Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Wiskey

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Horrible squeeling/grinding noise - fixed

Hello all!

I took my car to the dealer for a speaker replacement and when they brought it back to me I heard this terrible squealing/grinding noise coming from the back end. It was so bad that it brought people out of the offices to see what that was.

My car has 27K miles on it, and is still under bumper to bumper warranty, so I asked my service adviser to look into it. She informed me that it sounded like the breaks, and if it's a broken part then it's free but if it's wear than I'm on the hook for repairs. Plus the shop is closing, so I would need a rental and I would have to pay for that as well.

I questioned that, and she brought out a manager. He suggested that the car was probably safe to drive, and it was probably a rock stuck between the backing plate and the rotor. He would be happy to provide a rental etc, but if that was the case I would be on the hook for the charges.

I told him that if he felt it was safe to drive I'd take the car and take it apart at home.

I did, and he was absolutely right. When I pulled the left rear rotor off I found a tiny pebble jammed between the rear rotor and the backing plate. It had been grinding around in there and scratching both up. The damage was minimal and I'm sure in 20 miles the break pad will wipe the scratches off, but the noise was insane!

This is a little FYI if you ever experience the same thing. I've been working on cars for a long time and I've never had a rock get jammed up in there.

Whiskey
Wiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
yep i had that happen on my mustang..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 PM   #3
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
We had that happen on our '17 2SS, only it was the front rotor.

I pulled into the service bay, and of course it wasn't making the noise right then.
Service advisor got in and backed up a little and it was very clear then.

They took it in, and had it fixed in 30 minutes.

No charge
Maybe because we purchased the car from them, and it was only 6 months old at the time.

I figured it was a rock, and knew it wouldn't really be a warranty claim.
But the dealer took care of us.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is online now   Reply With Quote