Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #43
LbulletM

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
then that brings me back to not seeing the camaro get a unique engine application. GM has always shared engines in vehicles, the Corvette being one of the few that has had an exclusive powertrain in recent years. Camaro not getting LS7 until Corvette no longer used it, LS9 staying corvette exclusive.
Wasn't the LS9 used in the CTS-V? I could be way off there.

Maybe we'll see a variant with the turbo 6 from the ATS-V.
LbulletM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #44
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
Quote:
I have seen this posted other times before and always had the same thought but never put it out there because there was no way to say it nicely.

If it wasn't good enough for the Corvette, or team corvette couldn't figure out how to do it what makes you guys think team Camaro can? It is possible maybe team Corvette's goals were way to high to do N/A and meet emissions and thats why the idea was scrapped. So maybe dial it back and use it for Camaro

BUT

then that brings me back to not seeing the camaro get a unique engine application. GM has always shared engines in vehicles, the Corvette being one of the few that has had an exclusive powertrain in recent years. Camaro not getting LS7 until Corvette no longer used it, LS9 staying corvette exclusive.

I can't see them making a LT-X offering it in the Camaro then offer it in the vette. Slotting it somewhere between the LT1 and LT4 is there room for an engine like that in the Corvette? Is there room for a Corvette that is a little bit better than the Z51 but not as good as the Z06?

Just my opinion
A Corvette Grand Sport is possible. If they used the NA Z06 engine they were working on for the Z/28, it wouldn't be a total loss. The reason they didn't end up going with it, I believe, is that they couldn't hit the performance target AND meet emissions. I'd think they could dial it down, meet emissions, and use it for the Z/28.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #45
xgnxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LbulletM View Post
Wasn't the LS9 used in the CTS-V? I could be way off there.

Maybe we'll see a variant with the turbo 6 from the ATS-V.
CTS-V and ZL1 got the LSA
Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM   #46
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
I would not be shocked if the cars were merged into 1 model. I would love to see them stay unique. However like mentioned here

I can't see GM giving the Camaro a unique engine that isn't offered in anything else. Just by GM past history I don't see that happening. Like others suggested maybe something along the lines of LS1 to LS6. But not something totally unique like a LS7.

I still wonder what the 1LE package would be now that MRC is an option. I would think they will have to offer something because the current 1LE is such a good performer.

I have seen this posted other times before and always had the same thought but never put it out there because there was no way to say it nicely.

If it wasn't good enough for the Corvette, or team corvette couldn't figure out how to do it what makes you guys think team Camaro can? It is possible maybe team Corvette's goals were way to high to do N/A and meet emissions and thats why the idea was scrapped. So maybe dial it back and use it for Camaro

BUT

I can't see them making a LT-X offering it in the Camaro then offer it in the vette. Slotting it somewhere between the LT1 and LT4 is there room for an engine like that in the Corvette? Is there room for a Corvette that is a little bit better than the Z51 but not as good as the Z06?

Just my opinion
Guessing they could go lightweight 19s all the way around and better tires and brakes to start. It could be a non mrc aggressive set up or mrc with an even more aggressive system to match the new components.

A lot they can do for a 1le model imo. Just switching from the 20 inch 275/245 run flats will probably make a huge difference on its own.

A small power bump and gearing would be nice as well. And obviously some exterior touches are to be expected and should look great.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 PM   #47
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
The step-up Camaros should be incorporating even more lightweight materials -- more aluminum & carbon fiber.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #48
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
A Corvette Grand Sport is possible. If they used the NA Z06 engine they were working on for the Z/28, it wouldn't be a total loss. The reason they didn't end up going with it, I believe, is that they couldn't hit the performance target AND meet emissions. I'd think they could dial it down, meet emissions, and use it for the Z/28.
I think it would be hard to market an in-between performance corvette, but that's just me.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #49
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by M12LRV View Post
^^^But I guess its possible that they could use a derivative of the "failed Z06" engine for something.
Ferrari 458 and California recalled for crankshaft failures ...

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/11/auto...ia-458-recall/

Porsche 911 GT3 recall
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...11-gt3s-engine

I bet i could find engine issues for many more - but I suppose we should just stop putting the LT4 in anything cuz it sucks.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #50
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
Anyone want a FI track car?? Anyone.. Bueller?? Weight, power delivery, simplicity all favor the LS7. You don't need over about ~500 hp IMO. I am still seeing problems with the LT4 blowing up. Last one was this.

At some point the carbon emissions stuff will force FI, but we may have 3-5 years.
The 5th Gen ZL1 does quite well on the track - and many people track it. 7:41.27 at THE RING, which is VERY impressive even if the car cost 3x more.

The Z06, outside of it's current heat issues (Auto only?) i'm sure is quite a nice track car.

So..YES, I do.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I still wonder what the 1LE package would be now that MRC is an option. I would think they will have to offer something because the current 1LE is such a good performer.
My guess is more of the same from the 5th gen. Wider wheels/grippier tires, extra/stiffer stabilizer bars, more aggressive gearing, stiffer springs, minor exterior tweaks.

The 1LE package wasn't just a set of shocks (they weren't even MR!) so I don't really know what optional MR shocks on the 6th gen has to do with what can happen on with a 6th gen 1LE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
The step-up Camaros should be incorporating even more lightweight materials -- more aluminum & carbon fiber.
Its not that easy. None of the under structure can be replaced without essentially re-engineering the car. Exterior panels are a possibility, but a simple swap-out gets more complicated if the panel is welded in (such as the roof), since you can't weld aluminum to steel (or carbon fibre to anything). So those parts require a change to the manufacturing process, a non-trivial task when you intend on building cars on an assembly line. Alternatively, things like the fenders have some load-bearing characteristics (particularly in crashes) that make it a tricky proposition at best for GM to swap parts out. Could a carbon fibre fender be engineered such that it behaves in a very similar way to a steel fender of similar design? Absolutely. Will it be a cost effective means to save 10 lbs? Unlikely.

Not saying that there nothing can be done to make it lighter with alternate materials. Its just that when you are making something lighter, there is a much bigger payoff/lower cost when its 'baked in' to the original design rather than trying to add lightness after the fact.

Quote:
I think it would be hard to market an in-between performance corvette, but that's just me.
I don't know, at 24 grand & 200 hp I think there is a big enough gap between the regular Stingray coupe & the Z06 to fit something in that roughly splits the difference. A 550ish hp Grand Sport priced in the mid 60s could do quite well.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #52
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

I don't know, at 24 grand & 200 hp I think there is a big enough gap between the regular Stingray coupe & the Z06 to fit something in that roughly splits the difference. A 550ish hp Grand Sport priced in the mid 60s could do quite well.
1LTZ51 starts at 60K, 2LT Z51 starts at 65K, the3LT Z51 starts at 70K and the Z06 starts at 79K. I personally don't see how you can shoe horn in another model that will perform better than the Z51 but not as good as the Z06.

Reason I use the Z51 is if you are making a performance model, it would have to perform better than the base model with the performance package. So where does this grand sport corvette fit then?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:07 AM   #53
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
The 5th Gen ZL1 does quite well on the track - and many people track it. 7:41.27 at THE RING, which is VERY impressive even if the car cost 3x more.

The Z06, outside of it's current heat issues (Auto only?) i'm sure is quite a nice track car.

So..YES, I do.
This is why I think the next ZL1/Z28 will be combined like the ZR1/Z06 it will be great on the track and FI

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #54
xgnxs

Quote:
1LTZ51 starts at 60K, 2LT Z51 starts at 65K, the3LT Z51 starts at 70K and the Z06 starts at 79K. I personally don't see how you can shoe horn in another model that will perform better than the Z51 but not as good as the Z06.

Reason I use the Z51 is if you are making a performance model, it would have to perform better than the base model with the performance package. So where does this grand sport corvette fit then?
Start at ~70K? 73K? Has everything from a Z51, but with ~550hp "LT7", better brakes, not a lot of options, more track focused, I guess. Basically, it becomes the "new" C6 Z06 while being called a Grand Sport, since the C7 Z06 is basically a "new" C6 ZR1.

Or just have "LT7" as an engine option that's part of some Grand Sport package, and it doesn't become its own model.

There's a couple ideas

Last edited by xgnxs; 07-28-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #55
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
A 396 ltx based engine not only sounds like a throw back but would make great power. Make it rev to 7200rpm without the valve drama the ls7 had along with direct Injection and it would make a ton of power.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #56
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
Start at ~70K? 73K? Has everything from a Z51, but with ~550hp "LT7", better brakes, not a lot of options, more track focused, I guess. Basically, it becomes the "new" C6 Z06 while being called a Grand Sport, since the C7 Z06 is basically a "new" C6 ZR1.

Or just have "LT7" as an engine option that's part of some Grand Sport package, and it doesn't become its own model.

There's a couple ideas
Yeah I see the idea, but then the voice in my head says if that car is 73K, for only 6K more I can get the Z06 that will destroy it and have all the creature comforts.