Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
Solution: Is this causing the headers to whine?

simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
simt3k

Should I take it off?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Are you talking about the heat shield in the background? If so, you could remove it temporarily to make sure that it's the cause. Put it back on and dampen it somehow to keep it from making noise. DO NOT leave it off. There are brake lines and other bits behind it.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
If that heat shield piece you think is causing the noise is a pretty quick job to unbolt and remove then I would probably try that. Take it off and do a quick test drive in the RPM/MPH where the noise is happening. If it still happens then you know its something else, if not then you found the problem. But I don't have experience with headers or working on that area of our cars, so if that piece is a complete b**** to remove then idk. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
simt3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Are you talking about the heat shield in the background? If so, you could remove it temporarily to make sure that it's the cause. Put it back on and dampen it somehow to keep it from making noise. DO NOT leave it off. There are brake lines and other bits behind it.
The heat shield is completely OFF on the other side.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Alrighty Then

Drives: 2010 V6 M6 Camaro
I think that is normal, I have the hood up right now doing an oil change so I just glanced over at it. On the driver's side the heat shield doesn't come as far forward as on the passenger side, you can just barely see it towards the trans tunnel.
Alrighty Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
simt3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrighty Then View Post
I think that is normal, I have the hood up right now doing an oil change so I just glanced over at it. On the driver's side the heat shield doesn't come as far forward as on the passenger side, you can just barely see it towards the trans tunnel.
I think the dealer removed my drivers side shield when I got them to install my headers. That was pricey....
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by simt3k View Post
Since I'm 3,000 miles away and basing my opinion on a video, I'd have to say I don't know- give it a try.

But the image I had when I watched the vid was the heat shield (same material) that runs underneath the car.

As you can see from the piece in the picture, it bends easily and could have inadvertently gotten moved or loosened.

I would simply push that piece back away from the headers, it's there to protect the stuff behind it. If it seems loose, find the attachment points and tighten, but I think you'll find it's secure.

Then get a jack and jackstands, and look under the car- inspecting the same material down the length of the vehicle, looking for loose/bent spots or anything else in close proximity to the length of the exhaust system.

The vibration may not be coming from the headers or the immediate area, but more likely a part of the exhaust that was disturbed by the install of the headers.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll track it down . Let us know when you find it.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Since I'm 3,000 miles away and basing my opinion on a video, I'd have to say I don't know- give it a try.

But the image I had when I watched the vid was the heat shield (same material) that runs underneath the car.

As you can see from the piece in the picture, it bends easily and could have inadvertently gotten moved or loosened.

I would simply push that piece back away from the headers, it's there to protect the stuff behind it. If it seems loose, find the attachment points and tighten, but I think you'll find it's secure.

Then get a jack and jackstands, and look under the car- inspecting the same material down the length of the vehicle, looking for loose/bent spots or anything else in close proximity to the length of the exhaust system.

The vibration may not be coming from the headers or the immediate area, but more likely a part of the exhaust that was disturbed by the install of the headers.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll track it down . Let us know when you find it.
+1
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
simt3k

Tightened the bolts on my headers car is still making noise, Car still whines horribly.

Ugh.. Maybe its the clamped X-pipe?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
CamaroV6
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6 1LT Manual
Quote:
Tightened the bolts on my headers car is still making noise, Car still whines horribly.

Ugh.. Maybe its the clamped X-pipe?
does it whine when your driving????? or when your idling??
CamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
funny I have a whine at idle since my lt install as well. car runs great no whine while driving just at idle. When I pinch the return line of the catch can to the back of the engine the whine goes away. thiught it was the catch can but when i unhooked the can the whine was still there, It seems to be coming from my drivers side near the belts making me wonder if its a loose belt or too tight of a belt.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
simt3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroV6 View Post
does it whine when your driving????? or when your idling??
While driving I think its because of my x pipe being clamped on and the exhaust vibrating against my car.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
While driving I think its because of my x pipe being clamped on and the exhaust vibrating against my car.
I didnt even know the Res X-Pipes could be clamped... I thought it had to be welded
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote