Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #85
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
This information will help lots of young hot rodders in 10 or 20 years when these cars are worth a lot less. When we were kids we weren’t putting fancy new big blocks in new cars, we were rebuilding junk yard crap and dropping it in V6 and 2bbl V8 cars. That will be when this kind swap happens regularly and this kid will be able to tell his kid, “no problem son, I did that crap when I was your age.” He might even find a career in the deal. At least he is not looking to put 500hp turbo four banger in it.

Insurance is not expecting others (as in the public) to pay when things don't work out. Insurance companies pool risk for a fee. It's service they provide. If they do a poor job analyzing their risks, they lose money, not the other insured parties. The problem arises when government thinks it knows best for everybody and says you have to have x insurance or y insurance because government knows how to manage your finances (and risk) better than you do. If he pays for their services, something happens and they feel he has misled them, that is between him and the insurance company.

If his car spontaneously combusted tomorrow with no insurance, and then he decide to default on his loan, his credit would take a hit much like those who over extend themselves in their homes and walked away causing the housing crisis. Not good, but obviously not the end of the world. Hell, maybe if lots of people do it at once they will create a CARP program, but I digress.

Since when does changing the engine on a your car negate your insurance contract. What if the six cylinder blew up and he got a really sweet deal on a V8 to replace it? Would it make a difference if the V8 were a flat head with less horsepower than the V6? I’m sure the kid is not going to say, “I know I hit that car, but you should check under my hood because that ain’t no six banger.”

And I really like the idea of rolling the wrecked drag car off the trailer, but I too doubt it would work.
I am just grateful I never had to do it! I have had that big block '69 since 1985. I got it after I crashed its predecessor (A '70 Nova SS 396 - less the big block) into a telephone poll at 70MPH! Crazy times as young guys. We are the same age....those were fun days!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #86
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Then why does insurance premiums keep going up if we're all pitching in?

Values of cars keeps going up.

I remember buying a brand new Camaro at Chevy back in 1985... all decked out, every option... and I paid something like 6 or 8 grand out the door (I don't recall exact). Today, the equivalent of that car would be over 40 grand. Rates increase as do the cost of replacements and repairs.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #87
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I am just grateful I never had to do it! I have had that big block '69 since 1985. I got it after I crashed its predecessor (A '70 Nova SS 396 - less the big block) into a telephone poll at 70MPH! Crazy times as young guys. We are the same age....those were fun days!
Yup, ever have the throttle springs on your Holly 4bbl flip flop and hold the carb wide open?

I had a Baracuda with a built 440, 727 and TrueTrac. Started life a 6cyl car. 500+ HP, manual steering, manual drum brakes. You better be able to drive in that thing.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:31 PM   #88
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Values of cars keeps going up.

I remember buying a brand new Camaro at Chevy back in 1985... all decked out, every option... and I paid something like 6 or 8 grand out the door (I don't recall exact). Today, the equivalent of that car would be over 40 grand. Rates increase as do the cost of replacements and repairs.
But here's the thing, you have more drivers on the road than you did in 1985. Therefore it should correct itself and the rates CAN go down. I dont think thats a fair excuse. i see your point, but with the amount of ppl on the road paying insurance, it should compensate for the newer price of vehicles. Thing is, it doesnt. There's only about 10 states that dont have over 1 million drivers in them. The remaining states have 1-24 million drivers. Now take the avg amount of one would pay for insurance which is about $70 and multiply that by the amount of drivers and there's MORE than enough money to cover the costs insurance companies pay out. In California alone (Californai has approximately 25million+ drivers) its about $1,680,000,000 insurance companies take in per month. Out of 25 million drivers, I dont think more than 12 million are making claims each month or even in a yr. There's far less claims than the amount going into the sytem. Yet they steadily increase. One word, PROFIT!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #89
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
He's laying down a path that's never been crossed before. If he pulls this off many more base model V6s might see something similar. Thanks for motivating him,but I'm sure this swap will go down as a guideline for anyone looking to do a similar job. You're the type of person that will always come in second because you're afraid to push the limits.
And why do you think it's not been done before? All the thousands of guys out there yet, no one has done this? Why do you think that is? He (who [no offense OP] doesn't have much automotive experience) and his papaw (who's automotive experience is from yesteryear cars) are taking on this project with the mindset of papaws experience of back in the day cars. Not modern cars. I hope the OP has a clue how much more work it is before he starts, and to head caution not just go blindly into it thinking it's a piece of cake weekend job, and regret it later. I may sound like an asshole, but, let's face it, I am.

I wish the kid well, all I'm saying he's probably going into this being told that's it's easy, or how hard can it be?, like it was back in the day, when clearly, it's not. There is so much more to it than engine, trans, v8 mounts and go. There are computers, which means wiring harnesses, tuning, calibrating, routing those wires that may have to be changed which means tearing the entire car apart down to the shell, then back with the new. Then we get into the suspension part..

And for your second place pushing the limits comment, what a joke. I've done a v6 5-speed to a v8 supercharged 6-speed swap in an 86 camaro(which by the way we swapped the cars body harness to a 91 camaro harness), so I've atleast got some experience in this topic, what about you? I've swapped in a lsx into my personal car. Still think I'm afraid to push my limits? Try me.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #90
CamaroCracka

Nothing wrong with profit in my book, it's when it's gained via government mandate that things get sideways.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #91
CamaroCracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
I may sound like an asshole, but, let's face it, I am.
Admitting is the first step to recovery.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #92
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
But here's the thing, you have more drivers on the road than you did in 1985. Therefore it should correct itself and the rates CAN go down.

More driver's brings up other stats as well.
More drivers = more accidents and/or more claims.
I would also bet that the average claim far exceeds what the average claim was back in 1985 as well.

Personally... I don't have any issue with insurance rates. I pay almost nothing for mine (on 8 cars). I pay well under two grand a year for 8 vehicles, and none of them are junkers. That's coverage for my wife and I, and I have one of my boys covered on the plan as well. Zero tickets, zero accidents, of course, and low miles driven plus multi car consideration.

And... government only mandates liability.

Finally too, insurance companies are in business to make money. I'm in business also, and my motivation is to make money. If it were not for having to make money, I'd close shop and spend my time playing with the toys.

For the record, though, I would rather not have to pay the insurance either. Well, up until I need it. 18+ years paying for insurance on my home, I recently filed and received a claim for just under ten grand for a repair. Thank goodness.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #93
Ohten

Drives: Granite Crystal Challenger SRT
This has gone from a build thread to an insurance thread.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #94
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I did a 327 350 hp V8 in a 1966 Corvair corsa in 1969 with a Crown kit ,so I don't think a V8 into a V6 Camaro is a problem . The one that was a real bitch was putting a 6.6 Duramax in a 2003 Hummer H2. I lost about $2000.00 on that swap . Anything can be done ,if you don't care how much it cost .
Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #95
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Mammer View Post
I may sound like an asshole, but, let's face it, I am.
Too bad there isn't an 'ignore assholes' button on this forum....I would totally use it....
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #96
Da Mammer

Drives: 2010 camaro SS... shell...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Too bad there isn't an 'ignore assholes' button on this forum....I would totally use it....
Problem is, that if there were such a button there wouldn't be much of a forum left for people to reference lol.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #97
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Yup, ever have the throttle springs on your Holly 4bbl flip flop and hold the carb wide open?

I had a Baracuda with a built 440, 727 and TrueTrac. Started life a 6cyl car. 500+ HP, manual steering, manual drum brakes. You better be able to drive in that thing.
Two things. The Holey spring flip flop was one of the changes we designed out of the Barry Grant Demon line of carburetors. I made it happen on our flow benches, and added a positive stop on the primary throttle shaft to eliminate that possibility. With the stop being part of the plate you attached the linkage to, it also prevented a heavy footed driver from twisting the shaft if he did not have a positive throttle stop on his pedal. As far as the throttle sticking, we had stuck a big nitrous kit on the car for a spot on the show Hot Rod TV done up in Nashville. I had not put a lot of thought into how I mounted the full throttle switch, and when it came back fro the shoot, gave it no thought and at Powerhouse Drag Strip in Florida, it hung wide open (stuck on the switch), on a damp track! Ended up hitting the right guardrail from the left lane and did minor damage to right quarter panel. Figured it was not worth pushing it off the trailer for that!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #98
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
On a side note, how is the engine swap going
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote