Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-17-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
chargerjake

Drives: 2017 2LT
V6 LGX Exhaust Setups

Hello all. I'm thinking about adding an exhaust to my V6 RS sometime soon. I've got a pretty tight budget, however, so I've started considering my options as far as exhausts go.

I am 95% sure I want to do quad tips, I think they look much better on this car, especially because the gloss/satin diffuser. However, if my only options are to go with dual tips, then I will probably wrap my diffuser gloss black. So far, I've considered these options.

Borla Atak Catback + 2nd Cat Delete - I really like the sound from this exhaust. My only negative concern is the rasp at high RPMs, which can probably be solved by an xpipe. However, I think the non-NPP Quad Tipped version is WAY too expensive, I mean, four figures for a CATBACK exhaust for a V6? Not to mention the $200 I'll need for the OEM rear diffuser? Doesn't make sense to me.

Muffler Delete + Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe - I think these sound good when the exhaust shop does them properly. It's economical too, which is another good thing. My only concerns are a) Exhaust shops seem to not know how to align tips (not a big concern though) and b) Drone. I added the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe because I hear that it eliminates most of the drone. However, I'm still a little concerned about some drone. As for the quad tips, I'll buy the quad tip diffuser, the wrap, and the actual tips themselves so the shop can do quad tips. I bet this can be done easily for around $500.

MBRP Quad Tip + Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe - I know MBRP just relased their dual tip, and I already can't wait for the quad tipped version. I feel like pairing this with a Resonated X-Pipe as well as the Helmholtz resonators on the MBRP will effectively eliminate drone for an economical price. However, my concern here: apparently a quad tipped version is "in the works" but that's what everyone with a dual tip version says. I'm just concerned about a long wait, or maybe it may never even come out.

So, keeping those in mind, what exhaust system do y'all have on your (naturally aspirated) LGX engines? How much did you pay for yours? Can you upload a sound clip (cold start, warm start, revs)? I'm just trying to gauge my options as far as exhausts go. Thanks everyone.
chargerjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerjake View Post
Hello all. I'm thinking about adding an exhaust to my V6 RS sometime soon. I've got a pretty tight budget, however, so I've started considering my options as far as exhausts go.

I am 95% sure I want to do quad tips, I think they look much better on this car, especially because the gloss/satin diffuser. However, if my only options are to go with dual tips, then I will probably wrap my diffuser gloss black. So far, I've considered these options.

Borla Atak Catback + 2nd Cat Delete - I really like the sound from this exhaust. My only negative concern is the rasp at high RPMs, which can probably be solved by an xpipe. However, I think the non-NPP Quad Tipped version is WAY too expensive, I mean, four figures for a CATBACK exhaust for a V6? Not to mention the $200 I'll need for the OEM rear diffuser? Doesn't make sense to me.

Muffler Delete + Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe - I think these sound good when the exhaust shop does them properly. It's economical too, which is another good thing. My only concerns are a) Exhaust shops seem to not know how to align tips (not a big concern though) and b) Drone. I added the Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe because I hear that it eliminates most of the drone. However, I'm still a little concerned about some drone. As for the quad tips, I'll buy the quad tip diffuser, the wrap, and the actual tips themselves so the shop can do quad tips. I bet this can be done easily for around $500.

MBRP Quad Tip + Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe - I know MBRP just relased their dual tip, and I already can't wait for the quad tipped version. I feel like pairing this with a Resonated X-Pipe as well as the Helmholtz resonators on the MBRP will effectively eliminate drone for an economical price. However, my concern here: apparently a quad tipped version is "in the works" but that's what everyone with a dual tip version says. I'm just concerned about a long wait, or maybe it may never even come out.

So, keeping those in mind, what exhaust system do y'all have on your (naturally aspirated) LGX engines? How much did you pay for yours? Can you upload a sound clip (cold start, warm start, revs)? I'm just trying to gauge my options as far as exhausts go. Thanks everyone.

Borla’s are nice but they’re super pricy for what you get. Where are you hearing about drone with the MBRP? I think that one sounds bad ass.

I have the flow master and love it, I think it sounds great. Ran me $400 on sale.

https://youtu.be/c0F404xJoGU

https://youtu.be/nLlujR-QK9g
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Any exhaust with the Magnaflow 11386 will have very minimal drone. Muffler delete will have a little drone but it isn't bad, if you have stock cats you probably won't have any tbh. 2nd cat deletes will make it a tiny bit louder but the power is sweet so I definitely recommend that. If you guys don't have the 2.5 to 2.25 neck down that we did, you don't even need a cat back, just cut and replace what you need (i.e. cut out the 2nd cats and weld pipe in, cut out the x and weld the Magnaflow 11386 in). No need to get fancy. Function is everything.

If you're on a tight budget just stick with dual tips. Quad tips is just cash for pure appearance. And you can google comparable 2011-2017 Mustang 3.7 or any 2012+ Camaro 3.6 exhaust combinations to get a good feel. Stock will sound different because of various minor design differences but modified between the 6s is very near.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
So With the MBRP axle back for v6 since its pretty modular the tips just bolt on you could get quad tips for it.

Deleting 2nd cat is going to deepen your sound and give you some little burbles. However this is still emissions required so check state laws.

Mysetup is pure 3" stainless downpipes into carven TR turbo style mufflers the connected to those is the v8 3" MBRP black race series catback... No mufflers no cats no resonator, I am not recommending you do this I am just showing you can do whatever you like on a budget. My entire setup with labor and parts and the custom downpipes was less then $1500 dollars.

What I would recommend you do is start with a muffler delete wont cost much and if you don't like it then buy an axle back of sorts.. Deleting your resonator is where your going to develop tones of drone and rasp on a stock NA setup so I wouldnt advice removing the xpipe resonator unless your going to replace it with the magnaflow one.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
So With the MBRP axle back for v6 since its pretty modular the tips just bolt on you could get quad tips for it.

Deleting 2nd cat is going to deepen your sound and give you some little burbles. However this is still emissions required so check state laws.

Mysetup is pure 3" stainless downpipes into carven TR turbo style mufflers the connected to those is the v8 3" MBRP black race series catback... No mufflers no cats no resonator, I am not recommending you do this I am just showing you can do whatever you like on a budget. My entire setup with labor and parts and the custom downpipes was less then $1500 dollars.

What I would recommend you do is start with a muffler delete wont cost much and if you don't like it then buy an axle back of sorts.. Deleting your resonator is where your going to develop tones of drone and rasp on a stock NA setup so I wouldnt advice removing the xpipe resonator unless your going to replace it with the magnaflow one.
I have the Borla Atak Axleback and I’m a big fan. I actually got advice from Dustya a few months back before pulling the trigger. However, I’ve been curious about deleting the secondary cats. I would like it to be deeper and have burbles as you described. I thought the opposite of this would happen though and it would have drone so I’m glad to hear otherwise.

That being said, I guess my next step personally will be to buy the Magnaflow X Pipe and get someone to cut the secondaries. I’m kind of excited now lol.
• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)

Last edited by dgriff14; 02-23-2018 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Forgot the Y in Dustya
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Quote:

Bold - remember, on an N/A LGX you want 2.5". 3" is okay because of boost. The last paragraph is also good advice, as it is what I would say to do. Magnaflow 11386 + muffler delete is a great starting point.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Dustya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Bold - remember, on an N/A LGX you want 2.5". 3" is okay because of boost. The last paragraph is also good advice, as it is what I would say to do. Magnaflow 11386 + muffler delete is a great starting point.
3" for N/A is fine just give more room for sound to bounce and vibrate/resonate not that you cant do it but you are correct it will sound different then on a boosted car. There will be no performance difference on a N/A car between 2.5 and 3" pipe especially if your just dealing with axle back.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
3" for N/A is fine just give more room for sound to bounce and vibrate/resonate not that you cant do it but you are correct it will sound different then on a boosted car. There will be no performance difference on a N/A car between 2.5 and 3" pipe especially if your just dealing with axle back.
The further the gas is from the engine, the cooler it is and slower it moves. You have to maintain the exhaust velocity throughout or you will lose power. Yes, just the axle back will have a significantly less negative effect, but a full 3" system on an N/A V6 car will lose a fair bit of performance, especially on the low end - now, on an automatic this will matter less in theory because it can just leave the converter unlocked, but on a manual car you'll be wearing your clutch harder with the reduced low end power, nevermind the actual drivability detriment. It'll sound great though. Voice of experience. Lol. I bought in to the "3" exhaust is okay if you have 2.5" downpipes" and was harshly disappointed. Swapped to a stock ZL1 NPP system w/ the Magnaflow 11386 added in and my car pepped right back up. I miss the 3" sound now, definitely going to go back soon when I rebuild the motor and boost it.

We don't have V8s though. Stock vs stock there's a 12hp difference between our engines. We could run a single 3" exhaust and gain low end power without sacrificing any top end because a single 3" pipe can support something around 340hp if I am remembering correctly.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:56 AM   #9
Dustya

Quote:
The further the gas is from the engine, the cooler it is and slower it moves. You have to maintain the exhaust velocity throughout or you will lose power. Yes, just the axle back will have a significantly less negative effect, but a full 3" system on an N/A V6 car will lose a fair bit of performance, especially on the low end - now, on an automatic this will matter less in theory because it can just leave the converter unlocked, but on a manual car you'll be wearing your clutch harder with the reduced low end power, nevermind the actual drivability detriment. It'll sound great though. Voice of experience. Lol. I bought in to the "3" exhaust is okay if you have 2.5" downpipes" and was harshly disappointed. Swapped to a stock ZL1 NPP system w/ the Magnaflow 11386 added in and my car pepped right back up. I miss the 3" sound now, definitely going to go back soon when I rebuild the motor and boost it.

We don't have V8s though. Stock vs stock there's a 12hp difference between our engines. We could run a single 3" exhaust and gain low end power without sacrificing any top end because a single 3" pipe can support something around 340hp if I am remembering correctly.
I agree and disagree If you are going to remove your cats and run 3" straight back on a v6 N/A Then yes I agree..

However if you are going to connect at your cats which are burning excess fuels up and running at temperatures above 1200 degrees I doubt the 3" pipe is going to create enough cooling effect to slow down gasses that much.

However in the end I was mainly speaking of axle back systems as far as having many more choices by just going with a v8 axle which most are 2.75" since that is stock v8 pipe size anyways.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:52 AM   #10
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:

Just to be clear, and please excuse my ignorance; but are the xpipe resonator and secondary cats the same thing. I’ve heard the secondary cat referred to as a resonator so I just wanna be clear on the terminology. Thanks!
• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:

Engine is the same really auto or manual.

But once you go boosted, the larger pioe size is beneficial. N/a not so much

http://support.magnaflow.com/07techt...question10.asp

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:28 AM   #12
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
I did a Borla S Type and new lower valance on my RS. Coming from an 01 Mustang with MagnaFlow Magnapacks on it I can tell you having 0 drone from the Borla is a huge plus. I'm 47 and have had loud exhaust systems on a lot of cars in my life, I always wanted a Borla and this car got it. I couldn't be happier. When I put my foot in it she lights up nice. I'm in California so limited on anything more then a cat back. Knowing what I know now, you can just trim your stock lower valance to fit the quad tips and looks good. Full new valance ordered online from your local Chevy dealer parts dept are about $250 unpainted. Go quad tip if your going to do it, it just looks to bad ass. Here is a quick video I posted on it if it helps.

https://youtu.be/i0qNxqp2TmM
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:29 AM   #13
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Hey DSX, I sent you a PM whenever you get a chance