Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Another "do I trade up" thread...

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move accordingly.

TL;DR = Getting frustrated trying to mod my 2010 SS, should I trade it for a ZL1

Full Story
I'm still dealing with issues in the suspension (that now seem to have found their way into the rear drive line) has me seriously debating the next step with Bee. After multiple conversations with friends in the local Camaro Club, and discussing things with my wife, I am thinking of trading in Bee. Some of the cars I've considered are the ZL1, a BMW M3, a Ford Raptor, and even possibly an Aston Martin.

Don't get me wrong I love Bee, but I fear that in my attempt to "make it mine" I overstepped my abilities and have created a money pit. If this wasn't my daily driver I would be in a completely different situation, but the fact remains that I depend on my car to get to work and I can't continue taking the car apart so often trying to chase issues.

With that being said, I've started looking at the pros and cons of keeping Bee.
Pros:
  • Less than two years left of payments
  • Once Bee is paid off I can get a 2nd car for commuting purposes
  • Pride of doing a lot of work myself
  • Just put new tires on
  • Just put a bunch of money into upgrading the stereo
  • The styling (stripes, front end, etc) is just about where I want it.
  • License plates are cheap now that it's older

Cons:
  • Suspension is still "off" - don't know what the problem is, but I fear it will lead to a lot of money
  • It needs new brakes soon
  • Just passed 54k miles
  • Car is starting to show it's age (dings, chips, scratches).
  • There is a lot more money yet to put into it to get the engine/performance where I ultimately want it and not everything I will try will work which will lead me to spend more money.
  • Like I said above, this is my daily driver and I can't really continue chasing suspension gremlins.

I have over $11k invested in the car so far and I forecast another ~$20k to get it where I want it. I still want to install a supercharger, cam (and associated internals), big-brake upgrade, 3.91 gears, clutch, drive shaft, axles. In the end, I hope to have a very trackable car that can/will beat cars like the Z28. However, if I trade it for a new ZL1 I would regain the factory warranty, get several of the planned upgrades out of the way (and a few others that were previously cost prohibitive like magnetic ride control and Recaro seats)

Some of the big considerations in my decision:
  • Bee is approaching that point where maintenance starts to become a factor (coolant, transmission, brakes, shocks/struts, etc).
  • Wife wants me to trade it (mostly because she's tired of me talking about the latest round of issues I'm working through) - Happy wife = happy life
  • De-modding the car will be a pain in the ass, but could possibly transfer some of the parts to a ZL1 if I go that route or just sell them off.
  • Anything I trade it for won't be Bee. It's is my car. I have logged all but ~200 miles with it. I love the car and I keep feeling like I am only one thing away from getting it fixed and able to drive how I want it.

To look at the financial side of things.
To keep Bee:
$15k left in payments.
+$20K left in upgrades
+$5k trial & error costs
=$40k for the car I want.

If I went with a ZL1, it would have to have Recaro seats so I'm looking for at least a 2014 or newer (which unfortunately means those stupid tail lights).

$55k (best case scenario, assuming I find one without all the extras)
-$8k trade in
+$6600 interest from financing
+$1200 new tires (I need all-seasons to drive it year round)
-$3800 de-modding Bee (pure estimate of ~$5,000 of "recoverable" parts x 75%)
=$51k for a car close to what I want (plus who knows how much in mods to finish it).

The other thought I had was to just stick things out with Bee until the 2016's are revealed. At this point, I just don't know what to do. Thoughts and opinions appreciated, but please elaborate as to why you would go one way or the other.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
I'd wait for the '16 model...then again, I'm not looking to get anything else anytime soon. Unless it's the C7 Z06
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
You should keep what you have, you wouldn't want to be seen in a car with "those stupid tail lights".
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Supercharge and mod your car further... not worth the extra $$ for the trade especially if you don't fully like the car...
Old 09-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Get a ZL1. You will be starting with a much stouter platform if you feel the need to mod it. Suspension, brakes, drivetrain are all upgraded. My Z is my only car and is daily driven plus it goes to the drag strip almost every week. 38,000 miles so far. I'm over 650 whp too.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
I didn't read it all but get a m4. Not a m3. And pull out all your mods and sell them to help out with the down payment on an m4
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
oustaz

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, please move accordingly.

If I went with a ZL1, it would have to have Recaro seats so I'm looking for at least a 2014 or newer (which unfortunately means those stupid tail lights).
Hahaha get a 2013 zl1 if you can't wait for the 6th gen
oustaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oustaz View Post
Hahaha get a 2013 zl1 if you can't wait for the 6th gen
But the '13s don't have the Recaros.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #9
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Wait for the 16? It's literally around the corner.

Or get an Aston Martin. You can't go wrong with that.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
But the '13s don't have the Recaros.
That's a plus, IMO.

You need to quit monkeying with your car if you don't know how to do certain things. Take it to a good shop and them fix it - bite the bullet. Then keep it 'til it's paid off and trade it in for whatever you want. The 16s will be out by then. Not sure a ZL1 would suit your DD requirements.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Don't trade in for a 13-15 and regret it later if the 6th gen is better

Of course with the exhaust muffler not being dual I think I'll be disappointed in it
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
I would fix what issues you have now, keep the car and when it is paid off in two years, you can re-evaluate. You may like the '16 better.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
That's a plus, IMO.

You need to quit monkeying with your car if you don't know how to do certain things. Take it to a good shop and them fix it - bite the bullet. Then keep it 'til it's paid off and trade it in for whatever you want. The 16s will be out by then. Not sure a ZL1 would suit your DD requirements.
Took it to a shop last week. They fixed it and it only took a week before things were rattling again. At this point I genuinely believe something is bent/broken that will continue to cause things to fail until I replace the whole cradle assembly...

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
I'd get the new Z and see if they'll swap out the tail lights with your current car.
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote