Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-30-2011, 01:54 AM   #197
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
I would love to be in some of those meetings Scott, but I am happy just to know you are involved in some way and the disciples will be beckoned again to Detroit.

And Dragoneye, remember this very thread in a couple years when so many "insiders" will be telling all of us what they know about 6th Gen. I seem to remember a lot of info a few years ago about the 5th that was only partially accurate.:notheadlights:
This will only get more interesting as it snowballs out of control!
You meannnn......thing like:

"The production car has FAT side mirrors"

"The headlights look NOTHING like the concept!!"

"The engine's going to be the 367hp 6.0L out of the G8"

"The SS won't be cheaper than $35,000. My 4th gen SS cost me 34k!!!"

"It's going to be as tall as a G8"

"V6 will be 250hp out of the Impala"

"The Car lost all its body lines!!"

"It's going to have 21" wheels"

.....among others.......

Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 AM   #198
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Looking forward to seeing the weight reduction!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #199
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
I have a lot of faith in GM and anticipate a repeat of the Gen1/Gen2 transition. Two great models that were totally different. The cool thing is the Gen5 as already without a doubt but it's mark in car styling history. We're driving living legends !!!!!
+1! To quote Carly Simon, these are the good old days! Well, at least the second round of them! :-)

Last edited by OrangeVert; 12-30-2011 at 11:16 PM.
OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #200
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
Ehhh... Guy that lives in my area. His Camaro was in GM high tech. One of the fastest stock bottom end Camaros around. Has stock ported heads, ms3 cam, Moser 9", Fast 90/90, 1 3/4 Pacesetter & spray.

Now he just changed his set up with a bigger intake, ported 799 heads, & more spray. Should be running low 9's now! If anyone can update me on the fastest 5th gen 1/4 mile that's still using a LS3. NOT a LS9!

That is nice man.
Where are you from in SB?
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 AM   #201
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyB22 View Post
Ehhh... Guy that lives in my area. His Camaro was in GM high tech. One of the fastest stock bottom end Camaros around. Has stock ported heads, ms3 cam, Moser 9", Fast 90/90, 1 3/4 Pacesetter & spray.

Now he just changed his set up with a bigger intake, ported 799 heads, & more spray. Should be running low 9's now! If anyone can update me on the fastest 5th gen 1/4 mile that's still using a LS3. NOT a LS9!

I was born and raised in Santa Barbara, I sure miss it. If I were still there I would love to take my Camaro up Old San Marcos pass, that road was awesome for twisty turns.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #202
Bond
Heritage Hanger

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, Black.
I dont know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but what this tells me is that the fifth gen has a few years left before the re-vamp. so with a three years remaining on what is generally a four year run, GM is likely to have something up their sleeve in the form of further development on the current platform. Maybe something in the form of the elusive Z/28!?

Lets go GM!

Keeping The Spirit Alive!
Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #203
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
If GM has the new Gen 5 V8 ready sooner than the planned release of the new Camaro, will they go ahead and start using it in the current lineup to get the benefits of the more efficient engine? I would hope so but don't know what their normal policy is.
GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #204
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
If GM has the new Gen 5 V8 ready sooner than the planned release of the new Camaro, will they go ahead and start using it in the current lineup to get the benefits of the more efficient engine? I would hope so but don't know what their normal policy is.
Typically when they replace an old engine, they'll put the new one into everything within about a year. They don't wait years for the next redesign of the car(s) they use them in. The sooner they use them, the quicker the payback time is, and the simpler their logistics become.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #205
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Typically when they replace an old engine, they'll put the new one into everything within about a year. They don't wait years for the next redesign of the car(s) they use them in. The sooner they use them, the quicker the payback time is, and the simpler their logistics become.
Thanks. That's what I thought. Hopefully we'll see the new motor soon.
GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #206
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
So I have 3 more years to beat on my SS. Cool.
Actually 5 Rogan, the first 2 years are going to be the issue years as with all manufacturers.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #207
007s 'Vert
Formerly Lil'BlueCoupe

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Vert, Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Actually 5 Rogan, the first 2 years are going to be the issue years as with all manufacturers.
that is another reason I held out for a 2012, lots of issues have been addressed on this year
Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #208
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Just being a bit of a devils advocate here ...

What if the Cadillac version of the platform is based on an aluminum structure while the Camaro utilizes cheaper steel?

Also, while we know that the ATS is going to be Alpha based, I'm pretty sure the next gen CTS is too. I'm thinking that the Camaro may be based off of the larger variant of the car, rather than the smaller one. I say this because I don't expect a V8 in the ATS while the next gen CTS (and Camaro) will need V8s. And if they're doing 2 variants of the platform, with 2 different power train combinations, I would expect the Camaro to get the most ... robust version with the more powerful engines. They can still hack it down to smaller dimensions, but I foresee the next gen Camaro being a much 'denser' car compared to the ATS. Of course, this idea goes out the window if the ATS-V is a supercharged (or turbocharged) V8 cranking out over 600 hp.
It's entirely possible. I remember reading an article discussing the goal and intentions of the Alpha architecture. One of them was the ability to swap out components with others made of advanced lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, or ultra-high-strength steel. This would allow the architecture to be truly flexible and underpin many different vehicles.

However, I don't think Cadillac would spend the money on an aluminum unibody, especially not for the base models, because one of Cadillac's critical features is offering the same features for less $$$ than competitors. That's why the CTS-V was made for 60k, verus the M5's $80k pricetag.

As far as the size...I disagree. Considering the Mustang is purported to be shrinking, the Camaro's existing weight disadvantage vs that car, and the industry trend towards lighter, more fuel-efficient vehicles...I don't think the volume-selling Camaro can afford to be set on a similar, or even larger (CTS is growing) version of Alpha. It would be counter-intuitive to....everything.

GM will need to develop a high-output V8 for the likes of the Corvette Z06 and ZR1...if the Camaro is based off of the smaller ATS Alpha architecture, it is conceivable that they could put a compact, high-output Gen V small block into the high-end versions. The cars don't need to be carbon-copies of each other...and in that light, we could see a much more robust drivetrain.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #209
SSTAT

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1997SS NASA Road Racer
Ode to the 4th gen (If I remember right):

-First to bring back 300 HP to the camaro and the muscle car in general
-Brought the SS back to camaro
-Brought the hurst shifter back to camaro
- Introduced the torsen differential to the world
- Brought the 6 speed to the muscle car
-Dominated the mustang in PERFORMANCE every year it was built
- I believe its performance beat the porsche boxter when introduced
- Brought the camaro back to road racing (the SLP SS concept was designed specifically for road racing in the SCCA and it won the championship that year).

Now I have a ZL1 ordered, but I also race a 4th gen in NASA road racing and very successfully, she is a beast at 3800 lbs but she wins the old fashioned way, fat engine + fat tires. The 4th gen may not be the prettiest but she is a muscle car and she is a camaro. There are a couple of items up there the 5th gen has yet to do... Respect your elders.
SSTAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #210
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTAT View Post
The 4th gen may not be the prettiest but she is a muscle car and she is a camaro. There are a couple of items up there the 5th gen has yet to do... Respect your elders.
Right on!
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation