Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #71
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
The key word I used is Performance. There have been and will be many different displacement V8's for many applications in GM (cars and trucks)

However for NA performance applications, Camaro, Corvette and now SS I'm saying that it wouldn't seem likely that GM would develop another V8 of lower displacement for use in these vehicles.
But the LS2 and LS4 were performance engines. The LS4 5.3L came after the LS2 6.0L. Take the LS4, which had DOD, and give it DI/VVT and you may be able to get more HP and greater MPG without having to use DOD/AFM. Those same people buying GXPs, Impala SSs and Monte Carlos SSs back in the mid 2000s would probably buy something with those characteristics again.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #72
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I found it interesting that Dodge offers 2 different Hemi's for the Challenger...Don't know why GM would need to "develop" a new engine, instead of offering say the LT1...(450 hp, with AFM) as well as the LS3 (426 hp, without AFM)...just sayin'...
And as we have seen with the introduction of the 2014 LS3 powered Chevy SS. This may very well be the case for some time to come.

But again the bottom line is GM Powertrain spent years and many millions of dollars developing the Gen V V8 with DI, AFM and DOD for performance cars like the C7.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 PM   #73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...I must have missed it somewhere...(senior moment, perhaps)...what's DOD?...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #74
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Well don't forget the trucks...all that money they spent went into a ton of different setups, it only makes sense that they would have a lower displacement HP motor because that would be like putting an LS7 into caddys, trucks, and even the SS and Camaro..the LT1 was "specifically" designed for the corvette but the need for HP and MPG's is needed in many other applications.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #75
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
...I must have missed it somewhere...(senior moment, perhaps)...what's DOD?...lol
Displacement on Demand. The precursor to AFM.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #76
KarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
But the LS2 and LS4 were performance engines. The LS4 5.3L came after the LS2 6.0L. Take the LS4, which had DOD, and give it DI/VVT and you may be able to get more HP and greater MPG without having to use DOD/AFM. Those same people buying GXPs, Impala SSs and Monte Carlos SSs back in the mid 2000s would probably buy something with those characteristics again.
You’re talking about a few different things here.

The LS1, LS2, LS3 have been the base performance engines from GM since 1997. As you have seen the displacement has gone up from 5.7L to 6.0L to 6.2L during the Gen IV LS engine run. This has been done to meet higher and higher performance objectives. With no real penalty in external size and weight from an LS1 to LS3 the added HP and torque from larger displacement has allowed cars like Corvette to remain competitive in the marketplace. If they can maintain the performance increases from the larger displacement and still hit fuel economy targets for Gen V with the new technology there is no reason to go lower displacement.

As for the LS4 powered FWD W cars they will probably not be duplicated again. A combination of CAFE and the advent of modern and more powerful direct injected 4cy and V6's with forced induction options will make the FWD V8 obsolete.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #77
KarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I agreee but disagree also. If they produce a car that takes kindly to after market enhancing, one might be more apt to purchase it over another less modifyable car.
While I completely agree with you and this is something I think about when purchasing a vehicle.

I can say that the vast majority of consumers do not share our passion.

And on GM's list of priorities for developing a new Camaro or V8 engine having an easily modifiable engine is far closer to the bottom of the list than the top. Fuel economy numbers and advertised HP and torque will take precedence because those things will help sell the cars that are powered by these engines.

It’s hard to say GM doesn’t care about aftermarket performance because of the vast amount of products from crate engines to even cars like COPO Camaro but when it comes to modifying street cars they sell it’s just not a high priority.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #78
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
I think we all want better gas mileage, regardless of AFM. If they are doing it to appease the US Govt, then so be it.

The only reason they are doing it is to appease the government. If we were all that concerned about mileage, we would be driving V6 Camaros. The gimmicks GM is using to increase mileage is to meet artificial marks set by the government, not by the people buying the car.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #79
gcope63

Drives: 2007 Corvette, 2004 Grand Prix GTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.
I am curious where you saw that it was switchable. I have been on the C7 forum and have not seen anything that says its switchable..
Not saying your wrong, there is like a million posts on the C7 forum so could have easily missed it. Could you send me the link to this?
Thanks!
gcope63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcope63 View Post
I am curious where you saw that it was switchable. I have been on the C7 forum and have not seen anything that says its switchable..
Not saying your wrong, there is like a million posts on the C7 forum so could have easily missed it. Could you send me the link to this?
Thanks!
Good question!...His post was all I saw that said it was...nothing was mentioned in the LT1 links that were posted...This could throw a wrench into everything!...lol
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcope63 View Post
Thanks!
...I just put up a thread in the Vette forum asking about this....Fen replied that their may be some sort of "mode" that limits AFM kicking in...I guess they really don't know what's up yet, either...still speculating over there...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #82
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
...I just put up a thread in the Vette forum asking about this....Fen replied that their may be some sort of "mode" that limits AFM kicking in...I guess they really don't know what's up yet, either...still speculating over there...
Engineers did an interview, and there was some details in writing about how the Driver Selection Mode system can disable AFM in competition modes, and maximize it's operation for touring/Eco modes.

Certainly don't want AFM to activate that one freak moment when you're coasting to a turn around a track!

I'll see if I can find it - but I haven't been saving C7 documentation like I do Camaro stuff...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #83
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Engineers did an interview, and there was some details in writing about how the Driver Selection Mode system can disable AFM in competition modes, and maximize it's operation for touring/Eco modes.

Certainly don't want AFM to activate that one freak moment when you're coasting to a turn around a track!

I'll see if I can find it - but I haven't been saving C7 documentation like I do Camaro stuff...
It wouldn't surprise me if it was configured to only invoke AFM if you were running at a sustained speed/rpm for a given period of time, a period of time that would not usually be enountered at the track.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #84
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if it was configured to only invoke AFM if you were running at a sustained speed/rpm for a given period of time, a period of time that would not usually be enountered at the track.
"Usually" being the key word. Currently, AFM is programmed to only activate if a given set of circumstances are true, like speed, load, throttle position...very similar to the logic that makes skip-shift (CAGS) work.

It sounds as though this new AFM is something quite special in terms of effectiveness...I can only imagine that means, partially, it's working more often...so that could be bad in a spirited-driving situation. Wouldn't surprise me one bit that engineers made a point to offer a choice, so Corvette wouldn't get bad press from enthusiasts...

Still looking for where I saw that...

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation