Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-15-2017, 10:52 PM   #1
Flash144

Drives: Drop Top SS
Borla Exhaust Installed!

Well, over the weekend I was able to get my new Borla Type S installed. Now the first complaint I have is the packing. I had a hard time opening the box, it was taped extremely good, to the point that nothing was getting in or out of the box. After getting the box open, I had to really struggle to find the mufflers. They were packed in all sorts of this foam stuff, and the muffler tips had some cardboard stuff protecting the tips from any damage. It took me a good 30 seconds to have to remove all of that crap. The mufflers were in perfect condition, not sure why Borla would spend so much money on packing them so good, maybe why that's why the price is so high on these bad boys.

Ok, so I got them installed at my local muffler shop and I've never felt so violated in my life. The workers there were drooling and telling me how sexy they look, and how they wish they had some really long shiny pipes like these. I mean, I really felt like these mufflers were just a piece of meat for them, you know another notch on their installers belt. Yuck.

Next I started it up, and wow, finally payday, they sounded AMAZING. I mean one thing Borla got right, was just the perfect sound, and it was at that moment I started to realize the start of the problem. The next day after starting my car I noticed it. Yes I know you wont believe this, but the fuel gauge was MUCH MUCH lower then the day before. I thought that maybe I was just unsure of the level that the fuel gauge was the other day. So low and behold I went to the gas station and filled her to the rim.

This was on the weekend so I don't normally commute this car. However for testing reasons I went ahead and drove the car. The next day there it was again. The fuel gauge was LOWER then it normally would be. I click through the menus to the fuel consumption and avg mile per gallon stat, and noticed I was getting 4-8 mpg LOWER then I did for the last 3 months! This thing was just eating gas like a pig!

I know what you are thinking and this was the same thing I thought at first, that the Muffler was sitting WAY to close to the gas tank under the car, and that the heat from the mufflers were probably warming up the fuel and WA LA! Heat was causing the fuel to burn quicker, or condensate out of the vehicle, makes perfect sense right? Well after going to my local Big Lots, I was able to find a bunch of heat shields that are normally made for BBQ's. I used high quality duct tape and put about 3" of heat shielding between the mufflers and the gas tank. I drove it around for the week and sure enough, it didn't fix the problem. So cross that one off the list.

Next thought was because the mufflers had that oh sweet sound, that the perfect growl the car had was resonating on the EXACT frequency that the bolts on the hose clamps took, and that they were actually loosing them up with the perfect harmony that was being caused by the exhaust sound, so I spent the better part of the weekend checking every hose, and every clamp including using JB weld the block off the gas tank's fuel over flow valve off the filler. Same thing, no change, I'm getting this super bad gas mileage day after day.

Final end of the story, if you love the way a good exhaust system, sounds, looks and performs then Borla is for you. If you love great gas mileage, well hopefully you can find this problem out for me. I'm sure a few other members were suffering this when they first got the system.

**** Please Read ****

The above story is slightly true. However it is mostly a work of fiction. My gas mileage problem was due to me enjoying the system and sounds so much that I literally did so much "Spirited" driving. The smile this thing has put on my face is worth 2x what I paid for the system. Also to all the haters of the tail pipe choice, you can keep your opinions to yourself. Yes I know you can get a blacked out inner section, but this one looks amazing to me. I know David Borla took his time to post up on the boards, and listens to all the owners/members which is really cool, so a quick thank you to him for taking the time out of his day to even care.

If this was Youtube, I would just say that if you read this, you are now a victim of "Click Bait". Hey it happens, at least I didn't "Rick Roll" you.

Once again, this was a "JOKE"!!!!! Intended solely for your pleasure.... or mine.

Name:  IMG_6078.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  296.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6103.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  272.0 KB

Last edited by Flash144; 11-16-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: People Don't Understand Jokes On The Internet.
Flash144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
WOW, one of the best post in this forum. Keep it up.
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
You got me! Good story!!! Any sound clips?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Well played sir. I remember the first time starting up my Mustang after getting the Borla's installed. Was easily the best money I spent on my car, love the sound borla makes.

Those tips are not my cup of tea though, glad you like em but yuck
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash144 View Post
If this was Youtube, I would just say that if you read this, you are now a victim of "Click Bait". Hey it happens, at least I didn't "Rick Roll" you.

Once again, this was a "JOKE"!!!!! Intended solely for your pleasure.... or mine.
If your huge pictures had fit on my screen, I might have read the text.

Thanks for leaving them huge, saved me some time I would never get back.

Norm
Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
tips stick out too far
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
tips stick out too far
Yep. And terribly ugly. If thats the look OP was going for, could have saved some money and went to Autozone.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Yep. And terribly ugly. If thats the look OP was going for, could have saved some money and went to Autozone.
Glad I wasn't the only one lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Sheesh... why are people so intent on creating drama where none exists?
Thread titles generally set the tone for what follows, and in this case the original thread title was decidedly hostile toward a vendor. That's fertile ground for drama, set by OP . . . I'm a little surprised OP got off with only mild flame.

Norm
Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
franksredhot

Drives: 2016 Red Hot Camaro 1SS A8
I agree the tips are out too far. Same thing happened to me and it is because the Borla instructions do not properly explain where to cut your pipes. When the tips were out like that I had vibrations that were annoying as hell. If that's an axle back loosen up the clamps and see if you can wiggle the system farther in. In my case I had to cut almost one inch off of one of my pipes to get it in.
franksredhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:28 PM   #11
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Congrats! Looks nice but the Tips stick out too far.
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #12
vtwin996

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by franksredhot View Post
I agree the tips are out too far. Same thing happened to me and it is because the Borla instructions do not properly explain where to cut your pipes. When the tips were out like that I had vibrations that were annoying as hell. If that's an axle back loosen up the clamps and see if you can wiggle the system farther in. In my case I had to cut almost one inch off of one of my pipes to get it in.
I cut per Borla instructions, and then also cut 1 inch more on both pipes..

vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #13
Flash144

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
You got me! Good story!!! Any sound clips?

Working on it, hopefully tomorrow. I don't really like a lot of the sound clips on the internet, due to microphones, just doesn't do a good exhaust justice. I've got a few high end Mic's that I will toy around with to see what better correlates the exhaust.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #14
Flash144

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin996 View Post
I cut per Borla instructions, and then also cut 1 inch more on both pipes..

That looks great, I'm going to look into getting these to tuck under a little better. Thanks for the pics.