Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 08-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #71
Sobak

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Hey guys, very first post in this forum. I purchased a 2018 Camaro SS last year and developed a "tick" in the front when turning. With the wealth of information in this thread I was able to resolve my issue without much stress. My particular issue was the wheel torque, while not real loose they were not at the proper torque specs. Now, no tick, problem resolved. Thank you!
Sobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #72
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobak View Post
Hey guys, very first post in this forum. I purchased a 2018 Camaro SS last year and developed a "tick" in the front when turning. With the wealth of information in this thread I was able to resolve my issue without much stress. My particular issue was the wheel torque, while not real loose they were not at the proper torque specs. Now, no tick, problem resolved. Thank you!
Welcome aboard!

Old 08-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #73
Sobak

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
Welcome aboard!

Thank you, I'm still finding my way around but I love the information that forms as this help disseminate.

Thank you
Sobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:20 AM   #74
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
The corrosion is between the aluminum wheel and the steel hub centric "pilot" as you call it that centers the rotor and wheel.

My car had the clicking until I rotated the tires and lubed the hub, haven't heard it since.
Just something I noticed was the wheels weren't torqued properly when new and making the noise. Ever since they have been torqued to 140ftlb each rotation/wheel swap. I have a set of factory ZL1 wheels and the stock 1LE's.

Just saw this now. The hub pilot isn't what supports the load. It's the friction between the wheel and hub (or brake rotor hat to be precise) mating surfaces generated by the clamping force of the lug nuts. So any corrosion on the pilot is not relevant to this issue. If there's insufficient friction between the wheel and the hub, then the wheel will shift around and strike the pilot, which is what causes the clicking noise. I could see impact marks on the pilots before I removed all the grease from the mating surfaces. If applying grease makes the noise go away, it's either because it's now slipping more easily, or the grease used happens to have a higher coefficient of friction than whatever it was GM used.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #75
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
At near 50,000 miles now.
Never applied any more grease, just made sure they were torqued properly each time, no noises.
That's why I mentioned the torque in the previous post, as that seemed the root cause.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:53 PM   #76
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
I was getting the ticking noise while turning a few years ago at an autocross and one of the course workers came up to me and mentioned it afterwards. I had definitely torqued all of my lug nuts to 140 ft-lbs myself beforehand and still had the issue. Running a drill wire wheel attachment on the rotor hats and backs of the wheels where they mate to the rotor hat solved the issue for me. So I guess there are multiple possible causes. I repeat this around once per year as a preventative measure so that the clicking noise doesn't return but most of the time I didn't notice the clicking noise anyways due to the wind noise from driving with the windows down and the exhaust noise.

I never applied any grease or anti-seize.

The local Discount Tire does this by default for all cars (except using air tools instead of electric) whenever they remove wheels from a car.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:00 PM   #77
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Probably doesn't make difference, but corrosion does built up behind rotor hat.

Cleans up easy, getting to it... not as easy.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 12:06 PM   #78
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
I noticed a "clunking" noise last year and I FINALLY had enough. That said, I followed the OP suggestions (anti seize) as well as this YouTube video (https://youtu.be/aAqbzedpfK4)

I found that one of my end-link bolts was loose, which is likely the cause of my "clunking" noise. However, I figured I'd take the OP up on his suggestions at the same time. In other words, a win-win. Thanks mjk3888 / everyone!!!
SHE'Z 18 is online now   Reply With Quote