Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
SS MRC ride compared to STI

Have a question comparing the ride of an SS with MRC with newer Subaru STI/WRXs. Noticed that a few people on the forum have upgraded from Subaru STIs to SSs, and am thinking of trading my 16 WRX for an Camero SS. Based on a test drive I would say that the ride in Track Mode is about the same firmness as my 16 WRX (and STIs are firmer than that), and Tour mode for me was perfect for daily driving. Any former STI owners have any opinions?
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I cant speak for the MRC as my SS does not have it. I did trade in my 2016 STI limited for my SS. The STI has a HARSH ride very stiff chassis. It handles awesome but you pay the price in ride quality. The STI is rated .98G vs the SS .97G on the skidpad but the SS does not punish you on the road like the STI does. Braking in the STI was phenominal and the SS feels similar in that dept. Power is a washout the SS will flat kill the outdated boxer power train there is no comparison. I have an A8 and it will run a full second quicker thru the qtr mile. I had a limited STI with the lip spoiler so it was loaded. The Harmon Kardon stereo sounded better than the Bose in my 2SS mostly due to the lack of a subwoofer. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, remote start all biggies in my book that the STI was missing. Trunk is smaller and a bit harder to load/unload on the Camaro vs the STI. Sorry if I went off topic a bit but thats a good overview of my thoughts. I have just about 500 miles on my SS and dont regret the decision one bit. As to your original question I will reiterate the ride in the SS is SO much more forgiving than the 2015+STI.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 AM   #3
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
I had a 2011 wrx and my buddy owns a 2013 sti which I ride in and drive fairly often. I currently drive a 2SS with MRC. Truthfully, I had unrealistic expectations for what the MRC could do. Does it make the ride more smooth compared to track mode? Sure. But it doesn't ride like a Cadillac either. Track mode is nice and stiff very similar to a wrx. Tour mode is more comfortable but doesn't work miracles. You still feel bumps it's just not quite as severe. In my opinion MRC is worth it and makes your DD more bearable compared to an STI.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 AM   #4
JFM-jr

Keep in mind that Subaru redesigned the chassis in 2015. The ride is changed as well as the handling. The car transmits alot more into the cabin.
11.0@124.9
Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
alaskajoel

Drives: White 2SS 6MT
I echo JFM. I had a 2015 WRX but returned it in the first week because the ride and noise were so uncomfortable. Got a GTI instead, which is more comfy, but wrong-wheel drive. Haven't driven a Camaro with MRC, but the standard model SS feels a lot like my GTI and is SO much more comfortable than the WRX...I can't even imagine what the STI would do to my back!
alaskajoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
at7000ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM-jr View Post
I cant speak for the MRC as my SS does not have it. I did trade in my 2016 STI limited for my SS. The STI has a HARSH ride very stiff chassis. It handles awesome but you pay the price in ride quality. The STI is rated .98G vs the SS .97G on the skidpad but the SS does not punish you on the road like the STI does. Braking in the STI was phenominal and the SS feels similar in that dept. Power is a washout the SS will flat kill the outdated boxer power train there is no comparison. I have an A8 and it will run a full second quicker thru the qtr mile. I had a limited STI with the lip spoiler so it was loaded. The Harmon Kardon stereo sounded better than the Bose in my 2SS mostly due to the lack of a subwoofer. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel, remote start all biggies in my book that the STI was missing. Trunk is smaller and a bit harder to load/unload on the Camaro vs the STI. Sorry if I went off topic a bit but thats a good overview of my thoughts. I have just about 500 miles on my SS and dont regret the decision one bit. As to your original question I will reiterate the ride in the SS is SO much more forgiving than the 2015+STI.

Thanks for the comparison JFM, what I was hoping to hear since I am thinking about ordering an SS just like yours except for the transmission.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
at7000ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaayy View Post
I had a 2011 wrx and my buddy owns a 2013 sti which I ride in and drive fairly often. I currently drive a 2SS with MRC. Truthfully, I had unrealistic expectations for what the MRC could do. Does it make the ride more smooth compared to track mode? Sure. But it doesn't ride like a Cadillac either. Track mode is nice and stiff very similar to a wrx. Tour mode is more comfortable but doesn't work miracles. You still feel bumps it's just not quite as severe. In my opinion MRC is worth it and makes your DD more bearable compared to an STI.
Have you driven the 2015+ WRX/STIs? Much stiffer than earlier models (and much better handling to go with the rough ride), like I mentioned about like riding in a 16 SS/MRC in track mode all the time. Think the Camero is the best of both worlds.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #8
Boxmonkey

Drives: 2015 STI
I own a 2015 STI and test drive a 1SS with MRC yesterday. I didn't play with different modes, only drove it in Sport. It felt a slight bit less controlled but I never experienced the harshness that the STI occasionally has. I thinknthe SS had a decent DD/performance balance. It didnt talk to the driver as much, tho. Much less communicative.
I wasn't blown away by the power, either. I didn't really abuse the car since it wasn't mine, but it didn't feel as fast or at least any faster than my STI with turbo back exhaust and a tune. Could have been because of the altitude here in Denver.
Over all, the Camaro felt more special and mature than the STI. More solid. The 6 piston brakes were very nice. I liked the interior more, but can't say it's a huge improvement in quality vs. the STI.
All that said, I'm still very excited about the 1LE.
Boxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #9
JFM-jr

Box rest assured this Camaro will flat spank a stage2 STI in acceleration I say with with 100% certainty.
11.0@124.9
Old 04-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
probably feels slower due to the long gearing in the chevy. A c6z feels the same way. as you probably know, the 6SS vs the STi would be a slaughter at any altitude.

these cars are just shy of 60mph in 1st gear where the STi is done with 2nd at the same speed.

its the same effect as a 3.73 mustang GT, just banging through gears. makes it feel like you're going fast.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
Boxmonkey

I've seen all the 0-60 posts here and in magazines so I'm sure y'all are right. It's just how it felt, and admittedly, I wasn't beating on it. And actually I have to grab 3rd to make it to 60 in the STI.
To add to my previous post and in response to the OP, the SS MRC did have a very nice ride in sport. Not harsh but controlled and firm. While I don't find the STI suspension too harsh many do and there are times it makes me wish for something a bit more comfy.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
There are two ways to get a better ride and better performance from a '15 STI. Call RCE for some clubsport CO's. Night and day difference, the road manners of that car with the ATV/VDC made it come alive. After that call the vendor of your choice for a fk load of go fast parts and a block rated to 500+ hp because the factory block WILL shit the bed @ 420ish even if sleeved. I know, my wife destroyed her's then fixed the problem with an order that was full of cosworth, wiseco, tomei, atp, etc. She was @ 480 on a semi aggressive e85 tune with room to grow.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:05 AM   #13
Boxmonkey

Did you really find that the RCE's ride better?!?! They're on my list should I not get a camaro. I know they handle better but would be surprised if they were more comfortable too.

As for power, unfortunately. I hafta worry about emissions. So I don't want to put too much on that I'm gonna hafta take off every other year.
Your wife's car sounds like a beast! Keep her!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
Netslave
GM paint evaluation dept

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxmonkey View Post
Did you really find that the RCE's ride better?!?! They're on my list should I not get a camaro. I know they handle better but would be surprised if they were more comfortable too.

As for power, unfortunately. I hafta worry about emissions. So I don't want to put too much on that I'm gonna hafta take off every other year.
Your wife's car sounds like a beast! Keep her!
She had one of the first sets of KW V3's on the east cost and said they were way stiff adjusted for track or street. And when adjusted to be softer it was like being stock. She raved about the RCE's. I understand about emissions, I thought she was going to stick with tuning, down pipe/headers/exhaust, cai etc and be able to squeak by the sniffer tests but have a reliable 360hp. She went a little crazy with it but it was a great car. She just got an offer she couldn't refuse and wanted to do up a new camaro which turned out to be a huge mistake. One we hope to rectify soon.

- A GM factory custom orange and mosaic black striped 2016 SS 2SS
- U̶n̶o̶f̶f̶i̶c̶i̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ Officially the worst Mosaic Black paint on a 2016 Camaro SS 2SS

See him here -

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...3M&usp=sharing
Netslave is offline   Reply With Quote