Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #4915
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Out of the Taurus, Explorer, Charger, and Caprice PPV I found the Caprice to be the most comfortable and roomy, the Taurus and Explorer tied for the worst simply because the seat is just in such a horrible position. Wouldn't be so bad in cars with a half cage, but man my knees are killing me after a 10 hour shift in those cars.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #4916
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
If you are talking about the Chevrolet Caprice PPV, there were some built. They have since been discontinued.

http://www.government-fleet.com/phot...-ppv/6388.aspx
No. The Caprice was still just a regular Holden sedan that Chevy sold as a police car.

The thing that I was curious about was going to be designed from the ground to be a police car & nothing else. Pretty sure this was the first (and only) car the company had tried to build. I forget all the features it was supposed to have but I think it was to be diesel with AWD. The rear seats were to be moulded to seat a cuffed suspect while the front seats had space around the hip/waist area to give room for the officers radio, gun, and other things on their belt. I think the fenders were re-inforced for performing PIT manoeuvres. Might have been an integrated rack heavy weapons in the trunk. There were a ton of things it was supposed to have that were allegedly based on officers complaints about typical police cruisers.

Basically, the entire thing was intended to be delivered from the factory with 0 retrofitting for police duty while incorporating things that would be difficult/impossible for a converted civilian sedan to have but pretty straight forward to do if the car was only ever going to be for police duty.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:59 PM   #4917
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

This thing.

Got denied a DoE loan and the company went under shortly thereafter.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #4918
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

This thing.

Yep, thats the one.

Company was called Carbon Motors, and their website looks like its still up with info about their proposed E7 police car (and possibly selling hubcaps, wheel covers, and trim rings for some reason)

http://carbonmotors.com/
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #4919
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

This thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3
Yep, thats the one.

Company was called Carbon Motors, and their website looks like its still up with info about their proposed E7 police car (and possibly selling hubcaps, wheel covers, and trim rings for some reason)
Good catch! Forgot all about that one.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #4920
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I have another dumb GM related question lol, friend of my dad's bought a loaded 2017 Traverse. IS the mylink nav system not voice activated? He had a 14 Silverado and that nav systems was voice activated but he can only seem to get the nav to work by typing in the address?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #4921
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
A single quick tap should get you there and say navigation. Are you holding it and going into CarPlay?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #4922
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicul15 View Post
A single quick tap should get you there and say navigation. Are you holding it and going into CarPlay?
Basically what my dad's friend is saying is that if he wants to use his nav system, he has to type the address on the screen, he can not speak the address to the nav system.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #4923
FenwickHockey65

I'm not sure that's even possible... every nav system I've used has required typing in the address.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #4924
shaffe

Quote:
I'm not sure that's even possible... every nav system I've used has required typing in the address.
In Ford vehicles it's voice activated...
Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #4925
shaffe

Quote:
In Ford vehicles it's voice activated...

And here is one in a Cruze

What my dad's friend is saying is that he used to be able to do that in his truck, but can't in his Traverse. So is there something wrong with the nav system in his traverse or is the mylink nav system different in each vehicle
Old 03-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #4926
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
My Camaro and my wife's Volt both allow for voice input for Nav. Until I retired, I drove 2 - 4 different GM vehicles a year as company vehicles and countless "loaner" test vehicles. Every one of them that had Nav, since about 2007 or 8 have had voice input capability. Some better than others. Name a GM car in that time frame and I've probably driven it and I can't think of one that did not have voice input for Nav. Even with my Cruze, which doesn't have built-in Nav, I can use voice control via CarPlay.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #4927
FenwickHockey65

Only thing I can think of then is go back to the dealer and ask. I've had a few rentals from Ford and Chrysler with nav and I've never used voice input.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #4928
shaffe

Quote:
Only thing I can think of then is go back to the dealer and ask. I've had a few rentals from Ford and Chrysler with nav and I've never used voice input.
That's why I asked here lol, because he did take it back to the dealer and they said no you have to type it in. And to me that doesn't seem right if his previous mylink was voice activated, why wouldn't it be voice activated in a newer chevy

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions