Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #183
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Sorry i disagree on 2. Manually downshifting has an impact on stopping distance. I use the gears all the time to slow down and not have to use the brakes as much. This is the same as i do in my 6 speed camaro.
You've got a braking distance recorder on the car. Use it and see for yourself. You will find your senses do not match the distance it takes between the two

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #184
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
I see absolutely no common sense reasoning to why engine braking would reduce your stopping distance.. Unless you mean it works quicker than not using the brakes..

Maybe that's not even what you mean.. No clue..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #185
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
I see absolutely no common sense reasoning to why engine braking would reduce your stopping distance.. Unless you mean it works quicker than not using the brakes..

Maybe that's not even what you mean.. No clue..
Even quicker wouldn't be right. Got to think about the time it takes you to flip the paddle multiple times before you actually come to a stop. An emergency stop from 60 will not give you enough time to press that paddle more than once. I think he's thinking of "braking effort" where engine braking reduces the amount of pedal he has to use.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #186
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Even quicker wouldn't be right. Got to think about the time it takes you to flip the paddle multiple times before you actually come to a stop. An emergency stop from 60 will not give you enough time to press that paddle more than once. I think he's thinking of "braking effort" where engine braking reduces the amount of pedal he has to use.
Ok let me redirect this back....
The comment was on the challenger does not brake as well as a camaro. My comment was yes it does. The fact that I use my auto as a manual, you are right, reduces braking effort. I should have left it out of discussion, just confused statement, sorry, but to me that is the same as I drive my camaro 6speed. I use the transmission for deceleration. I am very much an old school driver and do not panic drive, slam on brakes. So a comparison to me on does it brake as well is apples to apples. Deceleration and brakes applied.

As one member pointed on on having braking gauge. I will have to play with it and see what difference occurs in emergency stop. Have not played with performance gauges much so will be fun to try out and see
Old 05-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #187
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Ok let me redirect this back....
The comment was on the challenger does not brake as well as a camaro. My comment was yes it does.
No it doesn't. I just looked at like 10 tests, the Challenger on average is 5-15 feet longer...but that is not the issue, it is fade.

Last edited by SS 1LE; 05-17-2016 at 09:30 AM.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #188
SuperSound

From the media tests it is very close (considering the weight difference) 60-0. C&D does a 70-0 test which shows a bigger gap. But I've also seen some reviews mention fade issues with the SP cars after a good bit of spirited driving. So there are differences but in daily driving doubt most would ever notice.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #189
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
From the media tests it is very close (considering the weight difference) 60-0. C&D does a 70-0 test which shows a bigger gap. But I've also seen some reviews mention fade issues with the SP cars after a good bit of spirited driving. So there are differences but in daily driving doubt most would ever notice.

Yup, fade seems to be the real issue, not distances.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 AM   #190
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
No it doesn't. I just looked at like 10 tests, the Challenger on average is 5-15 feet longer...but that is not the issue, it is fade.

I will agree on a track challenger just weighs more and both cars are similar in brakes. so brakes will fade sooner. On the scats dodge did run vents on the brakes to help out. But, If you are road racing SRT brakes would be better.

However, the challenger has a following from just old school muscle car geeks that like the old look and the majority that are buying a challenger it is for drag or street which should not have an effect on fade. in which case the challenger will have the advantage over the SS.

For road course the challenger stock is off balance for great handling. It comes in around 57/43. That is one thing on my current scat I am looking at what in the front can be reduced. Add to it the stock springs just suck add to it 45 series tires. Its a nightmare on turns. I replaced my springs and went to 30 series , 295 rears, 275 up front and major difference.