Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #29
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
Yes, there will be a part # for the hood, available through the Chevrolet Performance Catalog. The part will be released in the near future but please note it is for race use only, is not meant to be a street-used part.
why would you not be able to put this on a street car? Enlighten me please.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #30
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
I wish they could be registered for the street

Many states have new construction procedures that can be followed to get a vin and registration. Although intended for hot rods, custom motorcycles, trailers etc., it may be worth looking into if you can afford a COPO in the first place. May be possible with a little work and a few small lies...
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The factory hood is designed as an integral part of the vehicle's front crumple zone. The COPO hood is constructed based upon off-road, drag racing in mind and is constructed differently.

Hope that helps!
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
The factory hood is designed as an integral part of the vehicle's front crumple zone. The COPO hood is constructed based upon off-road, drag racing in mind and is constructed differently.

Hope that helps!
Not really no lol
Old 04-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
It is a purpose built drag car. General Motors did not engineer it to meet the safety and emissions standards required by a manufacturer to legally sell street cars in the United States. Additionally, I imagine that few of the unique components to the COPO's have gone GM's normal validation processes -making the folks that pay out warranty claims nervous. It doesn't matter if it would pass all these tests (although it probably wouldn't pass all of them), it costs a rather substantial amount money to simply conduct them and that cost would get tacked right onto the already high price of the vehicle (and keep in mind the extremely low volume means each car would have to carry a large portion of the burden). So to save everyone involved a bunch of time and money, it is sold as 'off road use only' vehicle.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #34
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
This is cool. Expected delivery date?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #35
flyinglow57

Drives: rumble bee,2SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It is a purpose built drag car. General Motors did not engineer it to meet the safety and emissions standards required by a manufacturer to legally sell street cars in the United States. Additionally, I imagine that few of the unique components to the COPO's have gone GM's normal validation processes -making the folks that pay out warranty claims nervous. It doesn't matter if it would pass all these tests (although it probably wouldn't pass all of them), it costs a rather substantial amount money to simply conduct them and that cost would get tacked right onto the already high price of the vehicle (and keep in mind the extremely low volume means each car would have to carry a large portion of the burden). So to save everyone involved a bunch of time and money, it is sold as 'off road use only' vehicle.
He wasn't talking to you... He was asking about the cowl hood
Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #36
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
DUDE! a COPO? WOW!!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 AM   #37
DADS45TH

Drives: 2012 Anniversary Edition
Congrats on the Copo. We have a big show June 1, 2 & 3 in Fort Erie if you're interested. Just across the boarder from Buffalo. Check out www.ccfbg.com for event info.
Enjoy your new toy.
DADS45TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglow57 View Post
He wasn't talking to you... He was asking about the cowl hood
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #39
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
So...based on the lack of answer...am I right to assume you bought a NHRA Stocker and won't be driving it? Please say I'm wrong...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #40
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
I wish I could drive it on the street! The car is sold on a bill of sale. There is no VIN number or title. It is basically a factory built drag car. I am sure I will drive it to a few car shows in my local town. This thing sounds wicked!!! There is a video of it on you tube with the 327 4.0 with the blower!!!! WICKED!!!!!!
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #41
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #42
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
congrats! that is awesome