Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 12-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #15
Uncle Sam

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE Hyper Blue
Not an expert but the 3 year residual on most average cars is around 50-55%. Most depreciation is in the first year - 20% or more.

The retail on a 2017 SS 1LE in 2020 should be around $25K and the wholesale just under $18K.

A $70K ZL1 - 3 years - $35K retail.

But ... if you have an extremely limited and desirable model it may hold its percentage of value at a higher rate, especially if it is discontinued after two years or so.

Or you buy a Porsche GT3 RS and drive for free!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #16
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
Not an expert but the 3 year residual on most average cars is around 50-55%. Most depreciation is in the first year - 20% or more.

The retail on a 2017 SS 1LE in 2020 should be around $25K and the wholesale just under $18K.

But ... if you have an extremely limited and desirable model it may hold its percentage of value at a higher rate, especially if it is discontinued after two years or so.

I would love to see data on this over the past 20 years. Depreciation in the first year has to be higher than it used to be. Its really out of hand. It will come to a crashing halt someday

Ive never seen people trade new for like they do now aways too. Just this fourm alone it seems like every couple of days someone is trying to trade a very low mile year old car on a new whatever. Craziness
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
edjtyer

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 1SS Manual
Here is a sad truth. More lightly optioned cars hold their resale better. In effect the 70k MSRP Camaros resale gets pulled down by the existence of sub 40k SS Camaros and even sub 30k V6s. If you want a better resale and you want to spend 70k you would be much better off in a Corvette. So if resale is your thing get a 1SS. You can be OTD about 35k with discounts and the car will return in 1 to 2 years a much higher percent of of it's value.
The only exception to this rule would be twenty years down the rode in a collector car situation. At that point the more highly optioned cars began to return a higher value.
Hope this helps.
And use Carmax
edjtyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #18
Chub2000

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1 , 2007 porsche GT3,
I buy a new ford raptor every six months and it costs me nothing because the wholesale value is higher than msrp.
Chub2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
Let's be real here...if you buy new and aren't paying cash you better be in it for the long haul. The simple fact is you will lose a good percentage the minute you drive off the lot...and if you are paying interest on the loan you are not knocking down the principle that quick. Hold on to it and enjoy the car you fell in love with. If you have to jump to the latest and greatest every year or 2 I hope you have a good job and don't mind watching the money go away.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:24 PM   #20
mggeyer

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss 1le
Ill make you feel better about the resale value. Used to race and instruct. Sold the race car / pennies on the dollars invested , still instruct some, bought a 2017 SS1LE took it to the track to instruct and ran in the instructor group. Porsche GT3s , 911 Turbos, Fully gutted Bmw m3 track car etc. Waxed all of them in my SS 1LE, knowing what I paid for it brand new compared to the cars that I passed I laughed all the way home. Dont sell it, enjoy it for what it is , the GREATEST performance bargain out there!! Great looking car that hauls ass handles unbelievable well , forgiving to drive. Yeah the cocktail party group will talk horsepower at the parties but people who know realize this IS a badazz trackcar. After the event , got in the car drove home not a squeak or a creak, absolutely fantastic!! Ive been doing this a LONG time, believe me when I tell you, work on you driving skills because if you can get close to driving one of these cars near its limits you will be waxing just about anything out there at a fraction of the cost. I absolutely LOVE this car. It is extremely capable. That is value!!!
mggeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #21
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post

A hard to get car like an RS would not be free, you will have to pay over sticker price to get one unless you have some special connection.

The easiest way to keep your money is to buy something 15-20 years old that has finished depreciating.

Also there are some people who get a G63 every 6 months like the guy above with the Raptors. Don't know of any sportscars that you can do that with though.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #22
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mggeyer View Post
Ill make you feel better about the resale value. Used to race and instruct. Sold the race car / pennies on the dollars invested , still instruct some, bought a 2017 SS1LE took it to the track to instruct and ran in the instructor group. Porsche GT3s , 911 Turbos, Fully gutted Bmw m3 track car etc. Waxed all of them in my SS 1LE, knowing what I paid for it brand new compared to the cars that I passed I laughed all the way home. Dont sell it, enjoy it for what it is , the GREATEST performance bargain out there!! Great looking car that hauls ass handles unbelievable well , forgiving to drive. Yeah the cocktail party group will talk horsepower at the parties but people who know realize this IS a badazz trackcar. After the event , got in the car drove home not a squeak or a creak, absolutely fantastic!! Ive been doing this a LONG time, believe me when I tell you, work on you driving skills because if you can get close to driving one of these cars near its limits you will be waxing just about anything out there at a fraction of the cost. I absolutely LOVE this car. It is extremely capable. That is value!!!
Agreed.1LE's have never held any value from a resale standpoint, You can pick up a used gen 6 with PDR for mid thirties. No better performance car made at the price point respective to lap times at any track. Think Spec E46 on steroids.. just as balanced and fun to drive.

Last edited by LateBrakeU2; 12-31-2017 at 04:17 PM.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:37 PM   #23
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
This!

I would not pay more than $33K for a used 1LE at this point, and I am pretty sure I could find a few at that price.
I got a great deal at 41k otd for new 2018 1LE PDR. Good luck finding one new at 33k... lol
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #24
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
I would not pay more than $33K for a used 1LE at this point, and I am pretty sure I could find a few at that price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
Agreed.1LE's have never held any value form a resale standpoint, You can pick up a used gen 6 with PDR for mid thirties.
This might be absolutely true for where you live, but the price rises increasingly when the supply does not meet the demand. Someone actually bought a '17 SS 1LE from a Maseratti dealer for $33K, and even that person acknowledged that he essential stole it and the dealer didn't know what they had and sold it as a base 1SS. Up in the North East, these cars go for $38K+ used. One dealer in NJ sold one for over $40K, another keeps raising the price due to demand. Location plays a major role.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM   #25
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Tomorrow is a new year and I bet he hasn't met his sales numbers then.

Can't believe he actually said that to a prior customer.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #26
R.C. Collins

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chub2000 View Post
Lets just say those are bait and switch offers...
I think your one sheet just proved my point. You CAN purchase a new ZL1 1LE for under $70k. Hell, there are forum members who've done so.
R.C. Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I got a great deal at 41k otd for new 2018 1LE PDR. Good luck finding one new at 33k... lol
LOL? You do see I said "used" right? Take your time when you read things. Congrats on your new '18 BTW, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #28
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
This might be absolutely true for where you live, but the price rises increasingly when the supply does not meet the demand. Someone actually bought a '17 SS 1LE from a Maseratti dealer for $33K, and even that person acknowledged that he essential stole it and the dealer didn't know what they had and sold it as a base 1SS. Up in the North East, these cars go for $38K+ used. One dealer in NJ sold one for over $40K, another keeps raising the price due to demand. Location plays a major role.
Absolutely!! Nothing wrong with getting a car properly transported to take advantage of some location arbitrage.