Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
YEAH I GOT SOME ADVICE FOR DRIVING IN SNOW- DONT
I wish I had that option.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #16
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
I think this is kind of a pointless thread especially since he lives in the snow belt and should already know how to drive in the snow, just because its a Camaro doesnt really affect anything IF you already know how to drive in snow..
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #17
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Turn off the grannies and have a blast without the feeling you are burning your expensive tires off

I power slide almost every corner in the winter, its just way to much fun!
(Know your car - know your limits)

Best tip above is to keep a shovel in the trunk, you can rock your way out of almost anything, but the shovel gets you out of everything else. Theres no need for sand bags for weight or anything else - shes penty heavy.

Been running scorpions myself (on 18x8 winter rims) for 3 winters now and its starting to get a little slippery now - the first 2 seasons it was glued to the road.
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #18
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
I think this is kind of a pointless thread especially since he lives in the snow belt and should already know how to drive in the snow, just because its a Camaro doesnt really affect anything IF you already know how to drive in snow..
I sort of agree, in that snow driving is based largely on basic skills, applicable to many different vehicles. However, the OP was only asking for tips on driving in the snow, and he happens to drive a Camaro. And, there are differences in how vehicles of various types perform when it comes to snow driving. The question seems valid, even IF it were specifically asking how to drive a Camaro in the snow... which it implies, but does not clarify.

And, I must disagree entirely with Bizaro's advice for driving in the snow ("DON"T!")... I say, any chance that you get to take it out in the snow, do it! For me, when there's snow on the ground, or even icy conditions, it's play time.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #19
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
I just moved to Columbus 10 days ago from VA and picked up my Camaro 2 days after that so I have no previous experience driving in snow or driving a RWD car. Just trying to be safe... Thanks for all the advice I am getting a shovel asap.
tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
That's the truth. I honestly can't believe dealers let people drive off the lot in winter on the P zero tires. I think it's odd that they want to castrate our key fobs because they are so dangerous, but turning you loose on snowy roads on P Zerotraction tires is apparently not an issue.
So you think dealers should pay to put winter tires on all the in-stock Camaros during winter months? It's not their problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
YEAH I GOT SOME ADVICE FOR DRIVING IN SNOW- DONT
Exactly. I have a Cruze as my DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik13 View Post
I wish I had that option.
You do. Buy something else if you can only afford 1 vehicle.

Quote:
I thought the same exact thing. "Doesn't know how to drive in snowy conditions...buys a RWD muscle car and asks for pointers on an internet forum the morning it snows.". Cue the circus music...

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #21
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Snow tires (are a must), Sand (for weight and can use it on ice to add traction if needed in a parking lot or driveway that's untreated), Shovel thats sturdy enough to dig into hard pack snow, Salt in one those 1 gallon shake dispensers is a nice bonus, A bit over kill but wouldn't hurt get the tow hook that goes into our bumpers and a tow strap that will fit it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #22
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
I live here and I see a lot of people who cant drive in it every time. Hell if it doesn't rain for a few weeks they forget how to drive in that. Don't over estimate the masses they will disappoint you every time if you do.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 PM   #23
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
I just moved to Columbus 10 days ago from VA and picked up my Camaro 2 days after that so I have no previous experience driving in snow or driving a RWD car. Just trying to be safe... Thanks for all the advice I am getting a shovel asap.
Well in that case - leave the grannies on, and never give it gas quickly - especially at speed, it will take off on you in a hurry!

Remember your car can't do 2 things at once - so dont break and turn at the same time (same rule for rain, but its much more obvious in snow), you'll just slide into a curb and mess up a rim (if you are lucky!)

Break early and stay at least 3-4 seconds behind the guy infront of you - if you are being tail gated leave even more space between you and the person infront of you and preferable pull over to let the douche pass (i've been re-ended twice in 3 years... sometimes you just cant avoid retards)

And for the vain side of me -
Get a very soft bristled snow brush for wiping the snow off your car - I made the mistake of using a cheap one the first winter and I'm still trying to claybar out the swirls it leaves.

If it's iced up LEAVE IT THERE! if you try to bang/brush off the ice (especially bad with the trunk lid spoiler) it will also swirl up your paint in a hurry.

Get the mud flap things (check my garage for pics) keeps alot of the dings off the side paint from all the sanding / salting / other crap they put all over the roads.

Good luck with winter! It sucks!
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #24
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Very good advice some of you guys have. For me I have a Camaro and wife has a Jeep. I do take the Camaro out when there is ice and snow out. My advice is pretty much the same. Stop early and smooth. Don't hammer on the gas or brake. Smooth and steady. Sometimes when I come to a complete stop I turn off traction control to help the car get going or I start in a high gear like 3rd. Starting in a higher gear helps a lot for me. Watch the roads and the driver behind you.

The only time I've got stuck was in my ally :/ because I was in a rush one day. My car is lower and our cars in general are low. With that being said plan your routes the best you can. Have salt,shovel and a brush.
Get the ice off your windows because they have to index to open the doors or park in a way the snow is not blowing on your drivers door. Also I'll get snow mats for the inside cuz it gets messy even if you knock your feet off before getting in. Check your battery and tire pressure.

I actually do just find and everyone @ work doesn't know how I do it (magic). I find myself passing most cars on the road however in this weather it's not a race. Use common sense blinker on , lights on.

cliff notes***
Drive smooth and steady when you are accelerating/stopping
Careful with your door when ice is near because it has to index
Check battery and tire pressure
Use turn signals and headlights
Beware of the road and other drivers
Old 01-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #25
tritus

Drives: RIP Camaro/ 6g Mustang GT/Hellcat
Excuse me for not having amazing snow driving skills or not owning a RWD vehicle before. I got my drivers license in Italy and owned a VW Polo FWD with 55hp before I came to the States for College. I did not choose to move here, I would go back to a warmer city if I could choose but I am trying to make the best out of the situation that I am in. I always liked muscle cars and got v6 to get a feel for them before I spend more money in a real muscle car.

It's amazing how many great people are on this forum and helped me find my car and with many other stupid questions that I asked them...
tritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #26
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Attached Images

TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #27
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
I live here and I see a lot of people who cant drive in it every time. Hell if it doesn't rain for a few weeks they forget how to drive in that. Don't over estimate the masses they will disappoint you every time if you do.
Oh I can imagine. I grew up in the snow belt and I can drive anything in the snow, hell I used to have to ride my motorcycle to work in the snow when it was all I had to get there.

I wasnt trying to blast the OP, im just saying if you have driven in the snow in the past you can certainly adapt and drive the Camaro if you do it with common sense.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #28
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritus View Post
Excuse me for not having amazing snow driving skills or not owning a RWD vehicle before. I got my drivers license in Italy and owned a VW Polo FWD with 55hp before I came to the States for College. I did not choose to move here, I would go back to a warmer city if I could choose but I am trying to make the best out of the situation that I am in. I always liked muscle cars and got v6 to get a feel for them before I spend more money in a real muscle car.

It's amazing how many great people are on this forum and helped me find my car and with many other stupid questions that I asked them...
Your fine with Snow tires , You dont need any sand bags , ( The car is plenty heavy ) I would suggest going into empty parking lot and practice how to come out of a slide , in a hour you will be a pro . Camaros are one of the best vehicles out their in the snow , I been out in 7 inches and had a blast and was in full control and drove mine in every winter .
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote