BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Like many have said, the monsterous low end torque of the LT4 should make pulling out a piece of cake with a little practice. I could very, very slowly release the clutch on my 99 Trans Am that probably had half of the low end torque of the LT4, and it would pull out without even giving it any gas at all. You can do that with most vehicles actually, but it is way easier with lots of torque. The hardest part will be learning to do it all smoothly.
Can't tell you how many times passengers familiar with stick-shift small cars have asked me how I do that as I leave a stop light...

Or the times I've "almost" stalled thanks to tons of torque pulling the engine back from the 100 rpm brink of death.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #16
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Figuring out the bite point of the clutch might be the hardest part of learning how to drive a manual. With most V8s if you let off the clutch slow enough, you can get the car moving without even using the gas pedal.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM   #17
jesusmetal777
noob

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Figuring out the bite point of the clutch might be the hardest part of learning how to drive a manual. With most V8s if you let off the clutch slow enough, you can get the car moving without even using the gas pedal.
THIS^^^

OP, I (like you) decided to finally learn manual transmission driving specifically for this car, (my first sports car) and have marveled at the irony of this new A10 coming out in the very same model year. But such is life.

In the summer I took a one hour manual driving lesson at a local driving school and then invested in a 2001 Ford Ranger 5 speed which I drove for 3 months (and still occasionally do); I wanted not just to know how to drive manual when I got my ZL1, but I also wanted to be "decent" at it. At a minimum I would recommend paying $75 for a one hour lesson. A professional instructor will have unique insights to offer, not to mention there won't be the pressure of "performing" for a friend or family member.

For me, like anything in life, when I'm unsure of how to proceed I go back to my narrative. Are you looking to beat hellcats at the drag strip or shave tenths off your lap time to beat cars that cost 4x your new ZL1? Or are you looking for a more engaging driving experience? This new A10 is an incredible piece of technology, but as others have stated nothing can replace the level of engagement and "oneness" with the vehicle that a manual transmission provides.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #18
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Like many have said, the monsterous low end torque of the LT4 should make pulling out a piece of cake with a little practice. I could very, very slowly release the clutch on my 99 Trans Am that probably had half of the low end torque of the LT4, and it would pull out without even giving it any gas at all. You can do that with most vehicles actually, but it is way easier with lots of torque. The hardest part will be learning to do it all smoothly.
Yup! This should be your 1st step in learning how to drive a manual. Find a parking lot and practice getting the car rolling from a dead stop in 1st gear by slowly lifting off the clutch with no throttle. Practice until you can do it consistently (without stalling) as well as smoothly.
Now that you have handle on the point that the car starts moving, start adding a little throttle while gradually lifting off the clutch a it more quickly. Practice - keeping smoothness as a priority. This strategy will allow you to get the feel of coordinating the gas and clutch at low speeds. Generally, the more throttle you give it, the less time you'll need to lift off the clutch. Again, smoothness and consistency are the priorities and stay focused on the gas/clutch coordination. When you feel confident that you're unlikely to stall, take it out into light traffic to build even more confidence.
At that point, you'll begin to experiment on your own.
Keep in mind these cars are very stout. Small throttle inputs and lifting off the clutch aren't gonna hurt the car. Just don't "ride" the clutch. Learn the coordination with the throttle and how to lift off the clutch as quickly and as smoothly as you can without jerking or lifting off the clutch too slowly.
There is more wear and tear on a manual transmission and clutch going down the dragstrip and redlining every shift.
If I can teach my daughter-in-law (who doesn't have a clue and has no feel for this sort of thing) to drive a manual on my CTS-V with no ill effects, then I'm sure you'll do just fine!
Good luck & enjoy!

Cheers,

Elie