels and brembo brakes, a smaller wheel would not clear the brembo's so it couldn't be used as a spare without using an aftermarket spacer, and a 20" wheel wouldn't fit in the spare tire well.

Add to that the common practice these days of people having a cell phone, AAA, or OnStar, and GM decided to go with providing the small pump fitted with the 'fix-a-flat' canister.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im sure the $$$ they saved wasnt considered...LOL
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Don't forget the locking lug removal tool also.

The guys at Discount Tire looked at me like I was nuts when I told them GM didn't give me one.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:33 PM   #18
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
IIRC, If your car (non-ss) came with smaller 18/19" wheels, then a spare tire would fit in the spare tire well just fine.

However, if you had for example an SS with the 20" wheels and brembo brakes, a smaller wheel would not clear the brembo's so it couldn't be used as a spare without using an aftermarket spacer, and a 20" wheel wouldn't fit in the spare tire well.

Add to that the common practice these days of people having a cell phone, AAA, or OnStar, and GM decided to go with providing the small pump fitted with the 'fix-a-flat' canister.
Why wouldn't a 20" wheel fit? It's not like the tire is larger in diameter by the same amount, it's just the rim.

It's a cost saving feature for GM. I'm sure they could've designed a spare tire that could fit over the Brembos and also fit in the spare tire well if they wanted too.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Why wouldn't a 20" wheel fit? It's not like the tire is larger in diameter by the same amount, it's just the rim.

It's a cost saving feature for GM. I'm sure they could've designed a spare tire that could fit over the Brembos and also fit in the spare tire well if they wanted too.
It's all about MPG mandates. Every ounce, you know.
There aren't very many new cars that come with spares anymore. And fewer drivers than ever that would know how to use one.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #20
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I'm comfortable with the added weight reduction. The coyote mustangs I beat, not so much
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 PM   #21
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

This is what I was told by GM years ago.
Can you positively confirm that an SS 20" wheel/tire will fit in the spare tire well?

It may also depend on the rim width?
Old 05-29-2019, 09:13 PM   #22
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
This is what I was told by GM years ago.
Can you positively confirm that an SS 20" wheel/tire will fit in the spare tire well?

It may also depend on the rim width?
I can't confirm the 20", but I'm pretty sure, just by eyeballing it, that the base 18" rim and tire would fit in the well.

Width wise, no. Even the base 18"×7.5" rim would inhibit the spare tire cover panel from going on flush with the bottom of trunk.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #23
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
IIRC both 18s and 20s are 28.7 inches tall.
Should fit but the width would probably be the issue.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:04 AM   #24
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
It's all about MPG mandates. Every ounce, you know.
There aren't very many new cars that come with spares anymore. And fewer drivers than ever that would know how to use one.
True. And a disturbing trend in general. If it doesn’t have a keypad and fit in your hand, they’re fooked.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #25
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
When I bought my SS new in 2011, I picked up an OEM factory front rim on this site, and got a jack, handle, and lug wrench from the dealer. Purchased a new tire to mount on the rim and threw it all in my trunk. The full sized spare is strapped down in the trunk and is ready to go if I ever have a flat.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 AM   #26
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
When I bought my SS new in 2011, I picked up an OEM factory front rim on this site, and got a jack, handle, and lug wrench from the dealer. Purchased a new tire to mount on the rim and threw it all in my trunk. The full sized spare is strapped down in the trunk and is ready to go if I ever have a flat.
For the record, what wheel/tire size is the spare that you bought, and have you ever mounted it on your car ?

Just curious about the stories I've heard that the smaller wheel sizes won't clear Brembo brakes. and the wheels that DO clear the Brembo brakes won't fit in the spare tire well.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:12 AM   #27
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
Quote:

don't forget that certain cars come with run flats and so that helps alleviate the need for a spare, along with what you mentioned.
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:17 AM   #28
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm96z28 View Post
That's what I did too. But this takes up most of the trunk, so eventually I gave up on it, even on long trips. Actually, particularly on long trips, because then luggage has to go in the back seat.

Now 69,000 plus miles without a flat. I know it's a gamble...
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote