Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I still think a continuously variable transmission (CVT) could be superior to everything if they could just make them reliable. I think everybody except Nissan has abandoned them.

they are much lighter and smaller and cheaper... and infinite gearing is better than having gears. now it does sound funny when you stomp on it and it just stays pegged at 3k rpm.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I still think a continuously variable transmission (CVT) could be superior to everything if they could just make them reliable. I think everybody except Nissan has abandoned them.

they are much lighter and smaller and cheaper... and infinite gearing is better than having gears. now it does sound funny when you stomp on it and it just stays pegged at 3k rpm.
I agree for passenger cars, but they just haven't been able to develop one that can handle the high torque some of the modern engines are producing.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #17
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Subaru makes a great CVT though I think it's only mated to their 2.5 liter H4.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #18
98GTcoupe

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Id like to see a swap kit made available for L99 Camaros so we an fit them with that 8speed!
2006 GTO, R.I.P.
1981 Z28(sold)
98GTcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Upgraded V6... upgraded V8s... Cadillac platform... 8 speed autos... at what point would all this stuff result in the Camaro becoming a much more expensive car?

Just askin'

Of course, I want all these improvements as much as the rest of you, but seriously the Camaro right now is one of the very few 'good value' vehicles (i.e., in terms of bang for the buck) in GM's entire lineup. Are we looking at the end of an era... and a Camaro starting north of $28K or something?
It will remain a good value. But getting a $25,000 Camaro becomes increasing more difficult.

Quote:
"Juechter confirmed the transmission will find its way into other applications, even though it’s design was influenced solely by the Z06 project."
The mainstream 8 speed is already in the Alpha platform. The Z06 just gets the mac daddy for high output capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
My only question is, will they continue using this 8-speed when the new F/GM 9 and 10-speeds hit the market?

I ask because millions have been spent developing these. So why not use the latest and possible more efficient/ effective trans?
Likely the 8 speed will be the 6 speed of tomorrow and you'll see the 9 and 10 where it makes a difference. Luxury cars? Trucks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I don't get it. There is a law of diminishing returns with adding gears on a transmission.

At some point, the lag of having to constantly shift will diminish the increased acceleration provided by the closer gear ratio.

The constant shifting will diminish the ride comfort and make it annoying. I can't stand overly-shifty automatics.

With every gear you add, you add another point of failure.

We are approaching the point of putting in less efficient, less comfortable, less reliable, more expensive transmissions in vehicles just for the sake of marketing more "speeds." It doesn't make sense. 6 gears is the sweet spot, IMO. It allows a tight ratio with a large overdrive and an aggressive first gear. Adding more is fruitless and annoying to deal with.

One of the biggest downsides of the internal combustion engine is that it makes its power in a very narrow range and requires a transmission. This was its Achilles Heel a century ago when it was competing against electric and steam motors. The goal of any engineer should be to make a vehicle function at maximum potential using as few gears as possible. This is how you define drivetrain efficiency. They're just dumping gears in there because a bigger number advertised looks more impressive just like camera manufacturers dump larger MP numbers on their cameras for marketing with no regard to lens or sensor quality.
First, this isn't marketing ploy for the number of speeds. Second not sure what you are driving but most cars today you can only tell the transmission shifted if you watch the tach. Yes they are smooth. And more gear sets will not impact reliability in the least. They will pass and meet the same requirements.

As an engineer, you overstated the task. It is simply make the vehicle operate at it's most efficient level. Period. Why should I be restricted to as few gears as possible? 2 or 3 more gears provides much more latitude in balancing performance, economy and drivability.

Don't fear the gears.

Quote:

I hate driving a snowmobile. Never liked it. Glad GM's attempts in Saturn didn't work out. But that's just me. Just never took a liking to them.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #20
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
I like the idea of the 8speed...room for clutch material is in question though...as to that limiting torque holding. Dodge is doing it though.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
98GTcoupe

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
I love the 7speed Auto in my wifes G37 coupe, amazing little car.
2006 GTO, R.I.P.
1981 Z28(sold)
98GTcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #22
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Upgraded V6... upgraded V8s... Cadillac platform... 8 speed autos... at what point would all this stuff result in the Camaro becoming a much more expensive car?

Just askin'

Of course, I want all these improvements as much as the rest of you, but seriously the Camaro right now is one of the very few 'good value' vehicles (i.e., in terms of bang for the buck) in GM's entire lineup. Are we looking at the end of an era... and a Camaro starting north of $28K or something?
But all the "upgrades" you just mentioned are not really just things the nice and expensive cars get. ALL of GMs stuff is getting this stuff, either currently or in the future. That's just how it is. If they want to keep up, and meet stricter economy demands, and still have powerful engines this is what must be done.

Camaro will still remain a relatively inexpensive option compared to other sports cars that provide similar performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I don't get it. There is a law of diminishing returns with adding gears on a transmission.

At some point, the lag of having to constantly shift will diminish the increased acceleration provided by the closer gear ratio.

The constant shifting will diminish the ride comfort and make it annoying. I can't stand overly-shifty automatics.

With every gear you add, you add another point of failure.

We are approaching the point of putting in less efficient, less comfortable, less reliable, more expensive transmissions in vehicles just for the sake of marketing more "speeds." It doesn't make sense. 6 gears is the sweet spot, IMO. It allows a tight ratio with a large overdrive and an aggressive first gear. Adding more is fruitless and annoying to deal with.

One of the biggest downsides of the internal combustion engine is that it makes its power in a very narrow range and requires a transmission. This was its Achilles Heel a century ago when it was competing against electric and steam motors. The goal of any engineer should be to make a vehicle function at maximum potential using as few gears as possible. This is how you define drivetrain efficiency. They're just dumping gears in there because a bigger number advertised looks more impressive just like camera manufacturers dump larger MP numbers on their cameras for marketing with no regard to lens or sensor quality.
Sorry, but I think a large part of your logic here is way off. Yes...using too many gears un-effectively or inefficiently could be a bad thing, but we have these fancy things these days called computers. These transmissions will be smarter, able to skip gears when needed, or use them all if needed. It also gives the car more options to use the optimal gear for a combination of torque and efficiency. Sport mode could use only 5 or 6 gears while regular drive may use all 8.

Now...I'm with you that on the point of not liking overly shifty and confused acting transmissions, but done right these can be a good thing. I think the 6 speed auto in my Camaro is freaking wonderful, and honestly I'd hate it if the next version had an 8 speed and it never knew which gear to use but I have faith it won't turn out that way. What I'd like to see, is another regular drive, sport drive, and manual, but maybe in the manual they only let you use 6 gears, instead of 8??

As far as straight line performance, well I don't know how many gears are too many, but Dodge/Chrysler has proven easily that 8 speeds can out run 5 (I think they had 5 before in their sedans....or was it 6?)
Old 05-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #23
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Yeah KMPrenger, they had 5 speed autos.

Personally I think the new 8 speed will be a phenomenal transmission, especially since the 7 speed Tremec has already been shown to be more than amazing. As someone mentioned a 7 speed infiniti already, and having driven a 7 speed Mercedes, they are not "overly shifty". Spot on every shift, very smooth when cruising but man, they shoot off when you want them to. And the addition gear in a 7 speed auto over a 6 speed auto lets you run either 2 overdrives or an additional acceleration gear... The 2015 Corvette with the 8 speed will be ridiculously fast with a high rpm cam.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #24
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Assuming the 6th-gen car gets the LT1 and eight speed auto, do you think that means the Camaro will also get the seven speed manual?
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
OverZeaLouS

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS & 16 acura TLX
Everything that Chevy is going to do sounds expensive, but it's really not if you look at it. Chevy always gives you what you need in a vehicle, but usually, the overall tech behind American cars is a few years behind Germans and Japanese. Once American companies get there hands on certain types of tech. It's been done already for a while.

Ex: BMW and Nissan sports cars have been implementing carbon fiber since 2007. A costly venture for both companies.
Chevy is using carbon fiber in standard vette components now. Though 7 years late to the game. Chevy doesn't outsource carbon fiber parts. The make their own CF parts. This brings the savings to the customer.
This will push other companies to follow suit if they want to compete. Chevy thought out of the box to give you more for less. But to do that, they sacrifice being in the forefront of technology.

Also... Nissan DCT is very expensive and cutting edge. Chevy's 8 speed auto will "hopefully"be revolutionary in performance but it is tactically evolutionary by design, thus saving DCT costs while still offering the performance.

These are ways Chevy can give u more without you feeling it in your wallet.

Lastly, by the time Chevy sees the alpha, Cadillac would have recooped it's R&D money +profit on the platform. When Chevy starts using it, the alpha will be at a lower cost of production. (Unless we enter another fiscal crisis)
OverZeaLouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you look at the max speeds in each gear for most the 6 speed and 8 speed automatics out there, there is very little difference in shift speeds/rpms in the lower gears.
You also hit your top speed in usually 5/6 gear and 7th and 8th are just overdrive gearing not even used in a top speed run.

The biggest difference is you'll get lower rpms in the high gears and that will increase gas mileage (that's really what it's all about).

All I know is I don't like the current tap shifts on the Camaro. That's something that needs major improvements.

Guys that try to race (tap shifting) their L99 A6s know how hard that 1-2 shift is at WOT because it comes on so fast. 1st gear redlines at 40 mph in the L99s so you have to hit the tap shift around 35mph to prevent bouncing off the rev limiter.
It would be counter productive if the Auto Camaro SS had to shift any earlier than the current setup on the 1-2 shift.

In the LS3 manual, redline isn't until 53 mph on the 1-2 shift.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote