Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #57
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgate360mw View Post
I was also looking at Fbody's and Ls2 gto's, with either of those i wouldnt be doing payments so i think thats the better route...
Even if you don't have to make a payment on either of these cars take a loan out and build credit. At your age this is very important.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #58
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Under no circumstance am I going to beat you up over this (as there is literally NO reason to), but I just want to give my opinion on something.

People shouldn't get a brand new car as their first car regardless of what the reason would be. In life, earning things just makes it better when you finally get to where you want to be. I have always thought that a first car (typically for a 16 or 17 year old, depending on where you live) should be something used, kind of old, still runs good and maybe something you could get for less than $2,000.

This way if you save enough money you won't even have payments and you can get used to having a car (cleaning it, regular maintenance, vacuuming the interior, how to rotate tires, changing wiper blades, etc...).

Think of it more like an ongoing experience where you're sore of "Paying Your Dues" in the automotive ownership world. Will you ever get that brand new car that you love? YES, of course you will! You just shouldn't start out with it. Also, I can't even imagine what car insurance would cost for a 17 year old with a brand new V8 automobile of that caliber.

At first, I thought to suggest that you find a 2010 model (preferably a V6 1LS), but I think it would be a better suggestion to see if you can get your hands on a nice 4th Generation Camaro (with a V6) which would be anything from model year 1993 to 2002 (preferably a 2002).

This way you would still have a Camaro and it would be a nice build up car for you to drive at least as long as until your done with High School and College. Then, once you start working and settle in to your job for a bit, then you can go for something new.

No reason to rush into anything too soon, these 5th and 6th Gen Camaro's really are absolutely fascinating, but disciplining yourself into waiting for the right time (not as your first new vehicle) can make all the difference.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #59
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgnxs View Post
$11,040 a year for insurance? That doesn't seem right... but
yeah, probably not 100% accurate - but I think safe to assume 3 to 4 hundred per month?
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #60
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
He probably checked progressives website. Their rates are crazy on 16 year olds, at least they were 14 years ago when I was that age and got an online quote. For my trans am, my dad was listed on insurance as primary and I was listed as occasional driver on it and my parent's cars. Rates weren't even close to this number
yup, progressive.

just did one on Geico

$592.55 per month
Bodily Injury 25K/50K
Property Damage 25K
Medical payments 5K
Uninsured motorist 25K/50K
$1000 deductible comp / collision

Probably could get it down to 3 to 4 hundred with actually going thru every detail, added to parent's plan with multi-product discount...IDK, it is really expensive.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #61
CamRamRo

Drives: 2014 TR Stingray M7
I'd suggest finding a way to purchase a car with cash, or indirectly financing the vehicle so that you can get away with liability coverage only. For example, I bought a brand new GSXR 750 Sport Bike while in my early 20s. Insurance was going to be outrageous, so I bought the bike with a credit card and was able to make payments but carry only liability as it did not technically have a lien on it.
CamRamRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #62
Jcashan

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS RS 1LE W/ RECAROS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
yup, progressive.

just did one on Geico

$592.55 per month
Bodily Injury 25K/50K
Property Damage 25K
Medical payments 5K
Uninsured motorist 25K/50K
$1000 deductible comp / collision

Probably could get it down to 3 to 4 hundred with actually going thru every detail, added to parent's plan with multi-product discount...IDK, it is really expensive.
I'm 22, Have a 2013 1LS bought it new.... I have a $1000 ded. Comp/Collision and my insurance is $94 a month through nationwide and I live 10 mins from Dallas. No multi car discount or anything extraordinary just the basic discounts they give you. 2 speeding tickets on record also.
Jcashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #63
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcashan View Post
I'm 22, Have a 2013 1LS bought it new.... I have a $1000 ded. Comp/Collision and my insurance is $94 a month through nationwide and I live 10 mins from Dallas. No multi car discount or anything extraordinary just the basic discounts they give you. 2 speeding tickets on record also.
good...but op isn't 22 and not asking about a V6. I'm only the messenger.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #64
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
When I was seventeen I had already totaled a trans am and a chevy truck. I say go for it. You only live once and your Last day on earth could be tomorrow.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #65
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
There's a HUGE discrepancy here...first off..the op age. 22 is a huge difference in driving experience over 17. 5 years of driving tells alot about what a person has or has not done as far as tickets and accidents. I have at 43, no points or accidents in 19 years. A ticket now at my age will affect my insurance rates MUCH less than him at 17.

Secondly, there is a big difference between A. A first year new model Camaro and B. A 440 HP V8 and a 365 HP V6.

As well....most insurance companies require a minimum $750 collision deductible. I have had Nationwide, State Farm, AAA, Progressive and with Allstate now. I have financed 7 vehicles in the past 10 years with 7 different lenders (4 major banks 3 major credit unions)..5 lenders required a minimum of $500 and 2 $750. I don't know how Nationwide has let you slide on the deductible...but if you get in an accident and the lender is notified (95% chance they will since they own the interest) you will be in some not good waters and Nationwide can refuse to pay your claim.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #66
DJ A

Drives: Cammed 2010 SS
When I was 15 my first vehicle was a 2002 V6 Silverado (Given to me), Sold it bought a 1995 Z28, sold that then bought a 2007 Silverado 4.8L (salvage title), sold that and bought a 2008 Silverado 4.8L (salvage as well), then at 17 I had managed to sell that truck and save for A 2011 SS I had managed to snag for 13k (salvage as well). Drove that for a year until I decided I wanted a manual. So at 18, my parents and I came to an agreement that if I gave them my 2011 and the down payment for the new car, they would make the payments for me and it was also close to the end of my senior year so I guess you could say it was kinda like a grad present. Now I'm 19 and have done every mod myself on my car making 450rwhp. No speeding tickets or accidents to date and it's my daily driver. My point here is that just because we are young doesn't mean we're all stupid. Most kids that do get in accidents driving fast cars is because they came from beater 4 bangers or v6's (yes I know I went from a V6 to a Z28 too but it was when I first started driving and was too scared to actually push the car to its limits hence the reason I sold it so quickly) and they don't know how to control the power. This guy has an Monte Carlo which IMO is a lot worse than a new Camaro SS even with less power because of all the new technology and nannies these new cars have. I'm sure that Monte is a lot harder to control on the street than a new Camaro.

My advice to you OP is just don't be stupid if you do get what you want. Don't go showing off doing burn outs and trying to drift around corners. Be safe and watch for others on the street because these cars have terrible visibility, you really have to be aware of your surrounding when driving a Camaro.
DJ A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #67
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westgate360mw View Post
Time to start walking to school
Nah! Just keep driving Daddy's Z28.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #68
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
All in your name? No "riders"? I find that hard to believe. How long have you had that insurance policy?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #69
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
When I got my 2010 1ss I was 25. Insurance was right at 120 bucks a month I think. 1000 deductible. No tickets. State Farm and was included on my parents policy with multi car discounts etc.

17 on your own 2016 ss? Lol... Good luck. Will be almost as much as the car payment. Be paying the price of a mortgage at 17 to drive a camaro.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #70
Craig

Drives: ‘23 SS1LE
To the OP, these posts always get a few fish stories of people who learned to drive at 12 on the racetrack in an 800hp car with phone books stacked on the seat so they could see over the steering wheel. They were a little miffed at not getting to drive it to the first day of school but dear old dad had to go fill the 250 shot nitrous bottle for him and break in the new 5.11 posi...and not one bad thing ever happened. Before reading too much into those you should google "survivorship bias". That being said, the one who sorely needs some good advice is the cosigner not the buyer. Actually they need a good slap to the back of the head.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote