Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
yeyeman9

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2012 2LT
Is it ok to drive in the snow?

Hey Guys,

I might be moving up to the North East in July and I was wondering if it is ok to drive my V6 camaro in the snow? I heard from some people that camaro's tires are all-weather. But just want to confirm with you guys. Is it safe to drive it in the snow, or what should I do?

Thanks!
yeyeman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
no
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeyeman9 View Post
Hey Guys,

I might be moving up to the North East in July and I was wondering if it is ok to drive my V6 camaro in the snow? I heard from some people that camaro's tires are all-weather. But just want to confirm with you guys. Is it safe to drive it in the snow, or what should I do?

Thanks!
Assuming you have OE tires, still...and no RS package (halo headlights)...survey says: Yes, your tires are all-season...you can drive in the snow. Just as long as you keep traction control on and be careful...I wouldn't want the salt all over my car, though. Your decision, there.

Since you're moving up here in July...I would recommend looking into a set of winter tires and wheels before winter hits in October/November...

You can tell for sure if your tires are all-season by looking up the name on the sidewall in Google or another search engine. The manufacturer's site will come up and you can read all about them.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
With proper snow tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks or Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice, you should do fine in snow. I'm running Blizzaks and did fine last winter in 4" of snow on the road.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet)

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS M6 RRM NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
no
I Agree! I heard some guys do fine with snow tires, but I will never drive my Camaro in the snow. Just due to the fact that I do not want any salt rusting out my car. I mean its your decision. Just my opinion.
Ertter11 (Silver Bullet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
DJ UNKNOWN

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel RS
I don't know what tires you have but the pirelli's suck ass in bad weather! You better get a truck, lol....
DJ UNKNOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Khmero215

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
I wouldn't recommend it
Khmero215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
For the cost of a set of snow tires and rims for your Camaro you can buy a beater with a heater and learn how to drive in the snow. That way if you lose control and crash your ride it's not your cool ride you crash. Also, given the way other idiots drive chances are good someone else will run into you and again, you'll be happy you weren't in your Camaro.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
For the cost of a set of snow tires and rims for your Camaro you can buy a beater with a heater and learn how to drive in the snow. That way if you lose control and crash your ride it's not your cool ride you crash. Also, given the way other idiots drive chances are good someone else will run into you and again, you'll be happy you weren't in your Camaro.
That and depending on where your going you don't want road salt all over your car. And no. Going through a car wash won't wash it off.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #10
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Ive driven in snow on the p-zero's and on drag radials! If its not real thick and you dont get stopped on a hill you'll be fine! Just be easy and let the traction control help also
NorthTex45thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 AM   #11
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
No. Your camaro is a rare and exotic car, sculpted to perfection by the best Italian designers and engineers. If taken care off, it will only appreciate in value and pay for all your wishes and dreams during your golden years.

End sarcasm.
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
On fresh snow, no. But most people won't drive on such roads and will travel often where it's plowed or cars have already created tracks. I'm the 1% that often gets the fresh snow and man is it one of the most frustrating but cool experiences ever. I now have Blizzaks though for such occasion.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Really, it's your choice. Get a good set of snow tires and have at it. To the people saying, "Drive it in the snow, salt, cinders and slop...who cares, it's just a car.". Some people take pride in their possessions and want to keep them nice (FYI: salt eats steel). It would be like having new carpeting laid in your house and then trudging around in muddy work boots all over it. "Get over it, it's just carpeting.".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
+1

Thats what I did...either 2k for a set of winter rims and tires, or a little more for a beater. I found a good deal on a PT Cruiser (that I hate driving so much that I call it my clown car)...but now I have something with some cargo room and I don't have to worry about parking lot dings or deer jumping out in front of me.