Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
cobaltss21

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS
Buying high mileage 1le

Hey guys, I've got a couple friends that are backing up on buying a 2015 camaro 1ss/rs 1le for 24k with roughly 55k miles on it. One says that's I'll be completely happy with the car and that I should go test drive it and see how the clutch is and how it runs. The other says to stay away from the car because of the mileage and that the car has been beaten. My question is that with the car being 2 years old now with the miles on it, should I even take a look at it and is there anyone that has bought a high mileage ss with any problems? Any feedback would be appreciated! And btw I'm going from a 2014 camaro 2lt auto with 22k miles
cobaltss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 AM   #2
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
I had my car for 3 years and just hit 32k which is more then I wanted to put on, but yea 55k is a lot of miles for 2 years. I personally would not buy it. You can probably find a similar deal with lower miles if you keep looking.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #3
Kainzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
24k with 55k is not a good deal. There's one here with 11k miles for 25k.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:20 AM   #4
CanyonSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Mine had alot of miles on it, but one owner local. Extremely well maintained. Shiftgreen is right, after 2 years that is a lot. Makes me wonder about it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace." -- George Washington
Old 02-23-2017, 02:28 AM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I bought my '11 SS in Nov. '14 with 60K on it. it now has 95K and still runs and drives great. $24K for a '15 1LE is a pretty good price, and 55K miles in nothing if the car was taken care of. A few burnouts and trips down the strip wouldn't scare me off, that's what the damn thing was made for.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Depending on when the car was purchased it could have 3 yrs of mileage on it and it could be commuter mileage...There are probably better deals out there if you're willing to put the time in looking, if not then you will have to settle for what is convenient...I think the average yearly mileage is around 12k so it's 19,000 over, this however could give you a great bargaining position if you're really interested in that specific vehicle...At that cost you might even consider a ZL1 as there are some great deals on them currently...Lots of vehicles on this site are for sale as well...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:07 AM   #7
Caseyls3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Good lord - since when is 55k miles "high miles"? I understand those were racked up in 2 years but that likely means they are highway miles which are much easier on the car. As long as it has been maintained the miles would not scare me. The price does seem a bit high though.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert - Jewel Red Tintcoat, 6M, 231/247 Comp Cam, Kooks headers, Borla ATAK, ATI under drive pulley, Richmond 4.10s, LS9 clutch, Hurst shifter, BMR Springs
Caseyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
cobaltss21

The car was first purchased in July of 14 so technically it's 2 and half years old from now. I've been looking for awhile and the majority of the ss's I've found are automatic, which I have now and want a manual again, and there's another 15 1le with 26k miles on it for almost 28k. On cargurus they have that market value section where it shows if the car is a good price or not and the 1LE with 55k is obviously above market. The mileage does worry and the ware and tear but as many of you have said if it's mainly high way mileage it would be worth it, I only drive about 4 to 5 miles a day to work so racking up mileage on my end won't be an issue
Old 02-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyls3 View Post
Good lord - since when is 55k miles "high miles"? I understand those were racked up in 2 years but that likely means they are highway miles which are much easier on the car. As long as it has been maintained the miles would not scare me. The price does seem a bit high though.
I agree. If the car has been maintained properly, that level of mileage is not an issue. I would negotiate on the price if you like the car otherwise. These are lower priced (relative) sports cars, and were meant to be driven and not warehoused for the 2050 Barrett-Jackson Auction....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Depends on how it drives and was taken care of. How are the tires, how does it go down the road- straight, is the steering wheel straight, shifting good, no grinds or notchiness? Look at the engine, engine bay and especially underneath- any oil leaks?
You could also have the car inspected by an independent garage you can trust. Also check and research the value of the car with those miles to make sure the deal is right. Being used, look up what maintenance will be required and be prepared and budget for all fluids to be changed, etc.
JT58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
cobaltss21

http://www.cogginchevrolet.com/Vehic...-FL/2942837853

This is the car in question and it looks pretty clean inside and out but obviously pictures can make anything look good unless there's major damage done. All in all I just wanna make sure if this is the car I purchase that if the price can be negotiated down and my trade is good that I won't have any major problems with it having higher mileage.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #12
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Our 2013 1LE which we got right before Memorial Day weekend 2013, so approaching 4 years old (in about 3 months) has about 48,500 on it. The only issue I feel we have is the rear end seems to not "posi" all the time even though it was serviced at the recommended interval. I would not at all be worried about a car with 55K on it. I suggest finding local deals of similar cars with less miles that are going for less to use the higher mileage to get yourself a better price, but the car is most likely fine. Of course you will have to check it out like any other used vehicle. As far as Coggin Jacksonville goes, we bought my wife's Avalanche there a few years back, and they seem like good people. We did not get the best deal, but got a decent one, and buying low mileage Avalanches right after they quit making them was not a good buyers market! Good luck!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
cobaltss21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Our 2013 1LE which we got right before Memorial Day weekend 2013, so approaching 4 years old (in about 3 months) has about 48,500 on it. The only issue I feel we have is the rear end seems to not "posi" all the time even though it was serviced at the recommended interval. I would not at all be worried about a car with 55K on it. I suggest finding local deals of similar cars with less miles that are going for less to use the higher mileage to get yourself a better price, but the car is most likely fine. Of course you will have to check it out like any other used vehicle. As far as Coggin Jacksonville goes, we bought my wife's Avalanche there a few years back, and they seem like good people. We did not get the best deal, but got a decent one, and buying low mileage Avalanches right after they quit making them was not a good buyers market! Good luck!
When text driving the car did you feel like the rear end was a bit sloppy?

Jacksonville is about 3 hours from me and I want a 1le specifically instead of a regular ss so that's what I'm on the look out for and there's only 2 within a 3 hours ride, this one and another that has less features for 28k, I've been looking for awhile and eventually want to get one but don't want to jump the gun and make a mistake buying car that has or will have issues
Old 02-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltss21 View Post
When text driving the car did you feel like the rear end was a bit sloppy?

Jacksonville is about 3 hours from me and I want a 1le specifically instead of a regular ss so that's what I'm on the look out for and there's only 2 within a 3 hours ride, this one and another that has less features for 28k, I've been looking for awhile and eventually want to get one but don't want to jump the gun and make a mistake buying car that has or will have issues
I may not have been clear. We bought the car new about 4 years ago. I started to notice the rear end blowing the right rear loose on its own first during tight right handed corners. It will also happen on slick roads going in a straight line. In both cases, it is not all the time. Good chance the dealer did not put in the additive that they said they did when they serviced it.
I agree with your desire for a 1LE vs a standard SS. Test drove both and would not have bought a Camaro if the 1LE package was not available. When you test drive one, do it aggressively and put the rear end under a load in a tight corner, as well as what others have mentioned. You will know after you drive the car in my opinion.
If I was free this weekend I would go to Coggin and look at the car for you. They are only about an hour away, but I have meetings this weekend and family commitments next weekend, so I could not do it then.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote