Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Burnin' Rubber

Drives: Domestic
Thoughts on improving upon the 5th gen with the 6th gen

This forum is great because people involved in building the Camaro actually read the posts for feedback. That said, I’d like to add my thoughts on what I’d like to see in the sixth generation Camaro.

Let me start off by saying I have not pulled the trigger on acquiring a fifth generation Camaro. Don’t get me wrong. It is a great car and I would love to own one. What I don’t like is that Chevrolet doesn’t offer one configured exactly how I want it. There are just too many compromises with the current generation Camaro, likely having to do with getting it to work with the existing Zeta platform.

For example, if you want a V6 engine with automatic transmission you lose out on the limited-slip differential. If you want a V8 engine with automatic transmission you lose out on the performance dual-mode exhaust due to incompatibility with the active fuel management feature. This is clearly an engineering shortfall in which they cut corners and did not redesign the performance exhaust for the L99 engine. This is obviously no longer an issue with the LT1 engine as seen in the Corvette, but still it is a disappointment in the current Camaro with the L99 engine. I get that they were concerned about fuel economy, but I still think they should have just offered the LS3 engine with an automatic transmission for consistency.

Next, the RS package adds on a tacky rear spoiler. The SS model gives you no choice but to take it with the spoiler, with or without the RS package. Personally, I’ve outgrown the desire to have a tacky plastic spoiler added on the rear of every car I own and I think GM should too. That fad came and went a long time ago and is now just an unnecessary gimmick and money grab. For me the functionality of a rear spoiler is not a selling point as I don’t think I will reach the speeds required for it to be a major factor. I also don’t like the fact that it needs holes drilled into the rear deck for mounting thereby making it susceptible to accumulation of moisture and dirt which leads to corrosion. In my opinion, both the Camaro and Corvette appear much more attractive without the spoiler.

Then there are things like the gauge package which I think gives the interior some unique character but it’s left out of cars fitted with the cloth seats. I get that I can order the gauges and install them myself but I don’t like the idea of hacking up the interior of a brand new car.

Another thing I hate is fog light cutouts that don’t have any fog lights in them. Fog lights are excluded from the 1LS and 2LS models, which means you get round holes in the front fascia intended for fog lights but filled with black plastic covers instead. It ends up looking sloppy and cheap in my opinion all for the sake of having a one-size-fits-all front fascia tooled. This is a practice used by a lot of low-end automakers which irritates me. I find it much better if the fascia is designed in such a way that if fog lights are not ordered it doesn’t look so awkward as having two lonely plastic-filled holes in an area of the fascia which serve no useful purpose. The high-end automakers are much better at this, I must say.

All that being said, the next Camaro should offer options, and lots of them, but with none of the constraints of the fifth generation. I am all in favor of a low-cost Camaro but I would not want to feel short-changed by a lack of features available at the low end. For example, I was surprised to find out that the Camaro does not have a low windshield washer fluid sensor. This may seem minor, but my first car out of school had one and it really was useful in winter. Really, how much would this feature add to the total cost? Also, a locking fuel filler door would make sense on a car such as this, not so much to prevent fuel theft, but to deter vandalism from someone pouring a damaging substance in the fuel tank.

I realize some things are the way they are due to engineering constraints, but I suspect that most areas where one might feel short-changed with the Camaro are due to marketing and financial decisions. If I want an automatic V6 with a limited-slip differential, I should be able to get it. If I want an automatic V8 with upgraded exhaust, I should be able to get it. If I don’t want a spoiler with the RS package, I should be able to delete it in the options.

I hope this hasn’t seemed like too much of a rant. I don’t mean to criticize the fine people involved with the present Camaro because it is an amazing vehicle to have available to own in our lives. However, when faced with having to spend $30- to $40-large on a vehicle I expect to get what I want. I don’t want to sound cynical, and I apologize if it seems that way, but my intent has simply been an effort to help make a fantastic thing even better.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope it provides some constructive feedback for design and engineering decisions to be made for the next Camaro. It is a fantastic opportunity to start with a clean slate on the Alpha platform and make the Camaro the best that it can be all-around no matter the price point.
Burnin' Rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
MikeT

Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Agree with you on spoilers. Not a fan.

What I'd like to see in the new car...

Less weight
Less length
More visibility
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
All I really ask is that it gets the LT1 on both trans options. Non of this truck engine BS like the current auto. The only other thing I would ask is for the love of god make it weigh less than 3600lbs.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
My one peeve that I really hope gets addressed is that the backseat is a seat in name only - trying to stuff 3 (hahaha - 4??) adults in a Camaro for a lunch out is neigh impossible, at least in my car. We don't need to stretch it out to sedan like proportions, but it would be nice if we could get another 5 inches or so and really get 4 people in there if we want to go out for lunch.

While I like the spoiler on my RS since it doesn't seem over the top, I do agree that it would be nice to have it be optional. Overall, it would be nicer to make it so there are less 'packages' and more 'options' that can be chosen so we can get our cars with exactly what we want. When I was buying my car I liked the RS headlights but didn't really care about the other features in that package, and I probably could have saved some money if I had just gotten the Halos.

Less weight would be great.

GM seems a lot more performance centered than they were in 2009, I think the natural evolution into the next model will address a lot of improvements we'd like to see.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
not very likely. As it is the backseat is higher than previous models and people can actually see out of it. it's not nearly as claustrophobic as the previous models for an adult.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
RandyT

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Summit White
have no cartilage in left knee so an automatic is a must in a 1LE
I have a 2012 SS and even though I would love a ZL1 probably not going to happen, thats why the auto since it isn't avail on the 1LE
RandyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
A spoiler is a must if you track your car and really helps keep the car planted over 60.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
I agree with the more visibility and less weight. And the same engine/exhaust for the manual and the auto.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I hope the next gen has a futuristic dash. not retro, not current, futuristic.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Just make it 400lbs lighter and know engine upgrades will be needed from the factory. a 400 lb weight loss should significantly reduce your E/Ts.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
3550lbs/LT1/nice style like the 5th gen. Thats all.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Crazyhorse6901
Turbine Maker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT-RS "LFX"V6
The use of Aluminum for weight reduction,push start, plasma lighting, visibility isn't an issue with me but may be to others however some factory tent would be nice, locate the battery to the right or left side of the trunk not under the spare donut for easy access and the ability to change the color on the dash and radio.

If you are going to add an option list for accessories don't pawn off high dollar garbage... We want nothing but Quality stuff to choose from.
Crazyhorse6901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Go back to the 2010-2013 Body...

Offer a real big block
Real RS headlights
Cam, supercharger options that are not the ZL1
CAI factory
Headers factory option

Stop making car guys buy after marker parts.. have a lot sheet for a model that can be custom built and affordable..

more customization

More interior custom options

They aftermarket spend should be a sign of what we would like to finance one time..

Give me a SS, 502 Cammed, SC, headers, Highflow exhaust, 750 HP... from the dealer

If you want a Camaro for MPG.. give them a custom impala with a rally stripes
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
Bilhickok

Drives: 2014 2ss camaro convertible
Smile GEN 6 mods

DONT CHANGE ANYTHING, or i'll be unhappy that i just bought a new 2014 2ss vert!

but seriously, the spoiler looks great

***need higher interior trim levels, even if just as an option***

***need more cameras, like front and side, parking is a bitch***

would like to be able to watch rear camera while driving--easy software mod

would like to be able to shift HUD left to right as well as up and down

'automatic' windows are a little touchy

performance exhaust on l99 would be great

install locking fuel door either manual or automatic

add a manual seat override release to move seat forward more quickly than by motor

lose 400 pounds!

offer a 4 spoke wheel so you can place your hand on the bottom and can steer from the bottom of the steering wheel

these are tweaks--love my car!
Bilhickok is offline   Reply With Quote