AWE Tuning

Old 10-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Anyone bought in the US . . .

and bring it home?

what issues did you face?

was it worth it?
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #2
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
What?

Anything in particular. Exchange is not great right now.

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #3
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
and bring it home?

was it worth it?
I don't know if I can help you there. But I'd like to say thanks for using our air intake on your 2014! I hope you were pleased with your experience with Roto-fab.

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer2 View Post
and bring it home?

was it worth it?
There are a few...
1. U.S. dealers are required by their franchise agreement to deliver a car to a buyer with a U.S. address. That's not to say you can't come home with a "new" car bought at a U.S. dealership, but you would need an American friend or relative to buy the vehicle for you and then turn around and sell it to you as a used vehicle.

2. It is far simpler to buy a used vehicle in the U.S. and import it. If driving the car over the border, all the completed paperwork must be in the hands of customs officials at your crossing point, I believe 48 hrs. in advance of entering Canada. I'm pretty sure you'll need to apply for a temporary permit in order to drive it in Canada after crossing the border.

3. Sales Tax... best bet is to buy the vehicle in a state where there is no sales tax on vehicle purchases (i.e. Pennsylvania). Upon importation into Canada, you will be required to pay whatever taxes are applicable in your province on the vehicle.

4. Warranty... not all manufacturers maintain the same rules involving warranty coverage on imported vehicles that come into Canada. If I'm not mistaken, if a GM vehicle that is manufactured for use in the U.S. is imported into Canada, there is a 6 month waiting period during which the warranty on the car is not valid in Canada. After 6 months, I think the warranty becomes valid in Canada.

Those are the major issues, but there are others as well.
Your best bet is to check out this site:
https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

Best regards,

Elie
Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Homer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I don't know if I can help you there. But I'd like to say thanks for using our air intake on your 2014! I hope you were pleased with your experience with Roto-fab.

Michael
thanks. generally very happy with it. I will be getting your new one (most likely) for the new 50th.

one issue I had was moving the maf . the wires were very tight and I felt they were too stressed. don't know whether that was my car or your design.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Homer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
There are a few...
1. U.S. dealers are required by their franchise agreement to deliver a car to a buyer with a U.S. address. That's not to say you can't come home with a "new" car bought at a U.S. dealership, but you would need an American friend or relative to buy the vehicle for you and then turn around and sell it to you as a used vehicle.

2. It is far simpler to buy a used vehicle in the U.S. and import it. If driving the car over the border, all the completed paperwork must be in the hands of customs officials at your crossing point, I believe 48 hrs. in advance of entering Canada. I'm pretty sure you'll need to apply for a temporary permit in order to drive it in Canada after crossing the border.

3. Sales Tax... best bet is to buy the vehicle in a state where there is no sales tax on vehicle purchases (i.e. Pennsylvania). Upon importation into Canada, you will be required to pay whatever taxes are applicable in your province on the vehicle.

4. Warranty... not all manufacturers maintain the same rules involving warranty coverage on imported vehicles that come into Canada. If I'm not mistaken, if a GM vehicle that is manufactured for use in the U.S. is imported into Canada, there is a 6 month waiting period during which the warranty on the car is not valid in Canada. After 6 months, I think the warranty becomes valid in Canada.

Those are the major issues, but there are others as well.
Your best bet is to check out this site:
https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

Best regards,

Elie
Thank you Elie

Great info and as usual you are helpful . This confirms I wont be trying that route. I have access to a US address and I was thinking Becky could get me a good deal possibly but I will stay home.

Leggat has one I'm looking for.

Dennis