Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #43
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I wonder if the higher cornering forces of the ZL1 1LE are a factor. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #44
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
This is great news!

I am interested to know what the recommendation will be in the Camaro owners manual for ZL1 1LEs....because although all track-time Camaros called for 0 or 5-40 for the track...the ZL1 1LE specifically required 15W50...hmm
The literature linked in the first post says it will be used in all GM LT1 and LT4 engines. That includes Camaro SS & ZL1 w/ or w/o 1LE and CTS-V
Old 03-21-2018, 08:42 PM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
The literature linked in the first post says it will be used in all GM LT1 and LT4 engines. That includes Camaro SS & ZL1 w/ or w/o 1LE and CTS-V
Something made the LT4 in the ZL1 1LE be treated differently than in the standard model...maybe not specifically the cornering abilities, but higher loads in general?

This seems like a great Ask Al question....
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #46
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Something made the LT4 in the ZL1 1LE be treated differently than in the standard model...maybe not specifically the cornering abilities, but higher loads in general?

This seems like a great Ask Al question....
The oil galleries are pressurized via the oil pump. The 0.1g(ish) difference in cornering force between the Cars would have zero effect on oiling.

The variance on recommended oil specs between the LT4 wet sump Cars would indeed make for a good ask Al. Even different manuals for the SAME car offer different advice for break in procedure. It would take a little bit of leg work to compile all of the different GM official sources of advice for each car, and ask....wtf? Lol
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #47
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Well, Tadge said that they also have not finalized the oil recommendation for the C7 ZR1. It may simply be that they haven't completed testing on the ZL1 1LE and C7 ZR1 to be able to move from the 15W50.

It is not the additional lateral G that makes a difference. The difference is that with cars with more downforce (ZL1 1LE, ZR1) and more grip, you end up spending a lot more time on power (and full power), and a lot less time on brake (which is the airflow and no power period).

With better aero and grip you brake much later, you brake for shorter duration, you get back on gas sooner, you stay on full power longer. That simply means your heat profile goes up. Your engine and oil have less time to cool in between full power bursts.

Don't minimize it.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
Well, Tadge said that they also have not finalized the oil recommendation for the C7 ZR1. It may simply be that they haven't completed testing on the ZL1 1LE and C7 ZR1 to be able to move from the 15W50.

It is not the additional lateral G that makes a difference. The difference is that with cars with more downforce (ZL1 1LE, ZR1) and more grip, you end up spending a lot more time on power (and full power), and a lot less time on brake (which is the airflow and no power period).

With better aero and grip you brake much later, you brake for shorter duration, you get back on gas sooner, you stay on full power longer. That simply means your heat profile goes up. Your engine and oil have less time to cool in between full power bursts.

Don't minimize it.
This is what I was thinking, too.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #49
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post

Don't minimize it.

Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #50
Stocktastic

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
Seeing as we can’t get our hands on this stuff at the moment, does anyone know how it stacks up against Valvoline MST? I’ve seen several great UOAs on the MST.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #51
baron95

(I posted this by mistake on a dormant thread...repeating here....My experience today trying to get a dealership oil change with the new 0W40 oil)

I called the service manager last week. Told him I had an appointment for oil change and wanted the new Dexos2 0W40, and I understood those were not commonly available, so I'd be bringing my own oil.

He told me. "We have that oil in stock". I questioned him 3 times "Dexos2?", "The new one?", "Dexos2 0W40? "Not the old one Mobile 1 0W40 non Dexos2?" And he was unwavering - he had the oil no problems.

(I didn't believe him 100%, so I put 10L of Motul X-Clean Dexos2 5W40 in the front passenger foot well. I put on the service notes for the on-line appointment - "if Dexos2 0W40 not available, use customer supplied Dexos2 5W40")

Today I go in. I confirm with both tech and service manager. They say they have the oil. I said great. I'll wait then. They came back and said...."Well, it will take 3 hours, we need to go get the oil at a warehouse, we'll give you a lift home and pick you up". I said fine, while you wait for the oil, change my rear end fluid.

Five hours lates they called me and said car was all set. I said "great, so you had the Dexos 2 oil", then the y fessed up....."uh, oh, huh, no we only had the old one - so we had to use yours. We called GM and they said that oil is not out yet".

So that sucks, because my car prob sat there for 4 hours on a cold day, and the old oil prob did not flow completely out. On top of that, they claimed that all my oil (all 10L = 10.6 quarts) was needed.So my car is prob ovefilled by a full quart.

They didn't charge me for the oil change, but I ended up burning of my free oil changes, while supplying $90 worth of oil.

Very steep price to pay, just as a defensive move to establish my relationship with the dealer.

So, yes, that Dexos2 0W40 from GM was still a no show.

P.S. On a separate note, first thing they did was plug into my OBDII port and scan the car. I had a Bluetooth scanner plugged in (I leave it there for Harry's Lap times, etc). So they were asking me if that was a performance tuner Oooops.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #52
baron95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocktastic View Post
Seeing as we can’t get our hands on this stuff at the moment, does anyone know how it stacks up against Valvoline MST? I’ve seen several great UOAs on the MST.
I don't know about that, but I just changed to Motul 5W40 X-clean Dexos 2, and my oil pressure is running 5PSI higher at ˜210F than it was running on the factory fill 5W30. First thing I noticed when I got it back after oil change.

I didn't expect that, but that is what I'm getting - a nice bonus. (oil is full to the very top of the hash marks on the dipstick, possibly very slightly overfilled - not sure if that has any bearing on the higher PSI)

Anyone else notice slightly higher oil pressure after switching to higher weight oil?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:32 PM   #53
Stocktastic

Coming from a contact I have a a local GM dealer, the quart bottles are not available yet, but dealers have been instructed to order part number 19353135. It’s a 1L bottle, $6.97/ea on gmpartsdirect.com

I think I’m going to order one and make sure it’s the right stuff.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #54
Stocktastic

Confirmed with this dealer that part number 19353135 is the right stuff. They received a bulletin stating this is the factory fill on the LT1/LT4/LT5 and the current available bottle size is 1 Liter. It’s $11.32 list price. Can be had online for much less.

Camaro SS takes 9.5L.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #55
Stocktastic

Old 04-05-2018, 08:41 PM   #56
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocktastic View Post

So where did ya get it