Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-20-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Squealing brakes

Wondering if it's normal or if anyone has quick or an easy fix for sqealing brakes. They are the brembos and my car has about 17000 miles on it. They squeal on a light brake and I can stop the squealing by applying the brake harder. Some days are worse than others. It's more annoying than anything. Any ideas why or how to fix it?
Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
p3jason
Allergic to stupid.

Drives: 2015 ZL1 #957 M6 AGM & 1990 Z24
Send a message via Yahoo to p3jason
Nature of the beast. Not at all uncommon.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #3
Gayton81

Drives: 2012 2SSRS
Swap to Hawk performance or EBC red pads and you'll be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
I think it's time you really break them in by doing 60-0 stops at every single light

~I am not personally responsible for OP's actions

Seriously though, it's normal, but the OEM pads aren't -that- bad to some of the equivalent performing brake pads.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Just did my brakes.....squelling was driving me nuts....local auto parts only offered semi metallic fronts with ceramic rears. Works great no more trouble.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
There is a Chevy Service Bulletin for the SS Brembo Brakes:

Service Bulletin No.: PIC5590A

Date: April, 2013
PRELIMINARY INFORMATION
Subject: Normal Characteristic - Front Or Rear Brake Noise On Slow Stops
Models: 2010 - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Equipped with Brembo Brakes
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment that when they apply the brakes, the vehicle exhibits a squeal noise. This squeal
noise may be heard coming from the front or rear brakes and typically heard during slow stops. Replacing the pads
will only correct the concern for a short time until the pads glaze over again. Burnishing the pads will also provide
temporary relief. Pad replacement should only occur when normal wear conditions or physical damage require it.
Do not replace the pads for noise only concerns.
Recommendation/Instructions
Note: For all brake noise issues refer to the latest version of 00-05-22-002: Disc Brake Warranty Service and
Procedures.
Note: Reference the latest version of 10-05-23-002 for 2010 models that meet the list of applicable models/
breakpoints within that document.
Brake Noise
Some brake noise is normal and differences in loading, type of driving, or driving style can make a difference in
brake wear on the same make and model. Depending on weather conditions, driving patterns and the local
environment, brake noise may become more or less apparent. Verify all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads,
pad guides, caliper and knuckles are clean. Brake noise is caused by a “slip-stick” vibration of brake components.
While intermittent brake noise may be normal, performing 3 to 4 aggressive stops may temporarily reduce or
eliminate most brake squeal.
The following noises are characteristics of all braking systems and are unavoidable. They may not indicate improper
operation of the brake system.
Squeak/Squeal Noise:
• Occurs with front semi-metallic brake pads at medium speeds when light to medium pressure is applied to the
brake pedal.
• Occasionally a noise may occur on rear brakes during the first few stops or with cold brakes and/or high
humidity.
Grinding Noise:
• Common to rear brakes and some front disc brakes during initial stops after the vehicle has been parked
overnight.
• Caused by corrosion on the metal surfaces during vehicle non-use. Usually disappears after a few stops.
Groan Noise:
• A groan type noise may be heard when stopping quickly or moving forward slowly from a complete stop. This is
normal. On vehicles equipped with ABS, a groan or moan type noise during hard braking applications or loose
gravel, wet or icy road conditions is a normal function of the ABS activation.
Customer Information
Please communicate to the customer that these conditions are normal operating characteristics of their vehicle.
They will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the
customer, including a copy of this message.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is
resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 07-20-2016 at 10:11 PM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
A set of TRW's worked for me.

https://www.amazon.com/TRW-TPC1474-P...=trw+brake+pad
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 PM   #8
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
If it includes a roller skate count me out
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:18 AM   #9
2010_camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Get use to it.

https://www.instagram.com/whoopa_ss/
2010_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #10
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Look into "Powerstop Evolution Z17" I used these and I'm very happy so far. I'm about 2K in with them and no issues. They're not the most expensive out there, but they're not the cheapest, around $100 for all wheels. They're ceramic pads and the fronts pads have the "skates" on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #11
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's not a malfunction, and it may go away eventually. I have 50,000 and have trouble remembering when the brakes stopped squealing, but in fact they did.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:41 AM   #12
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
I have a 2LT RS with non Brembo brakes; mine does it too. As the above bulletin and several members have stated: it's a normal condition. Burnishing the pads will make it go away temporarily, but it's just a normal characteristic. Hawk pads seem to be quiet from what I've read in other posts. I just ignore it.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:20 AM   #13
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
running full ceramics on mine. squealing happened all the time unless warmed up. OP didn't say what type of pads hes running.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #14
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I bought a new brake kit from Rockauto. I'll report back with how well they do later in the week. Price wasn't too bad at all (Stoptech).

Tags
brakes, brembo brakes, noisy, squealing