Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Non-MRC vs MRC Lowering Differences

I’m trying to find a clear answer on this and I seem to be having a hard time getting it. So, I’m fairly confident from my research that, utilizing the same springs/lowering springs, a MRC car will sit about 0.25” higher (or drop 0.25” less) in front. But I’m seeing conflicting things about the rear - some people are saying MRC sits 0.25” higher (drops 0.25” less) in the rear too and some say the rear on MRC sits the same as non-MRC.

So, can we get a confirmation on this? I’m sure I’m not the only one wanting this confirmation and it would help the C6 community.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
I’m interested in understanding this also.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yes mrc cars will sit higher than a car without mrc i had afe power springs on my non mrc car and my buddy had them on his mrc car and i was lower
Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
yes mrc cars will sit higher than a car without mrc i had afe power springs on my non mrc car and my buddy had them on his mrc car and i was lower
Thanks for the info!

Lower front and rear or just front?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
The rear of my ZL1 looks high to me at times (yes it has the updated “lower” OEM Springs). I have considered lowering it but there are so many variables with these Camaros (Non-mrc, MRC, OEM spring differences etc) that it’s tough to determine how much a particular set of aftermarket springs will drop the front/rear of a particular car.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
The rear of my ZL1 looks high to me at times (yes it has the updated “lower” OEM Springs). I have considered lowering it but there are so many variables with these Camaros (Non-mrc, MRC, OEM spring differences etc) that it’s tough to determine how much a particular set of aftermarket springs will drop the front/rear of a particular car.
News to me. So, there are two versions of the OEM springs, a shorter and taller, huh?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #7
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
News to me. So, there are two versions of the OEM springs, a shorter and taller, huh?
Yes only for 2017 ZL1's though.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Mountain

I came across this video starring a Tech from Phastek stating that there is a difference of about 0.25” front and rear between Non-MRC and MRC.

The front makes since as the number of times I was looking at the 1LE front suspension, the spring seat looked to be higher up on the strut body than on Non-MRC struts.

https://youtu.be/99zn6dL85t0
Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 PM   #9
Mountain

Quote:
I came across this video starring a Tech from Phastek stating that there is a difference of about 0.25” front and rear between Non-MRC and MRC.

The front makes since as the number of times I was looking at the 1LE front suspension, the spring seat looked to be higher up on the strut body than on Non-MRC struts.

https://youtu.be/99zn6dL85t0
I have a feeling a lot of installers are not re-indexing suspension bushings and not getting the correct suspension lower.

Looking at some SS MRC cars, their ride height looks to be the same as non-MRC, stock for stock. I can see the MRC front strut package being 0.20-0.25” taller just looking at pictures of the two struts side by side. GM likely compensates with a slightly shorter spring. The rears suspension uses the same upper spring insulator between MRC and non-MRC, but the lower insulator is different. Other than that there shouldn’t be anything to change ride height back there.

I’m thinking to drop by a local dealer and measure a MRC car and compare to my car. Also to see if the spring part numbers are different.

But the following two pictures lead me to believe between MRC and non-MRC, only the front is diffferent. Below, you’ll see two cars: an SS 1LE (MRC) and a SS (non-MRC), on the same wheel/tire package and same Eibach (SS; non-MRC) springs. The front on the 1LE sits a tad higher, but the rear looks exactly the same. The car owners are HOST1LE_gen6 and Cobden, respectively.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #10
Mountain

I checked about 10 different SS's, of which were a good mix of 1SS, 2SS, NMRC and MRC. And this is what I can say for now:

-All cars had the same ride height for the rear suspension, even my car.
-All of the NMRC cars had front ride heights HIGHER than all of the MRC cars. I know my car dropped in front over time and I expect the cars I measured all to at some point. I am not sure why all of the MRC cars were already lower - I would have expected them to, if anything, be the same as the NMRC cars, as all cars were brand new. The one SS with NMRC that I found that had been on the lot a while measured out similar to my car.
-MRC strut spring perches are at the same place compared to NMRC struts.
-I started to note spring part numbers and it seems the springs follow MRC vs. NMRC and coupe vs. convertible. Logical, yes, but I wanted to state that since there doesn't seem to be anything that follows 1SS vs. 2SS.

I do not think the rear suspension ride height is any different than NMRC. I noted there is a specific part number for the rear spring, lower insulator between NMRC and MRC. If the insulator has any dimensional difference, I doubt it's much at all.

As far as the front suspension, there may still be something to do with the top mounts/strut mounts and/or upper spring perch (something a little different on these 6G Camaros that isn't on your typical McPherson). I still think there is a difference because it seems every car with MRC that has put NMRC lowering springs on, the front does not lower to the amount advertised.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:20 AM   #11
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Here it is fellas! I’ve had some time to let the springs settle. Took measurements today.
Measured at the edge of wheel well.
27.5 front
27.75 rear

Hope this helps.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr965 View Post
Here it is fellas! I’ve had some time to let the springs settle. Took measurements today.
27.5 front
27.75 rear

Hope this helps.
What springs?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #13
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Quote:
What springs?
BMR
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr965 View Post
27.5 front
27.75 rear

Hope this helps.
My car stock:

27.50 front
28.20 rear

So no change in front of I switched to BMR, and under 1/2” rear. Underwhelming to say the least. Someone needs to develop a spring kit that puts a ZL1 ~26.5” front and rear.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote