Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2024, 01:08 AM   #1
Saffir3
BBL-BEE

Drives: Bright Yellow SS 1LE
Metal in engine oil filter pleats

I do not know how long this engine oil has been in my car and I just recently changed it and took these pictures when I cut open the filter. is this normal? I have a 2014 Camaro with an LS3 and 99,000 miles. I already pulled a oil sample and sent it off to the lab today.
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2024, 03:08 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
No sir that is not normal. Looks like aluminum possibly from the cam, rocker arm, bearing material, or something rubbing against the block.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:03 AM   #3
Bluebagger06

Drives: 2012 camaro ss
Might be time to do a cam kit, Looks like maybe cam-lifter wear possibly!
Old 04-05-2024, 04:57 PM   #4
Saffir3
BBL-BEE

I put a hard drive magnet next to the metal flakes and they are magnetic, so it would be part of the camshaft, lifters, crankshaft, pistons, or rods right, I don't think there's anything else magnetic in these engines.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:09 PM   #5
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
I'd bet that a lifter locked up and is actively wiping out a cam lobe.

That much steel would be noisy if it was rod bearing spun or gone.

If it were me, I'd start with pulling the cam and go from there.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:49 AM   #6
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Just throw some zinc into the system and call it a day ����

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 09:58 AM   #7
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275470

Pics are gone but I now have 7k on this motor and it's never missed a beat. I have never cut open another filter.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:09 PM   #8
Saffir3
BBL-BEE

UPDATE GOT OIL REPORT BACK!!!

I just got the oil report back from Blackstone Laboratories and here is what they said:

"MY NAME: If this Camaro looks as good on the outside as it does on the inside, you picked out a beauty! The engine's wear profile suggests all is well with the mechanical parts inside this engine. Universal averages show typical wear for an LS-3 after about 3,900 miles on the oil. Most wear metals are close to averages. Copper isn't, and it shows low wear at brass/bronze parts. That's great! Just note silicon is a bit high. It probably has a harmless source like sealer, but you could check for air intake leaks in case it's dirt. The viscosity is in the 5W/30 range, like it should be."

I think that I am just tweaking? what are all the metal bits in my oil filter then, is it just the filter doing its job??? everything sounds cherry in the report I really do trust them I attached a screenshot of the oil analysis form, feel free to look at it and let me know. lets hope its all good.
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2024, 07:22 PM   #9
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffir3 View Post
I just got the oil report back from Blackstone Laboratories and here is what they said:

"MY NAME: If this Camaro looks as good on the outside as it does on the inside, you picked out a beauty! The engine's wear profile suggests all is well with the mechanical parts inside this engine. Universal averages show typical wear for an LS-3 after about 3,900 miles on the oil. Most wear metals are close to averages. Copper isn't, and it shows low wear at brass/bronze parts. That's great! Just note silicon is a bit high. It probably has a harmless source like sealer, but you could check for air intake leaks in case it's dirt. The viscosity is in the 5W/30 range, like it should be."

I think that I am just tweaking? what are all the metal bits in my oil filter then, is it just the filter doing its job??? everything sounds cherry in the report I really do trust them I attached a screenshot of the oil analysis form, feel free to look at it and let me know. lets hope its all good.
Id be happier than a pig in s&*$# with that report. But, I agree, the particulates you see are disturbing.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:10 AM   #10
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
This is good news. I am happy to have been wrong!
Old 04-23-2024, 06:57 AM   #11
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I'd question their findings. Especially after seeing that much metal in the filter. Maybe it was just a one time thing but I would be cautious. It probably was the filter catching that metal and didn't make into the oil because the pieces were so big. Definitely keep an eye on it and listen for any changes in the engine.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:55 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I'd question their findings. Especially after seeing that much metal in the filter. Maybe it was just a one time thing but I would be cautious. It probably was the filter catching that metal and didn't make into the oil because the pieces were so big. Definitely keep an eye on it and listen for any changes in the engine.
I agree with joe on this one. Keep an eye on it, and an ear out for any weird sounds. If the pieces in the filter were attracted to a magnet, then they are most likely "engine" components material, like maybe lifter material, cam lobe material, and not bearing material. Different metals between the bearings and engine components. Bronze bearing material is not magnetic.
Old 04-23-2024, 06:52 PM   #13
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
Shows how worthless a oil analysis can be.......
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:26 PM   #14
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Shows how worthless a oil analysis can be.......
I agree.

Your oil filter is obviously doing its job of catching the metal contaminates. So what is it you’re worried? Engines wear. It looks like aluminum. I’d have to say it’s probably filings from the block.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote