Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-14-2018, 02:36 AM   #1
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Weird ergonomics of Camaro interior?

After 500 miles, something is just really sticking out to me about the interior.
Now, I love the materials, it feels premium even in my 1SS trim. I like the screen, the HVAC controls, the air vents, the wheel, and guages are great.

But I feel like the window controls, the drive mode selector, and parking brake, are too far back. Like very noticeably.

If I want to use the window controls, I have to consciously move my left elbow backwards, awkwardly, and it feels like there isn't enough room to get in there and use the window buttons. Same thing with the stuff in the center console.

It's really annoying. Still love the car, but how did they miss this? Or is there some larger ergonomic issue at stake here, that they had to make that sacrifice?

I've never been in a car ever, where this has happened.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #2
Bigdog9586

Drives: 2016 Z06 coupe
The stupidest engineering feat I’ve found on the Camaro is the wireless charger way back out of reach and mostly flat. One turn of a corner and you’ll be pulling over to the side of the road to dig it out from under a seat. But if you stop and think about it none of it matters since in GM’s lack of wisdom it don’t meet the wireless rules so for 99% of us it don’t work anyway.
Bigdog9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 05:36 AM   #3
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog9586 View Post
But if you stop and think about it none of it matters since in GM’s lack of wisdom it don’t meet the wireless rules so for 99% of us it don’t work anyway.
+1
I've tried 5 phones and nothing works on this charger. I now use it as a shelf to put my sunglasses on.
Magnum922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #4
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Form over function, I guess. Cars that look cool aren't usually the easiest to use.

Ever see someone trying to get out of a Lamborghini? It's comical.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
The car does look so cool- in every aspect- it is one of the best looking cars out there. But in terms of function, use of controls and visibility, even my 85 C4 is better.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought about the window controls. Very awkward indeed! That is really the only thing I have a complaint about so it's not much of an issue for me. I just have to contort my arm a little to reach my hand back enough to hit the buttons.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I can deal with the center console, but agree about the window buttons. The shorter you are the worse it is. Overall, not annoying enough to be a bother. The most important controls while driving are well positioned.

Last edited by torqueaddict; 03-14-2018 at 12:14 PM.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
The inner doors in general and the console as a whole seem like afterthoughts. Like they were forgotten during design and you had to monkey a bunch of shit in to fit. The window controls and pocket are too far back, (the pocket is pretty useless, I stick my phone in the pocket on my '14. In the '17 it's ... no). The console is another waste. The mode selection and ebrake and all that are fine, but rearward from there is just silliness.

None of it really detracts from my love of the car (Every time I get in or out I have to pause and mumble "god DAMN that's a sexy bitch), but it's moreso minor inconveniences.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Couldn't you just pull out the wireless charging pad and replace it with the cubby from the 1LS/1SS? Or is it more involved than that.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
oftenimitated

Drives: 2004 Honda Civic+2011 Camaro 2SS
I wish they would put the cupholders in front of the shifter
oftenimitated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
After 500 miles, something is just really sticking out to me about the interior.
Now, I love the materials, it feels premium even in my 1SS trim. I like the screen, the HVAC controls, the air vents, the wheel, and guages are great.

But I feel like the window controls, the drive mode selector, and parking brake, are too far back. Like very noticeably.

If I want to use the window controls, I have to consciously move my left elbow backwards, awkwardly, and it feels like there isn't enough room to get in there and use the window buttons. Same thing with the stuff in the center console.

It's really annoying. Still love the car, but how did they miss this? Or is there some larger ergonomic issue at stake here, that they had to make that sacrifice?

Premium materials? Cheap plastic everywhere. Top of dash is the worst. Our Honda Accord has much higher quality interior at almost half the cost.
Then there is the windshield fogging issue in humid conditions but for some reason I really like the car. I guess the sound, ride, handling and performance outweigh all the issues.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
Tenfive

Drives: 2017 1SS camaro ,2SS a 68 + 08 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
+1
I've tried 5 phones and nothing works on this charger. I now use it as a shelf to put my sunglasses on.
I do the same darn thing lmao .
Tenfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
I feel like the window controls, the drive mode selector, and parking brake, are too far back. Like very noticeably.

I’m a little surprised to see this...for my seating position, the window controls, drive mode, and parking brake fall right where I want them. No need to consciously move my arms rearward to reach them. I’m 5’11 and my seat is back a bit more than 3/4 full travel and seat back is almost fully reclined ( but not quite).

I do agree the center console compartment is awkward to open/access and not much room in there, but I can fit my iPhone 6 Plus or my Android LG V20 in there.

My biggest ergonomic gripe is lack of a grab bar on the passenger side and no coat hanger hook in back seat area. Why not?

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:32 PM   #14
GM Lifer

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS in Red Hot
My list of ergonomic gripes:

1. My right elbow falls not on the center console pad, but on the cup holders.

2. With my right elbow resting on the cup holders and my hand on the shifter, it's easy to unintentionally hit the drive mode button and change drive modes.

3. Just delete the back seat, for Pete's sake. I've been back there precisely once in nearly two years. The back of my driver's seat isn't even two inches away from the front of the back seat.

4. The super-high beltline makes using a drive-through ATM nearly impossible.

5. The USB ports in the center console are almost impossible to access while driving.

But DANG, does this car ever look good/drive great/sound awesome, which makes me not care too much about any of that stuff.
GM Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote