Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-23-2015, 08:37 PM   #15
Sidedraft

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Yeah, the LS7 mention doesn't seem plausible. Would the LS7 even pass emissions under 2016+ regulations?

I just get a tingle anytime someone mentions a 6th gen Z
Sidedraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
The LS7 is dead...let it rest in peace.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #17
LbulletM

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z51
Did the Z/28 have the same LS7 heads issues as the Z06?
LbulletM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #18
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by LbulletM View Post
Did the Z/28 have the same LS7 heads issues as the Z06?
Yes
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:38 PM   #19
LbulletM

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z51
Then good riddance if it's gone. Sounds like it's time for the LT2/LT3. (To wedge between the 1 and 4 )
LbulletM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:50 AM   #20
Autonaut

Drives: El camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
The LS7 is dead...let it rest in peace.
Amen.

The lack of a high strung LT7(or equivalent) will also show if the emmision requirements have found the limits of single cam v8's.. So far the architecture has put a hurting on the competition for many years but in the realm of high revving engines it's possible the design has reached it's limit in production vehicles..

Exciting times ahead, thats for sure.
Autonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #21
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavies11 View Post
We know LT5 and LTX are reserved for something. GM trademarked those engine names a couple of years ago. We just don't know exactly what they'll be yet.

I always assumed the LTX would be reserved for a future Z/28 and/or performance Vette.

I'd also guess the LT5 would probably be reserved for the twin turbo V8 Caddy's.

While we are speculating, how about a short stroke 5.7L LT1/LTX built like the LS7 that is high revving and makes about 530HP. Maybe using both DI and PFI.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I would think an 'LT7' (gen V equivalent to the LS7) or even a high-output variant of the LT1 (akin to the LS6 from the C5 Z06) is far more likely than an LS7.

That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that GM will 'merge' the Z/28 & ZL1 into a single car, much like what was done with the Z06 & ZR1.
You're probably right, unfortunately.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:18 PM   #23
xgnxs

Drives: 2005 Cobalt Base - 5 speed
I really don't think they'll merge the two cars, as they're very different. Z/28 is a hardcore track car and ZL1 is a high powered grand touring car (or whatever you want to call it). Whereas the Z06 was high performance and the ZR1 was highest performance. Merging the Z/28 and ZL1 would compromise the spirit of one or both cars. You'd either have a slightly more track focused ZL1 (carbon ceramic brakes, is one example) or a more touring focused Z/28 (softer suspension not optimized for the track like the current Z/28, no optional air conditioning / radio, no weight reduction over the base SS, heated and cooled seats, etc) depending on how you look at it. I don't think the buyer of a ZL1 necessarily wants a Z/28, and vice versa. I think they're both very good at what they do and should continue to be separate cars in their own right.
xgnxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #24
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
I really don't think they'll merge the two cars, as they're very different. Z/28 is a hardcore track car and ZL1 is a high powered grand touring car (or whatever you want to call it). Whereas the Z06 was high performance and the ZR1 was highest performance. Merging the Z/28 and ZL1 would compromise the spirit of one or both cars. You'd either have a slightly more track focused ZL1 (carbon ceramic brakes, is one example) or a more touring focused Z/28 (softer suspension not optimized for the track like the current Z/28, no optional air conditioning / radio, no weight reduction over the base SS, heated and cooled seats, etc) depending on how you look at it. I don't think the buyer of a ZL1 necessarily wants a Z/28, and vice versa. I think they're both very good at what they do and should continue to be separate cars in their own right.
Unfortunately GM'S recent track record doesn't support your beliefs.

The C5 and C6 Z cars were both "NA track monsters" and GM still combined them into the C7 Z06. The Camaro isn't special enough to avoid a fate that the Corvette couldn't
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:39 PM   #25
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I disagree. The C5 and C6 Z06s were all about light weight, naturally aspirated performance. The C7 is not. The previous Zs were manual only and fixed roofs only. The C7 is not.

The C7 Z06 is a complete departure from the previous generations.

Our hope is the people who stopped the ZL1 from being the Z/28 can keep it from happening this generation.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #26
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Do one of two things:

1) Offer a ZL1 with the LT4 and try their best to put it in the 55 - low 60K range and make it an all around car like the 5th gen ZL1. Then offer another track monster, low volume Z/28 with an n/a engine.

2) Go Fords route, except using the LT4 instead of an n/a engine and offer lots of varying packages for the Z/28, starting with a "tour" model in the range mentioned above with creature comforts, to a more hardcore model utilizing track suspension, cooling, weight savings costing considerably higher than the "base" Z/28 car.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #27
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
If there is only one, the Z/28 will be dropped and the ZL1 will continue based on Al O's views on what the Z/28 should be.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
I agree that they're different, but thats not enough to stop the bean counters from trying to combine them in order to cut R&D costs.

And keep in mind, the Z/28 as we know it wasn't really part of the plan on the 5th gen. Not at the beginning at least. When the ZL1 was under development, it was intended to be a Z28. The name was changed shortly before it debuted in 2011, at the insistence of Z/28 loyalists within the Camaro team. Only after that did they decide to do a true Z/28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote