Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #1
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Under Hood Insulation Removal

So after doing a little googling I came to the conclusion that the insulation under the hood was most likely for sound deadening and to possibly smother a fire under the hood.

I have the LT4 blower installed on my 2016 Camaro SS, and I wanted to hear more blower whine. So I took the insulation out to see if I noticed a difference. The insulation is held in by just clips so it was a snap to get off and the sound difference was definitely noticeable. During normal acceleration around town you can hear the whine probably 50 percent more and under WOT you can hear it scream.

The only downside is I notice a slight uptick in IATs. Maybe five degrees or so. My guess is the roto fab intake doesn’t seal as well to the hood without the thin layer of insulation so I may cut out a piece to fasten to where the intake meets the hood.

Manage your expectations. I’m not talking about Hellcat levels of whine but if you have a blower installed you may want to give it a try.

-J-
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
This insulation is also protection for your hood paint. Large temp. changes over the next few years will cause problems. Maybe look into some thinner heat shield to line the underside of the hood.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #3
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
Yeah I thought about that too. I figure I can either wrap the hood later on or just get a new one. I read people on other forums didn’t have a problem with bubbling or discoloration after removing the insulation so I figured I’d roll the dice.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote