Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-18-2022, 03:20 PM   #1
cooperc

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Coilovers for '10-'12 v6 models?

I've looked everywhere searching for coilovers for my car, 2011 RS, and have found a few that say they're for the v8, some just say for the Camaro, some say both for v6 and v8. didn't make sense to me, thought the v8's had bigger struts, sway bars & end links? Anyways, any recommendations for coilovers made for the v6 or work for both? and what are the limitations that come with a set made for both engines? thanks in advance.
cooperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The Camaro uses the same chassis all the way through (1LS to Z/28) so any coilover will fit on any model (magnetic-equipped models like the ZL1 obviously have a difference).

I've only had BC Racing's BR series but they seem pretty solid, especially for the price. Default spring rate is 8kg front/12kg rear (their rears can't be changed from 12 for some reason); if I were to do it again I'd probably go 10kg front as I have a bit of oversteer, but then again I also have a massive rear sway bar (JPSS's solid 32mm bar) and a square tire/wheel setup (factory rears up front). I believe some manufacturers use 10 front/12 rear by default.

Have or planning on any other suspension mods?
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts

Last edited by KillboyPowerhead; 02-18-2022 at 05:01 PM.
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:22 AM   #3
cooperc

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillboyPowerhead View Post
The Camaro uses the same chassis all the way through (1LS to Z/28) so any coilover will fit on any model (magnetic-equipped models like the ZL1 obviously have a difference).

I've only had BC Racing's BR series but they seem pretty solid, especially for the price. Default spring rate is 8kg front/12kg rear (their rears can't be changed from 12 for some reason); if I were to do it again I'd probably go 10kg front as I have a bit of oversteer, but then again I also have a massive rear sway bar (JPSS's solid 32mm bar) and a square tire/wheel setup (factory rears up front). I believe some manufacturers use 10 front/12 rear by default.

Have or planning on any other suspension mods?
Oh interesting, i figured the weight difference would be enough to warrant at least different spring rate. so any suspension modifications will fit the v6 model? i’ve absolutely got a bit more planned suspension wise, swaybar and bushing kit, as well as subframe braces, an angle kit if available.
cooperc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
The factory spring rates are quite a bit lower than what come standard on coilovers (at least some coilovers - maybe the more pricey ones will have more purpose-designed spring rates?). According to DSE the factory spring rates are as follows (lbs/inch):

V6: Front = 145; Rear = 300
V8 (non Z/28): Front = 156; Rear = 383
Believe Z/28 rates are 305/610, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

BC Racing's BR series comes with 8kg front/12kg rear which is equivalent to 448/672, so considerably higher than the factory springs.

Regarding other suspension mods, the rear sway bar was changed to a new design in 2012 (mounts to the lower control arm outside of the springs rather than inside), so this won't directly fit a 2010/2011, and instead you'll need the 2012 - 2015 lower control arms (and sway bar links) if you want the new style (makes a huge difference). Also note that most bars including all of the factory bars will interfere with the V6 rear brake calipers; I have the JPSS bar (no longer made), and I've read the Hotchkis bar works too.

Besides that, coilovers/shocks/springs, control arms, bushings, camber plates, etc. are all compatible with V6 and V8 models. Believe there is an inconsistency with the 2012+ front bar and the 2010/2011 models, and the newer sway bar links have 12mm studs vs 10mm, but that just requires a drill (or something to that effect, kinda forget, might wanna do a search on the forum).

As for a subframe brace, JusticePete (former Camaro suspension guru on this forum and the (former) owner of JPSS)) always said that the solid subframe bushings gave the same benefits of a brace without the extra weight.

An angle kit if you want to call it that can be bought from DSE (https://www.detroitspeed.com/product...parts/031730DS), otherwise you'll have enough camber/toe adjustability from the factory for standard street driving, assuming you don't lower more than 1 - 1.5". Camber plates can be used to move the whole strut inward, increasing angle of inclination and thus improve straight line stability and wheel-centering exiting turns (again, overkill for street driving).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, 2011, 2012, coilovers, suspension