Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Jbaker901atu

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Need help with new camaro

Recently purchased a 2011 v6 camaro standard from a dealer. Has 45k miles. Noticed a very subtle but rapid low pitched knocking. Soundo like it's coming from the glove box area of passenger side and almost impossible to hear outside of the car, you really need to be in cabin. I don't hear it when I accelerate and It doesn't matter in the ac/heater is on or not. Did the old screwdriver to block trick and didn't hear any enhancement. Still owe 10k. On it so I'm freakin out a little. Still under powertrain warranty for a year. Took to local mechanic, saud he thinks its exhaust or catalytic. Also, its on and off, must be quiet to hear it.Thank you.
Jbaker901atu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #2
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
I don't know if this is your case or not. Last month I replaced the air cabin filter and I heard a rattle coming in the area of my glove department. Sounded like it was vibrating on the windshield. You could barely hear it as well but was there. I took of the cover and reinstalled it and the sound was gone. Like I said don't know if your noise is the same as mine but worth a try.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 PM   #3
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
I recently installed lowering springs and had a "rotational knocking" at slow speeds, especially under braking. It turned out to be a missing caliper bolt from my front right caliper. I'd hesitate to believe a DEALER would miss this... but its one cause for a knock at low speed
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #4
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1350 View Post
I don't know if this is your case or not. Last month I replaced the air cabin filter and I heard a rattle coming in the area of my glove department. Sounded like it was vibrating on the windshield. You could barely hear it as well but was there. I took of the cover and reinstalled it and the sound was gone. Like I said don't know if your noise is the same as mine but worth a try.
My "rattle on the windshield" was the cover to my rearview mirror. I took the plastic cover off and haven't had an issue since. Before I figured out that that was the issue, I thought I had a blown passenger door speaker or something.
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaker901atu View Post
Recently purchased a 2011 v6 camaro standard from a dealer. Has 45k miles. Noticed a very subtle but rapid low pitched knocking. Soundo like it's coming from the glove box area of passenger side and almost impossible to hear outside of the car, you really need to be in cabin. I don't hear it when I accelerate and It doesn't matter in the ac/heater is on or not. Did the old screwdriver to block trick and didn't hear any enhancement. Still owe 10k. On it so I'm freakin out a little. Still under powertrain warranty for a year. Took to local mechanic, saud he thinks its exhaust or catalytic. Also, its on and off, must be quiet to hear it.Thank you.
More information is needed. You said your car is "standard" which I assume you mean to say it's a manual transmission?

Is the noise present when the car is moving? Stopped? Both?

Do you notice a difference with the clutch in, versus the clutch out?

Your mechanic said it could be "exhaust" or "catalytic" --neither of which are moving parts and would probably indicate a nuisance rattle underneath the car. Are you able to climb underneath of it and see if there's some kind of damage/loose parts/things that look out of place?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, engine noise, troubleshooting