Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #57
SSfriendly
Banned

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
No. The SS hits a sub 4 0-60 All by itself with the A8. I have MRC on my SS and it doesn't have a drastic change in the weight transfer like that. I'm not sure how much the Mustang has but I doubt it is drastic either.

Here is what we know: A GT PP1 can't hang with the 1LE on a track. We know it's "street" performance is close. I suspect MT got a 12.5-12.6 out of the GT.
Of course it can't, the tire size/width alone give the 1LE a significant advantage.
SSfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #58
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSfriendly View Post
"In Performance-pack equipped GTs, Drag Strip mode also changes the settings of the car's MagneRide dampers, helping increase weight transfer to the rear axle, providing greater traction." Per http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...eration-specs/
(old article, still valid)

The ability to launch on the street with computer assistance is critical in all of these magazine tests.

On the street...in drag mode, I can see the GT beating the camaro. Getting traction on the street vs the track is something entirely different.
Camaros do have launch control...but a good driver shouldn't have to use either of those things, as in most cases any wheel spin will usually mean a timing cut. But there are ways to "trick" it on the Camaro with clutch modulation. Plus, you can lock the mag ride in to tour, which is softer for a good launch, but still keep the other settings in sport or track.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #59
SSfriendly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Camaros do have launch control...but a good driver shouldn't have to use either of those things, as in most cases any wheel spin will usually mean a timing cut. But there are ways to "trick" it on the Camaro with clutch modulation. Plus, you can lock the mag ride in to tour, which is softer for a good launch, but still keep the other settings in sport or track.
Mustangs have had launch control as well. Drag mode is not synonymous, as it changes the dampening of the shocks to drag oriented settings as well as changes transmission parameters (firm shifts, changes shift points etc.)

With the camaro, I understand how touring mode could aide with weight transfer. I'm curious how far down the rabbit hole Ford went to try to get these things to perform for the magazines.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:50 AM   #60
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Of course it can't, the tire size/width alone give the 1LE a significant advantage.
Will the level 2 do any better? It is after all just a "street performance" package with no cooling.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM   #61
SSfriendly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Will the level 2 do any better? It is after all just a "street performance" package with no cooling.
Wider/lighter wheels all around with sport cup tires...I'd say it will.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #62
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Sounds like a lot of talking up from Ford, lol!! They advertise the PP and PP2 as being all this and all that and yet it is unlikely that either of these will be able to match the SS 1LE. Yet now we're supposed to believe in some miracle programming that will adjust the suspension THAT drastically?? Sounds like a lot to be hopeful for. And it sounds like an overhyped LC. If anything it'll slightly adjust the suspension so that you don't put excess strain on the parts or so that it is better suited for straight line work instead of whatever limited cornering it is capable of. It is nothing that Chevy and Dodge don't have or do...Ford just figured out a fancy name for it. It ain't like you're gonna bust off a 12.4 in the car, the put it in drag mode and drop another 3 seconds off. It more than likely won't have any effect at all or maybe just a minimal impact on the car's performance.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #63
hotlap

Quote:
But no track cooling.?.? The base GT350s overheated during parade laps.

Did you know the base SS has three radiators, brake cooling ducts, oil, transmission and differential coolers?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 11-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #64
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
But no track cooling.?.? The base GT350s overheated during parade laps.

Did you know the base SS has three radiators, brake cooling ducts, oil, transmission and differential coolers?
I've seen no mention of added cooling to the PP2, but it get's touted as this fantastic package that Ford let their engineers run a little wild with in respect to being track focused.

Keep in mind the GT350 5.2L turns over 8,000 rpm. Still, the 5.0L's on track will run some fairly high temps in stock or lightly modified form. You really need to put a nice oil-air oil cooler and/or a heavy duty radiator on them to keep them in an unconcerned state for fluid temps.

The regular SS has plenty of cooling going on to not have to worry.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #65
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I've seen no mention of added cooling to the PP2, but it get's touted as this fantastic package that Ford let their engineers run a little wild with in respect to being track focused.

Keep in mind the GT350 5.2L turns over 8,000 rpm. Still, the 5.0L's on track will run some fairly high temps in stock or lightly modified form. You really need to put a nice oil-air oil cooler and/or a heavy duty radiator on them to keep them in an unconcerned state for fluid temps.

The regular SS has plenty of cooling going on to not have to worry.
With the new GT turning 7500 the PP2 might be just like the 16 350 Tech Pack. Get 1 lap out of it then limp off the track....
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #66
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that added cooling is recommended for the PP2 if you want to track it, but I can't find where I read that now.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #67
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that added cooling is recommended for the PP2 if you want to track it, but I can't find where I read that now.

Nigel
That is written in the owners manual I believe
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #68
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
That is written in the owners manual I believe
Yes it is
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -
Old 11-21-2017, 05:11 PM   #69
FastCarFanBoy
Banned

Drives: 2013 GB GT
maybe drag mode lets 4psi out of the rear tires.

FastCarFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #70
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
For a few laps, till it goes into limp mode. Huge fail on Ford for not giving it coolers...a “track” car you can’t track.