Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Which is the better option for me?
4 Cylinder Turbo 29 38.67%
V6 46 61.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #29
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
One thing I am curious about. We all know now that the Turbo-4 will have 275-hp and the V6 will have 335-hp. Does anyone know how much LESS (at least I am assuming it will be less) the Turbo-4 will weigh, than the V6?

Considering the V6 will only have 60-hp More than the Turbo-4, will that really be enough to compensate for the additional weight it will probably have?

Here is another thing to think about. The Horsepower per cylinder ratio.

V6 = 55.83-hp per cylinder
Turbo-4 = 68.75-hp per cylinder

While I'm at it, the V8 will have 455-hp which equates to:
V8 = 56.875-hp per cylinder

I remember years ago, in the 80's, there was the 5.0 Mustang GT and a model below it that was either an "LT" or "LS" or something like that, and if you got that model with the V8, it was actually faster than the Mustang GT because it weighed less.

This Turbo-4 should be VERY interesting to look further into.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #30
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
The 2015 ATS-V turbo comes in about 112lbs less than its V6 sibling.

That is the closest I can come until Chevy releases Camaro weights.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 PM   #31
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
LX. It was only faster because it still had the same engine as the GT. It is like saying the 1ss will be faster than the 2ss due to weight. I'm sure it will be, but not by much.

Turbo 4 won't be much lighter than the 6. It has two less cylinders but 1 more turbo and intercooler.

Stock for stock, I think the 6 will be a good bit faster than the 4.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #32
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
The 2015 ATS-V turbo comes in about 112lbs less than its V6 sibling.

That is the closest I can come until Chevy releases Camaro weights.

Laborsmith
How much of that is due to more standard options on the v6?
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #33
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
On the Cadillac, altho I do not know it looks like the difference is the powertrain. As far as I can tell, the ATS-V MT includes a mechanical lsd and the V6 does not but I am not a Cadillac person so there may be a forum member who knows.

My experience upgrading diffs w/ aftermarket lsds, the aftermarket weighs more than the oem open diff.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #34
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Ok just to put this in perspective, I mentioned this thread to my boss, a long time executive at my company, hoping to get support in the extreme value of education. His comment, "well if the guy is debating between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder Camaro he might want to go back to college until he knows that he should just get a V8".
Old 06-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #35
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
So more advice on the 4 cylinder vs. V6 and less telling me not to buy a Camaro please.
I traded a Mazdaspeed3 for my Camaro. Let me give you some stats to think about. The MS3 came with a 263/280 DI Turbo 4 and weighed only 3150 lbs. The new Camaro 4 will put out slightly more power but weigh about 400 lbs more. Gas mileage will suck because you'll need your foot in it all the time to get it moving. With any 4 cyl, you turn on the a/c and it's like dropping a drag chute.

When we get dyno sheets on the two engines, pay close attention to the torque curves. My bolt-on modified LS3 puts down 350 lb/ft at the rear wheels at 2500 rpm. I would say if you can get close to 300 that low in the rev range, you'll have very nice pickup.

Last edited by Indydriver; 06-08-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:38 PM   #36
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok just to put this in perspective, I mentioned this thread to my boss, a long time executive at my company, hoping to get support in the extreme value of education. His comment, "well if the guy is debating between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder Camaro he might want to go back to college until he knows that he should just get a V8".
Hahaha, I almost fell out of my chair on your boss's quote. I am 25 and graduated a year and a half ago but I am going to wait for the prices to come out and that will justify whether I get the ss next spring or the following. I have a cx5 with the 2.5 liter in it and after 2 years I need a sports car back I am going stir crazy with the lack of power.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #37
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
I will be getting the V8 but if I were you and if I had to pick between the T4 and the V6 I would get the turbo 4. I'm very curious how the turbo 4 will respond to tuning I bet it will surprise some people.

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #38
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
I'm hoping this turbo 4 banger puts an end to the V6 Camaro. I don't like the V6 as a motor in general because it does everything poorly. It's a motor that exists solely for compromise.

The V6 has none of the power and sound of the V8, and none of the economy and potential of the turbo I4. That V6 is maxed out from the factory. Just like the 5th gen, you won't be able to do much with it. Toss on a set of mufflers, a cold air intake and more aggressive gearing and it's all over. The money it takes to make the 5th Gen V6 go anywhere could buy you the V8. The I4 with very little modification will smoke the V6 up and down the highway, track and drag strip and do it using less gas.

Hopefully this is an experiment on whether or not GM can eliminate the V6. I'm all for it - a turbo I4 base, the V8 SS and the blown V8 top dog.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 PM   #39
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
A college degree is even being pushed in the fire service. On the street a lot of guys look at college guys as not being worth a crap on the fireground and that there are street smart people and book smart people with the 2 being separate. I believe you can have both. I agree with the stereotype of the educated not being great firemen but I realize that's a blanket statement and there are exceptions to everything. It is not smart to put your life at risk. I've been a human spell and Grammar check for many college educated folks but here recently I've been replaced by the smartphone. Just going off what I see and who I've worked for. I do see the value of an education but for me if I was to stay with my department there is literally ZERO incentive to spend money on an education. An $8,000 raise (two promotions ahead of my position) with ten times the responsibility just isn't worth it to me, though I'm sure not being single would change that. And I am fully prepared to handle the promotion based on experience. I have an opportunity to switch to the private sector and nearly double my salary without a degree but I have to weigh giving up being in the action. Some schmuck I am.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #40
Arrow signs

Drives: Chevy Duramax
In So Cal a two year Fire Science degree as well as Paramedic school completion to even be considered for the highly competitive and awesome Fire Service jobs.
Congratulations on earning the degree! It's going to be interesting watching the performance Mods and Dyno results in the new 4 cylinder Muscle Car market.
Arrow signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #41
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Just another run of the mill, "should I buy a xxxx or yyyyy" thread turning into a discussion on career planning and personal finances.
I honestly thought the "buy the v8" would pop up first but I do see that alot where posters try to give financial and life advice to complete strangers. I believe most of the people that do that are envious that someone that young have the means of buying a camaro at his age when they couldn't do the same.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #42
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I'm hoping this turbo 4 banger puts an end to the V6 Camaro. I don't like the V6 as a motor in general because it does everything poorly. It's a motor that exists solely for compromise.

The V6 has none of the power and sound of the V8, and none of the economy and potential of the turbo I4. That V6 is maxed out from the factory. Just like the 5th gen, you won't be able to do much with it. Toss on a set of mufflers, a cold air intake and more aggressive gearing and it's all over. The money it takes to make the 5th Gen V6 go anywhere could buy you the V8. The I4 with very little modification will smoke the V6 up and down the highway, track and drag strip and do it using less gas.

Hopefully this is an experiment on whether or not GM can eliminate the V6. I'm all for it - a turbo I4 base, the V8 SS and the blown V8 top dog.
You realize WAY less than 1% of people mod their cars right...

99% of people would say a maxed out engine from the factory is a PLUS.

The turbo 4 isn't better fuel economy... it will be basically the same. Down the strip, it uses MORE gas....

Really... the V6 exists only because of compromises? EVERY engine has compromises. That's how engineering works.
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote