Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-25-2024, 09:04 PM   #43
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Hyundai and KIA was a completely different situation. They simply didn’t have the hardware to prevent thefts. Not true!

Per KIA

"In addition to this ignition cylinder protector, Kia has also designed a software upgrade that further enhances a vehicle’s security by restricting the operation of a vehicle’s ignition system should a potential criminal attempt to steal a locked vehicle without the key,"

So, there you have it. A software upgrade!
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:12 PM   #44
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
A software upgrade (what we need) is WAY cheaper than needing to upgrade the hardware...

Maybe it is time for a Class Action Lawsuit?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:38 AM   #45
Junction65

Drives: 2011 GMC Sierra 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
A software upgrade (what we need) is WAY cheaper than needing to upgrade the hardware...

It is way past that time with GM ignoring the defect while sunsetting the Camaro. There should have been a class action suit once the software security flaw was discovered and exploited.
Current mileage: 310

Last edited by Junction65; 03-26-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Junction65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:18 AM   #46
david_acm

Drives: LT1
Is this issue specific to the Camaro or are other GM vehicles also affected?
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 02:10 PM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
Hyundai and KIA was a completely different situation. They simply didn’t have the hardware to prevent thefts. Not true!

Per KIA

"In addition to this ignition cylinder protector, Kia has also designed a software upgrade that further enhances a vehicle’s security by restricting the operation of a vehicle’s ignition system should a potential criminal attempt to steal a locked vehicle without the key,"

So, there you have it. A software upgrade!
Yes they ADDED an enhancement. THE issue was they didn’t have an ignition immobilizer.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:42 PM   #48
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
This has largely been overlooked. Hence Jaguar Land Rover , KIA have acted responsible to address their OBDII systems. GM has to be called out in a lawsuit, on Onstar and stops sharing driver data with brokers amid backlash data selling.

Eventually, this same issue will be resolved no doubt, perhaps this way too.
I'm not sure "responsibly" is first ignoring the problem all the way back to 2011, and it becoming so bad of an issue that insurers started dropping Kia/Hyundai owners in multiple states, stone cold. Multiple states and individuals had to file suit prior to a national class action lawsuit originating in California (thanks, CA!) filed in Sept 2022, which has been settled. Note that Hyundai/Kia does not accept responsibility (admit to wrongdoing). The settlement is the result of a disputed claim against them.

The free software update is part of the $145M cash settlement for owners covered by the lawsuit, as well as the potential to receive an ignition immobilizer on affected vehicles.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:04 PM   #49
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junction65 View Post
It is way past that time with GM ignoring the defect while sunsetting the Camaro. There should have been a class action suit once the software security flaw was discovered and exploited.
Yep, the American way. Let’s get a lawyer who would (if they win and they won’t) MILLIONS OF $ while we all get $100.

GM has a system that is on Millions of vehicles using the Global A electrical architecture. And because an article comes out with a high rate of theft in LA (lol the only Camaro theft reported in this website was the guy who’s Ram pickup was broken into but I may have missed one or two) people want to sue.

I believe most OEMs have a similar system and using a remote key generator to steal cars is not unique to GM or the Camaro. Again the data I posted earlier shows IF GM has any problem with vehicle theft it’s full size pick ups, not Camaros. GM had more full size pickups stolen in one year than that made Camaros in the last 3. So let’s sue. And you can bet there are hundreds if not thousands of lawyers doing nothing but looking for that class action lawsuit. You know like the one where we got $7 from Google and the lawyers got millions.

Yes, very much against the litigious nature we have created in America
Old 03-26-2024, 07:14 PM   #50
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Yep, the American way. Let’s get a lawyer who would (if they win and they won’t) MILLIONS OF $ while we all get $100.

GM has a system that is on Millions of vehicles using the Global A electrical architecture. And because an article comes out with a high rate of theft in LA (lol the only Camaro theft reported in this website was the guy who’s Ram pickup was broken into but I may have missed one or two) people want to sue.

I believe most OEMs have a similar system and using a remote key generator to steal cars is not unique to GM or the Camaro. Again the data I posted earlier shows IF GM has any problem with vehicle theft it’s full size pick ups, not Camaros. GM had more full size pickups stolen in one year than that made Camaros in the last 3. So let’s sue. And you can bet there are hundreds if not thousands of lawyers doing nothing but looking for that class action lawsuit. You know like the one where we got $7 from Google and the lawyers got millions.

I am against it as well, but sometimes it might be the last resort to get a company to do what it should have already done proactively...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:21 PM   #51
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Number 3, there is one major problem with your posts: it is impossible to have a dialog with you, because you never acknowledge anyone else's point. Small or big, related to GM or not, you do not acknowledge any but keep stating your opinions, sometimes simply ignoring others, other times changing the topic...

Add to this the fact that you are super quick to point the finger at every other automotive company under the sun before you would even hint at anything GM might have gotten wrong. These posts feel like reliving the tale about the emperor's new clothes.

This is why people often call you out here for being a GM shill even though you aren't, and despite the fair points you often make, especially this time about the disgusting legal vultures and the destructively litigious nature American society has acquired over time. (See? I will acknowledge and continue to elaborate any good point anyone makes, no matter my background, no matter the differences we may have )

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 07:55 PM   #52
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I get the point about being upset about security vulnerabilities, but just remember what you are asking for. If you enjoy having control over a vehicle you own, being able to customize, modify, diagnose, and fix yourself in my opinion far outweighs any perceived benefit from locking criminals as well as you out of your own vehicle that you own. You are handing your vehicle over back to the manufacture and just given permission to use it.

As mentioned before the solution to this problem starts with the criminal deterrent.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 08:43 PM   #53
L2SS455

So is GM is incapable or unwilling to have authentication in the CAN bus
Or implement authentication and encryption on the OBDII scanners and applications.

As I said before my old AOL e Mail service now requires users adding AOL accounts to Outlook to enable 2-factor authentication.

As insider Number 3 points out, GM has a problem too with it’s full size pick ups vehicles due to thefts which they are aware of presumably for this same security lapse and they choose not to address that either. Sad.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:18 PM   #54
bowtie_thunder
Camaro Connoisseur

Drives: Red 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I get the point about being upset about security vulnerabilities, but just remember what you are asking for. If you enjoy having control over a vehicle you own, being able to customize, modify, diagnose, and fix yourself in my opinion far outweighs any perceived benefit from locking criminals as well as you out of your own vehicle that you own. You are handing your vehicle over back to the manufacture and just given permission to use it.

As mentioned before the solution to this problem starts with the criminal deterrent.
And I do indeed love my autonomy with my car. I agree that GM's leniency with key fob creation, even after it changed after 2016, is certainly convenient. But it also certainly sucks that I have to keep my windows down everywhere I park because of the thought of an unsavory someone stumbling across my car, and deciding they would like to steal it (the Reddit post in the article featuring my 2SS with a broken window was in broad daylight, no more than an hour after parking).

And sure, everyone can go ahead and pile on myself and others who live in California if you'd like--our state IS a national punchline for a lot non-sensical things. But this isn't JUST happening here. Camaro communities everywhere (Reddit, IG, Facebook, etc.) are discussing this VERY subject right now from all walks of life in the US.

And, like Number 3 said, Camaro thefts may not be as prevlent as other segments for GM, namely their pickup/SUV lines, however it IS also fair to point out that there are likely WAY more trucks/SUVs to steal than there are Camaros to steal, so while the article focuses on L.A., there are other regions in the West, namely Texas, Arizona, and Oregon, where this stuff is ALSO running rampant.

What I'm getting at, is that maybe a software/firmware overhaul isn't needed, but rather, addressing the OBD2 Port + keyfob issue (which is central to this entire situation) with a patch would eliminate a lot of headaches. I can't imagine just patching THAT issue would be giving them a bunch of control, would it?

Again, I know this isn't GM's fault, or even its issue, flat-out. But I'd think they'd want to do right by its nameplate and issue a quick fix, even if it is discontinued now.

Current: 2020 2SS Camaro, A10, Non-MRC

JLP Axlebacks | American Authority Fuel Door | K&N Performance Air Filter| iKON Motorsports Rear Valance

Last edited by bowtie_thunder; 03-27-2024 at 11:20 AM.
bowtie_thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:42 AM   #55
L2SS455

This doesn't help us Camaro owners get a front end fix to help fend off thieves from being able too steal our cars so easily.

March 26th 2024
GM loses another software leader amid more reorganization
Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

General Motors is losing a software executive amid reorganizing its software division after issues with vehicle software prompted stop-sales of some new vehicles in the past few months.

On Tuesday, GM said Chief Digital Officer Edward Kummer is leaving the company. The move comes just two weeks after software boss Mike Abbott left for health reasons.

In a company memo obtained by the Detroit Free Press, GM wrote: "The Digital Services & Experiences team, currently part of the Software & Services organization, is being reorganized within other areas of GM. The goal is more consistency with revenue-generating, software and marketing functions to make the groups work more efficiently, while keeping customer experience and quality a top priority."

GM's new Chief Digital Officer Edward Kummer.
The memo said Kummer and Donald Chesnut, vice president of customer experience, have elected to leave GM and "we are grateful for their contributions."

When asked about the moves, GM spokesman Kevin Kelly sent this statement to the Free Press: "We wish Edward Kummer well and thank him for his years of contribution to GM. We have reorganized some of our teams supporting digital services and experiences to ensure the business continues to run efficiently. We have no further details to share at this time."
Old 03-29-2024, 06:43 AM   #56
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
This doesn't help us Camaro owners get a front end fix to help fend off thieves from being able too steal our cars so easily.

March 26th 2024
GM loses another software leader amid more reorganization
Jamie L. LaReau
Detroit Free Press

General Motors is losing a software executive amid reorganizing its software division after issues with vehicle software prompted stop-sales of some new vehicles in the past few months.

On Tuesday, GM said Chief Digital Officer Edward Kummer is leaving the company. The move comes just two weeks after software boss Mike Abbott left for health reasons.

In a company memo obtained by the Detroit Free Press, GM wrote: "The Digital Services & Experiences team, currently part of the Software & Services organization, is being reorganized within other areas of GM. The goal is more consistency with revenue-generating, software and marketing functions to make the groups work more efficiently, while keeping customer experience and quality a top priority."

GM's new Chief Digital Officer Edward Kummer.
The memo said Kummer and Donald Chesnut, vice president of customer experience, have elected to leave GM and "we are grateful for their contributions."

When asked about the moves, GM spokesman Kevin Kelly sent this statement to the Free Press: "We wish Edward Kummer well and thank him for his years of contribution to GM. We have reorganized some of our teams supporting digital services and experiences to ensure the business continues to run efficiently. We have no further details to share at this time."
Nah, it could actually help if they decided to hire pros from the outside and listen to them. GM's software is and always has been many years behind the curve, I don't think their former CDO saved their world in any way. For example, they could cut the CEO's comp in half and hire several top notch developers and software leads with just that extra budget. We all know it isn't gonna happen, though, it's business as usual until internal talent dries up with these MBA-led software companies, which GM are slowly morphing into.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote