Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 PM   #43
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by danthemuffinman View Post
2016 camaro hood is from a 2013 Genesis coupe
Well I have a 13' gen coupe(14' newface).if you mean their similar by the vents than you're wrong!the hood vents on my car are plastic and no function just a silly accessory lol.they only thing these two have in common is that their both cars and their both have 2 doors!
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #44
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
Well as with any vendor claiming HP improvements, they should also post their dyno chart proof with their control and enhanced results and document all modifications.

That said, why cannot GM make a similar setup for the 6th Gen? Look at the upper left in the SLP graphic, note how straight through the air path is?! WHY would GM do all these curves on the 5th & 6th Gen air intakes? MAKES NO SENSE TO ME!
Noise reduction. At least that is what I have long thought. Even with all those twists and turns, it is likely a true cold air intake. A much quieter intake than the short ram intakes the after market prefers, but also much more restrictive.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #45
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Exclamation

NOBODY buys a Camaro and worries about the volume/decibel level of air going into their engine! Ridiculous! After removing the sound reduction claptrap GM installed on both my Camaros, I can honestly say it made no perceptible differences between sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Noise reduction. At least that is what I have long thought. Even with all those twists and turns, it is likely a true cold air intake. A much quieter intake than the short ram intakes the after market prefers, but also much more restrictive.

Laborsmith

Last edited by libertyforall; 08-20-2015 at 09:27 AM.
libertyforall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #46
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
So any other explanations?

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #47
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I just need to say that this is one of the most informative threads I've read on this site in a long time. Lots of really good points being made, including how the position of the hood scoop can dramatically affect whether there's any actual net gain in airflow.

I'm on the fence between ordering a Z-Force hood, which I now understand is cosmetic now obviously based on the position of the scoop, or a functional cowl induction hood. Lots of things on my car are totally for show, so I may still bite the bullet and go for the former. I am slowly killing the performance and MPG of my car in the process, but it looks good, lol.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #48
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
Ram air hoods are useless, they never made power they were just for show. The air wave a car makes at speed does not travel across the hood it goes about two feet up and over the roof. The only system that worked was the Chevy cowl induction because of negative air pressure at the base of the windshield. That's why NASCAR takes the air from there in its intake systems. All scoops on the hood do is create turbulence and create drag. As an air extractor they work perfectly, removing the heat and air pressure from under the hood. keeping them flat on the hood does not create drag so there efficient.

Although the Cowl Induction hood was less aggressive looking than some of those from Ford and the MOPAR brands it was just as effective, maybe more. Drag racers use different types of ram air scoops but I believe they also do not use air filters that would greatly reduce the effectiveness of a ram air effect.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #49
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fradaj View Post
Although the Cowl Induction hood was less aggressive looking than some of those from Ford and the MOPAR brands it was just as effective, maybe more. Drag racers use different types of ram air scoops but I believe they also do not use air filters that would greatly reduce the effectiveness of a ram air effect.
150mph+ gives most intakes ram air effect

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #50
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
In my opinion the 4th gen is the ugliest camaro and the biggest mistake GM has done . don't get me wrong its my opinion and im not trying to disrespect others opinions.it just don't say "camaro" to me.
you drive a hyundai though..

Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #51
fradaj

Drives: RS
I saw a video testing the new GT3 RS and they noted that the new air inlets in front of the rear wheels added 10HP to the engine when the car was at speed, so I guess Porsche have a way of using ram air to increase power in a modern engine.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #52
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Ram Air is largely a myth. Nearly all gains made come from the the fact that a 'ram air' setup is, in essence, a short-path cold air intake. Any compressive effect is going to be almost non-existent at speeds below 200 mph, and only start to show an impact at speeds much greater than that.
I agree, the characteristic is known as the "aerodynamic boundary layer", i.e. the air at the surface of the car is fairly static and not moving. That is why the real performance driven people in Pro-Stock NHRA (who have access to wind tunnels to test) have those huge air scoops that stick way up above the stagnate air on the surface in order to be meaningfully effective. Back in the day the Chevy engineers designed a system (cowl induction) that actually had some benefit over something that only looked good.
Attached Images

Last edited by MLL67RSSS; 08-21-2015 at 05:17 PM.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #53
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Hood scoops help everything!
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #54
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
I agree, the characteristic is known as the "aerodynamic boundary layer", i.e. the air at the surface of the car is fairly static and not moving. That is why the real performance driven people in Pro-Stock NHRA (who have access to wind tunnels to test) have those huge air scoops that stick way up above the stagnate air on the surface in order to be meaningfully effective. Back in the day the Chevy engineers designed a system (cowl induction) that actually had some benefit over something that only looked good.
sorry but thats not true 100% my LS1 worked so much better with the Ultra Z hood and a volant air intake I can fell how the car can breath much more easy and it also feels a way more dynamic going on the highway and Im not going 200 MPH lol

The Ultra Z hood is useless and even restrictive if not used right, they need special air lids in order to be functional... like the volant air box, it aislate the airfilter from the heat and get a direct shot of cold air from outside, works even better when using a FI like a supercharger

pic not mine nor my car
Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM   #55
chrisvr6

Drives: suzuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Hood scoops help everything!
to look bad
Attached Images

chrisvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #56
Ragnar