Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #29
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Gotta lobby for my favorite 7thGen look....It must be a radical, revolutionary design...This 6thGen evolving from the 5thGen retro-look or whatever is played out....Massage this guy up with some Camaro bits, and I say it's a winner-winner, chicken dinner...lol

Attachment 969271
That's a Cuda?
JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #30

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyGTR View Post
That's a Cuda?
Nice catch!...lol....Yeah, that pic is probably 4-5 years old...Maybe older...

A concept of what the Dodge/Plymouth Cuda might have been, but never made it....I still like it...Dodge never built it...Something very similar would make a good 7thGen Camaro...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #31
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
the car size is way smaller compared to it's older brothers
Why did you reduce the overall length? Your research didn't indicate any issue with external dimensions. I see you improved the visibility by lowering the belt line and simultaneously increasing overall glass height, which is great, but I don't get why you think the car needs to be even shorter after the reduction Gen6 introduced.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:41 PM   #32
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Why did you reduce the overall length? Your research didn't indicate any issue with external dimensions. I see you improved the visibility by lowering the belt line and simultaneously increasing overall glass height, which is great, but I don't get why you think the car needs to be even shorter after the reduction Gen6 introduced.
I did this to be consecuent on the weigh reduction aimed at a 3300 lbs for this car, also for being a successful car over seas the car is to big... For masive markets like the asian, Europena and the growing markets like the Latin amerocan markets the current camaro is fiscally to big to drive arround a city like france, tokio or Sao Pablo

Last edited by Sesiom Summers; 12-26-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Sesiom Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:47 PM   #33
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Who the heck wants a LT series 350 engine with only 370hp? I have zero desire or want for a smaller engine that produces as much power as most modern V6 engines produce now. My wifes 2016 Audi SQ5 has a supercharged 3.0 V6 and came with 355hp stock, now it has 450hp or more.

You are proposing a 5.7 liter engine that makes 370hp when the V6 can already do that, the fuel economy wont be any better than the current LT engine and you wont be saving any weight from the engine system at all.

Dont even get me on the live rear axle thought, what is this the 80's thru 2000's? Who wants a new model that will handle worse than the existing model? Live rear axle is a dead technology in a performance vehicle, end of discussion.

Next I have zero desire for a cloth only interior nor no radio with only Android Auto or Apple Car play.

If they build the car like this it will be the end of the line for the Camaro platform for sure. Sure the Camaro could lose some weight, it is hard to do with the safety requirements. It could also use more room in the rear passenger compartment, but that isnt a make it or break it deal for me. The next generation will need to be lighter, handle better, have a better build quality and materials and will need to be more powerful while also getting the same or better gas mileage.
A current 350 LT based engine could be doing 400+ hp but a fuel economy tuned engine for the best posible MPG out of a V8 could decrease about 50 hp, also understood this concept was designed to be about 3200 - 3300 lbs curb weigh car made for being a DD not a V8 power plant like the current SS
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #34
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Keep it simple, get rid of fake/useless hump on front fender, rear quarter that just ruin visibility. Slightly bigger rear view mirrors. No fake shark gills whatever like 5th gen.

2" extra rear leg room - stretch the roof and head room for rear sized people.

Don't make it a wannabe corvette w fake rear seats.

Mechanics are good, fix aesthetic and functional items... you know like overhead console w place for your sunglasses. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:20 AM   #35
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
the Camaro of tomorrow will morph into a 2 seater replacement for the Vette when it changes to a Mid engine supercar.
I don’t see a problem with that. Consolidating is the trend now for automakers.

You can’t make everyone happy but I think storage space and visibility should be prorities. If you can’t work that stuff in you might have a car that’s unsellable in the current market.

As far as performane goes, we know a AWD electric can blow the doors off more powerful engines. Whether customers can accept the tradeoff from combustion to electric for more speed is the question. Sports cars should be for young people and older buyers may have to sit the next generation out.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:36 AM   #36
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The Mustang has an even smaller rear seat, yet it is seriously outselling Camaro.

After my 2010 2SS, my next car may be a Mustang and here are a few reasons:

All season tires available with V8
Spare tire available with base brakes
Fog lights available

And, if I decide to pass on the V8:

A10 available with turbo 4
Turbo 4 significantly more powerful than GM's (1/4 mile time almost equal to my 2010 V8)
Limited slip differential standard with all drivetrains

Overall, my Gen5 is a beautiful car, but the latest refresh of the Gen6 looks like a cartoon. The Mustang is a serious looking car.

Sorry.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #37
JhonnyGTR

Drives: La Macarena
I want something RRRevolutionary, leave the 6th gen exterior desing (Specially the pre-Refresh) and the two seater sport car Alone. Those things don't and won't sell well. (Sorry)

I Would like to see something Between the Bentley Continental GT and the Buick Avista concept (But Just in exterior desing)

JhonnyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
The Mustang has an even smaller rear seat, yet it is seriously outselling Camaro.

After my 2010 2SS, my next car may be a Mustang and here are a few reasons:

All season tires available with V8
Spare tire available with base brakes
Fog lights available

And, if I decide to pass on the V8:

A10 available with turbo 4
Turbo 4 significantly more powerful than GM's (1/4 mile time almost equal to my 2010 V8)
Limited slip differential standard with all drivetrains

Overall, my Gen5 is a beautiful car, but the latest refresh of the Gen6 looks like a cartoon. The Mustang is a serious looking car.

Sorry.

Agree with many of your points. GMs 2.0T is an outstanding engine, but the displacement difference simply gives the edge to the Mustang.

I don't see GM getting rid of the 3.6 V6 anytime soon so bumping the L4 HP likely isn't in the cards.

The tire issue is simply GM wanting the "base" car to handle better. No matter what, AS tires will not perform at the track. There was a base to base comparison a few years ago and the Mustang was destroyed simply because of the AS tires.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the...on/2100005405/

Note the Mustang has much more head room in the rear and much more front seat leg room allowing the seat to be moved further forward giving more effective rear seat leg room. Sit in the rear of an ATS coupe and you'll find generous leg room compared to the Camaro (same architecture) but again GM slammed the roof in the ATS coupe compared to the sedan eliminating anything resembling head room. Kids only in that one.

Remember when they launched the Camaro GM openly admitted they gave no effort to the rear seat as Consumer Reports scored coupes as a 1 for the rear seat no matter what they did. And it shows.

Also note the trunk volume difference. Mustang is almost 50% larger. Odd that in an ATS coupe you can easily get 2 sets of clubs in the trunk but with the Gen6 Camaro you have to remove your driver. A driver alone without a bag won't fit in a Camaro trunk with the rear seats up. Gen5 it could. Again, another choice off of the architecture. This alone is probably why I didn't buy a Gen6 Camaro. I was so anxious for that car, but trunk space and visibility turned me off as a DD.

I think GM has really 2 choices, more of the same or radically different. With the Mid Engine C8 coming the easy choice for GM is to simply take the Camaro even closer to the C7 market position. I don't see the C8 Corvette being a great GT like the C5 through C7 have been. Those 3 generations could handle golf clubs and luggage for a vacation easily.

And GM seems to be taking the easy and conservative choices lately. So I don't see them taking a Gen7 Camaro in new direction or anything that might sway the current SUV buyer into a sporty coupe.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:33 PM   #39
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
This ought to be interesting. Glad to see somebody else stepping up to create and post up some ideas. Good luck though; this is a tough crowd. They 'say' they want something different, but when you do that they complain about how it doesn't look like whatever retro features you didn't include.

Can't wait to see what you come up with and what kind of reaction it gets, although at this point it's probably too late to influence whatever GM already has sitting in a design studio room for the 7th gen.

Sadly, if the 7th gen sales curve continues like the 6th gen, there probably won't be an 8th gen or even a refresh of the 7th gen.

What I would do if I were in charge is start with the interior. Create a full interior with all the dimensions that make the car a good solid daily driver environment, including an artificial roof, artificial A, B and C pillars, and include trunk space. No outside body design elements at all; just a great interior. Design a great dash that's not so futuristic it's barely useful; there's more to a dash than looks. I shouldn't have to sit and stare at screens for several minutes trying to get to and select a setting.

After you've created a great interior and dash, work on engine and mechanicals placement, including wheels, wheel wells, suspension components, gas tank, etc. All of this is being done without any outside body work or design.

The very last thing you design is the exterior body; after you have everything else designed. Now comes the test of a true designer; what kind of body will you be able to put around all that without compromising any of it.

I've spent hours looking through and studying concept designs from every big company, and even some small studios to see what direction the 'future' looks are going. Unfortunately they all seem to be reaching for the same goal and the designs all tend to look a lot alike. None of them look particularly practical. None of them look like they'd make a good daily driver. Just because they say they're going to be electric seems to be all they need to claim it's a futuristic design. A lot of them unfortunately are covered in weird gills, flaps, fake intake designs that look like a Formula 1 car which is all the more ridiculous since they're supposed to be electric without the need for all that.

To the OP: good luck with your design and more power to you for trying. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #40
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
My take honestly is the market for the Camaro, Mustang & Challenger is shrinking every year, along with the overall car / family sedan. Hence the reason GM, Ford and Dodge are reducing the cars that they produce. Cars are not the new "cool" family vehicle. Heck I myself am guilty of that. I have owned a Chevy 4x4 truck, 2011, 2014 & 2017 as my "family" everyday vehicle and other trucks prior to that also. I finally only have my 13 yr old daughter in the house so I could justify having my Camaro as my "toy" car now. I am 45. I have wanted to buy a Camaro since they came back in 2010, but it wasnt practical for me and my family like a truck was and the truck still had the "cool dad" factor. Sometimes I still feel guilty having a car in the garage I pay on and we only drive on nice days or car shows and date night. The muscle / sports car market is more than likely going to become a "niche" market in the near future. I am pretty sure the big 3 know that and are gearing up for it. So IMO thats why they dont seem to be stressing about the sales of the Camaro like some people feel they should be.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #41
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FH212 View Post
My take honestly is the market for the Camaro, Mustang & Challenger is shrinking every year, along with the overall car / family sedan. Hence the reason GM, Ford and Dodge are reducing the cars that they produce. Cars are not the new "cool" family vehicle. Heck I myself am guilty of that. I have owned a Chevy 4x4 truck, 2011, 2014 & 2017 as my "family" everyday vehicle and other trucks prior to that also. I finally only have my 13 yr old daughter in the house so I could justify having my Camaro as my "toy" car now. I am 45. I have wanted to buy a Camaro since they came back in 2010, but it wasnt practical for me and my family like a truck was and the truck still had the "cool dad" factor. Sometimes I still feel guilty having a car in the garage I pay on and we only drive on nice days or car shows and date night. The muscle / sports car market is more than likely going to become a "niche" market in the near future. I am pretty sure the big 3 know that and are gearing up for it. So IMO thats why they dont seem to be stressing about the sales of the Camaro like some people feel they should be.
To piggy back on this topic...

The younger generations do not care about cars, they care about automation and about getting from point A to point B as simply as possible. The American love of the automobile is dying. That love came from generations that were going from being pretty immobile to mobile and able to go long distances. That time has passed, traveling great distances and the freedom that goes with that is lost on the newer generations.

The next 5-10 years will see new business models popping up to replace buying a car (think Maven). Cars are getting too expensive, when the average American has to finance a car for over 5 years, you know the model is broken.

As for the Camaro, I am happy to see it where it is at now. I love my SS 1LE. In no other time in history could you get the level of performance AND with the proper components (brakes, tires, wheels, suspension, etc.) to go with it from GM at the price point that it is at.

My first true sports car was a C5 Z06 and while it was an amazing performer, the components they used were crap. Warped rotors every 3K
miles, clutch pedal that stuck to the floor, electronic issues, etc.) That car was $50K new, I paid $47K for my SS 1LE.

Having said all that, if you get GM to build a "cheap" Camaro, you will see another C5 Z06 situation, where they will cheap out and produce something not up to par with cheap ass components. GM's current business model needs to cater to the "auto" crowd (which it is doing) and in parallel, be creating a new business model for the future generations.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #42
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
the Camaro of tomorrow will morph into a 2 seater replacement for the Vette when it changes to a Mid engine supercar.
I had this speculation too. I had a completely wild thought that GM would bring back a older muscle car to compete with the challenger. Maybe the Monte Carlo nameplate.
Cheaper Muscle Car- Monte Carlo.
America’s sports car- Camaro.
America’s super car- Corvette.

Although that’s really reaching and I 100% doubt it would ever happen.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote