Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Camaro1LTBA

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Deciding between 4/6 on gas...

Currently leasing a 2014 V6 and will be up this winter. Planned the lease to get the new Camaro or possibly another Volt. Want to buy now and just can't buy a Volt. I'd rather lease that one so the Camaro it is.

I've had everything from a Mustang GT to Trans Am to Vettes and at this point in my life I just want a fun car with all the new goodies for a while rather than getting a new one every couple years.

Anyway, my question is whether or not the turbo 4 will require premium gas. I'm thinking it'll be just as fun to drive as my current 6, but think the gas savings will be negligible depending on driving between the two and the premium would likely leave me with a 2016 V6.

I have been lurking Camaro5 and now Camaro6 and pretty sure the consensus was the turbo 4 would require premium. Thanks guys!

Posted from my BlackBerry Passport
Camaro1LTBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
offtopic but how do/did you like the volt? looking into getting a 2016. commuting 100 miles to work and back everyday would be great with an hov hybrid sticker
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Might be recommended but not required.

Volt also just got bumped to 53 miles EV range for the 2016 model.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Think someone mentioned there were two fuel maps for the Sonic turbo or something, so could be the same for the 2.0T. The 275hp rating is definitely with 91. The new LGX V6 and 8 speed should get noticeably better MPG than your current 5th gen, and the 2.0T will not get worse than yours even under hard driving. Do you want to mod? The turbo will be easier to get quick gains.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:41 PM   #5
Camaro1LTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
offtopic but how do/did you like the volt? looking into getting a 2016. commuting 100 miles to work and back everyday would be great with an hov hybrid sticker
I could go on and on about the Volt. Was one of the first to have one. Had my own personal assistant assigned to me from GM and was treated like I purchased a six figure vehicle!

I absolutely loved the Volt. Went from a C5 to a 2010 V6 Camaro then to the Volt if I remember correctly. Had a 2011 rated at 35 electric miles and drove over 40 miles to work and back without using any gas. In the winter the electric miles were less, but went to the gas station maybe twice a year. Even on gas I usually averaged 40mpg and this was a 2011.

Everything was high quality, it was sooo quiet (almost like a luxury car), and still fun to drive which was my main concern coming from performance cars. I can't say I have anything negative to say about the Volt I had.

Now I want to just purchase a vehicle and am hesitant to purchase a Volt long-term. Enjoyed the bumper to bumper warranty during the 3 years I had it. Did have an accident with a minor concussion and it took months to repair because all electronics went out and at that time there wasn't anyone with much experience with the Volt. GM was excellent though and sent out their own rep after the accident.

Definitely test drive one. It's really a fun little car. I thought the styling was sporty enough for the car at the time and not a Prius type look I get good gas mileage lol.

Funny story... was lost and at a DUI checkpoint and a rather rude officer started freaking out asking me to step out of the vehicle because I was not told to turn my car off (it wasn't off lol). He was corrected by another officer. This was around 2-3am.

Anyway, I kinda feel like the new styling is more sedanish/luxury cues but missing the original sporty cues I loved. Just personal preference though.

Another off-topic... is there a Camaro5/6 app? Would make posting much easier and faster now that I'm likely going to be more active on here.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #6
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
My vote is for the 2.0T. I believe that GM will release the performance stage packages (i.e LNF factory upgrades) that will not only boost power and fuel mileage but also allow you to retain factory warranty. This is just my speculation but I can see GM doing this.
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 PM   #7
Camaro1LTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Might be recommended but not required.

Volt also just got bumped to 53 miles EV range for the 2016 model.
Hmm... I thought it would be premium required. I'm thinking the turbo4 would be at least equivalent to my current V6, but just guessing based off numbers and weight loss.

I've stayed away from the Volt forum and mostly have been lurking here. Trying not to get sucked in to wanting the Volt and deciding between two completely different vehicles. It helped that GM, in my opinion, took away some of the sporty aspects of the exterior making the Volt more "mature" looking.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 PM   #8
Camaro1LTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Think someone mentioned there were two fuel maps for the Sonic turbo or something, so could be the same for the 2.0T. The 275hp rating is definitely with 91. The new LGX V6 and 8 speed should get noticeably better MPG than your current 5th gen, and the 2.0T will not get worse than yours even under hard driving. Do you want to mod? The turbo will be easier to get quick gains.
I wouldn't mod unless it was a performance option from the factory, but that wouldn't really count as a mod. It is is bit difficult to get a 4 cylinder Camaro though. I always get "is that a 6 or an 8" from everyone. Really don't care much what others think though and the turbo4 seems capable to wear a Camaro badge.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
Camaro1LTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxWittles View Post
My vote is for the 2.0T. I believe that GM will release the performance stage packages (i.e LNF factory upgrades) that will not only boost power and fuel mileage but also allow you to retain factory warranty. This is just my speculation but I can see GM doing this.
Really hard to not take the bait and get an order in. Been waiting for this car for a few years now. Will have to really think about this some more and maybe just wait. Have the 2014 in the meantime.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1LTBA View Post
Hmm... I thought it would be premium required. I'm thinking the turbo4 would be at least equivalent to my current V6, but just guessing based off numbers and weight loss.

I've stayed away from the Volt forum and mostly have been lurking here. Trying not to get sucked in to wanting the Volt and deciding between two completely different vehicles. It helped that GM, in my opinion, took away some of the sporty aspects of the exterior making the Volt more "mature" looking.

Most people find the 2016 model waaay sportier than the 1st gen Volt.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #11
Camaro1LTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Most people find the 2016 model waaay sportier than the 1st gen Volt.
I'll have to take another look at it. Really liked the hatchback and 2011 Volt exterior.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #12
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
The ATS and Malibu with the 2.0T motors both require premium.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2.0T Camaro is late availability. Only the V6 and V8 will be available initially.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
I recently rented the mustang Ecoboost. I reserved the GT but they gave me the 4 banger instead. Not the same car but I would think they're similar. At 55 mph it was getting between 35 to 38 mpg according to the computer and got over 30 at 80 to 85 mph. It also was decently quick. My best 0-60 time was 5.8 seconds. The AFR was in the nines on some of my WOT runs so I would think you could run regular gas (but probably lose some power). I would think the Camaro would be similar so I think the 4 would get better gas mileage than the six.
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #14
Camaro1LTBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
The ATS and Malibu with the 2.0T motors both require premium.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the 2.0T Camaro is late availability. Only the V6 and V8 will be available initially.
Thanks for the info on the ATS and Malibu. If Premium is required or even recommended, I'm not going to fill it with regular as I am done with new cars every few years. Just want something with newer technology that I can keep for a while.

The late availability is killing me as I'd like to order soon, etc. My lease was timed to end when both the new Volt and Camaro would be out as I had narrowed it down to either. With the 4, I'd likely do a rent/lease type deal for a few months until it's available. Not sure I want to deal with that. On the other hand, do I really want my new Camaro in the winter anyway. Decisions, decisions.