Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
Question Opinions...M6 or a6

Hello everybody,
I had a 2010 SS2 with the M6 and had to sell in 2012 due to babies and business. I am now in the market for a 2013 ZL1 convertible!
Anyhow, I did a bit of tracking back then, and would like to get back on the track.
My question is in reference to the A6 tranny...is it awesome? Is it track worthy? I have never used the paddle shifter and always had a stick, but their is a sweeeet 2013 ZL1 for sale in my hood with only 3,000 miles, but with the auto tranny. Will I regret not seeking out a ZL1 with a M6 tranny for daily and track use? I love stick, but am intrigued by the newer technology of the paddle shifting A6
I appreciate any advice or input.
I'm ready to get back into the game and Camaro5 family.
Thanks,
Rob
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
ZL1Kid_AL

Drives: 2014 ZL1- Summit White M6
Personally I love my M6, gives you 100% control of the beast, and in my opinion makes going to the track 2x better

Autos are very great too, and very fast with and without a stall. Plus provides consistent times all day.. You will never out shift an auto car with the new technology in today's world but it sure is fun trying. I'd say take it for a test drive if possible, one drive will be all you need to make a decision
Old 04-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Track?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
This has been discussed a lot on this site. Each one that weighs in on this will tell you what they have and how much they like it.You will only be more confused than you are now! I have a ZL1 with the auto and a Z/28 and it is a manual and I know they are two different cars designed to do different things but I will tell you I like the auto and the paddle shifters myself. Maybe who ever has the car you are looking at will let you test drive it and that will let you make up your mind. The only problem with the paddles are you have to shift about 500 rpm's ahead of the redline because it takes it that long for it to shift.I have got used to it and it is no big deal to me. Again,I like the auto over the manual but someone else will like the other. Good luck with which ever one you choose and you will like the Z, they are awesome cars!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
Redlineviper

Opinions will vary. The stick guys will say manual is the way to go. The auto is a great trans and works very well. Heat will be the challenge to combat. Depending on the track and weather a full 20 session may be cut a little short. Great for smooth up and down shift, faster at the quarter, easier to live with in stop and go traffic. This is all coming from a guy who loves manual transmissions. The A6 is great.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:17 PM   #6
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
A6 is great, if you can deal with no feeling like you are doing nothing but steering then go for it.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
If you're wanting to get back to the track, you might want to reconsider buying a convertible. Not only do the convertibles not have the 5 PTM modes and belly pan, but many tracks will require some form of approved roll protect before letting a vert on the track.

Now Don't get me wrong, I love my M6 convertible. It's a great car and a heck of a lot of fun to drive with the top down. Just understand that Chevy doesn't market the convertible to the track enthusiast. That's what the coupe is for.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
hognutz

If you love a stick I would get a stick.

the auto's quarter mile better though. I don't know if it is the wide ratio gearing or that you can just module the traction better through the auto.

the 6 speeds are light years better than the old 4 speed crap though it really comes down to what the individual likes best.

I would try to get some seat time in the auto.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
If you plan on tracking the car, I would definitely not get a convertible. They don't have PTM Modes and the top speed is also a lot less.

As far as the transmission, I love the A6. You essentially have 3 different modes. "D" which is regular drive mode, is just a normal shifting mode that is daily use. "M" which is Sport mode, is a competitive shifting mode which gives tighter shifts closer to the redline. If it senses aggressive or competitive driving, it will hang in the gear even if you let your foot off the gas for a bit. The last mode is using the paddles. You can use the paddles in either "D" or "M". Say I'm in "D" and I want to downshift to pass someone on the highway. All you have to do is tap one of the paddles and it automatically goes into Manual mode. Note: While using the paddles in "D" they only stay on for 10 seconds after your last shift and then it resets back to regular drive mode. While using the paddles in "M" they will stay on until you shift the car back into "D."

Another difference is that "D" starts the car in 2nd gear, and will never downshift to 1st, even if you WOT. If you want to start in 1st gear you'll have to shift to "M" mode or use the paddles to downshift to it. Also, the A6 does not have Launch Control. That is only a feature with the M6.

Ultimately, test driving at least the A6 so you can see how it works, would be best. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:51 PM   #10
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Like others have said, if you track get a coupe, and one without a sunroof. Oh yeah, get a M6, they are far more fun than a Auto.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #11
fhpchris

Drives: 2015 Summit White Z/28 #97
I own a M6, and think that the auto would be great for daily driving with traffic.... when the goodyears start wearing down they are like ice skates.... really easy to spin from a 2nd gear roll in the M6 on bad surfaces. I would think the auto has much better traction. I drove a C7 non-Z51 with the A6 and thought it was worth serious consideration if you are more a stoplight to stoplight kinda person.
fhpchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 AM   #12
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
If by track you mean road course, convertables are not usually allowed with out a certified roll cage system.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:42 AM   #13
TobysZL1

Drives: ZL1 Gone but not Forgotten!
I have a M6 and I too find myself desiring an auto. But when I had my auto SS I wished I had the manual, nevertheless that's Why I traded it 6 months later for a manual SS. When it was time to upgrade to the ZL1 I was definite on getting a manual. Didn't want to do the hole trading thing again. Now I wish I would of at least test drove an auto ZL1 cause I hear there awesome. I'm the kind of person who always wants what I don't have, I think I'll always desire what I don't have.
I just like the hole idea of having a supercharged 580 auto with paddle shifters. Ughhhhh.....I don't know what the hell I want!! Lol!

One thing is for sure, dual clutch autos will be making there way into every high performance car sooner then later..... and when that happens it will be a no brainer and it will also be the day for an upgraded new ride.

Good luck in whatever you get, the Z is top notch!
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
TobysZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:22 AM   #14
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
Let me explain my situation a bit further.
This not my daily driver, and I now have 2 boys, 4 and 6 years old, and I run a very demanding business, and drive a 2013 Summit White Tahoe LTZ as my daily driver. My Wife also has the 2014 diamond white Suburban. We're a Chevy family, lol.
The way I'm "selling" this 3rd vehicle to my Wife is that it will be our fun, family weekend convertible, as we live in S Florida, and I will take it to the road track occasionally to blow off some steam and have a day to myself. Which is actually mostly true. I spend a lot of the little free time I have with my family, and this would allow me to do both. It's also why I was considering the A6 in the first place.
I already contacted the clubs I used to track with, and they said that the convertible is fine, until you get up to the higher levels.
My friend has a new Porsche Boxster, and loves the paddle shifters, but that a dual clutch system, so I don't think its the same.
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice or opinions