Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #15
amerhash28

Drives: camaros in his dreams
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post
I must say, these plain hoods look awfully boring on the non-V8 models. Why isn't GM adding hood scoops standard on all trims or offering an option? The hood would look SO much better, IMHO, plus add some power from ram air!

i.e. like this SLP Ultra Z replica hood on my 4th Gen Camaro.

In my opinion the 4th gen is the ugliest camaro and the biggest mistake GM has done . don't get me wrong its my opinion and im not trying to disrespect others opinions.it just don't say "camaro" to me.the hood on this car is kind of hellcat looking so I dont think it will match the curves and body lines on the 6th gen
amerhash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerhash28 View Post
In my opinion the 4th gen is the ugliest camaro and the biggest mistake GM has done . don't get me wrong its my opinion and im not trying to disrespect others opinions.it just don't say "camaro" to me.the hood on this car is kind of hellcat looking so I dont think it will match the curves and body lines on the 6th gen
Many on here will disagree, but the general public and I would agree with you. That car is the reason there was no Camaro for nearly a decade.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #17
dfirehawkc

Drives: n/a
smelly exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvr6 View Post
add this
That looks like an exhaust vent for a porta potty.....lol.
dfirehawkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:43 PM   #18
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
Many on here will disagree, but the general public and I would agree with you. That car is the reason there was no Camaro for nearly a decade.
I agree with you. That generation Camaro was a victim of the era when American car companies were obsessed with inverted bath tub designs.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #19
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I agree with you. That generation Camaro was a victim of the era when American car companies were obsessed with inverted bath tub designs.
I Don't know much about the old american cars and specially the 90s.but when I see the mustang and camaro designs in the late 90s,it looks like they've lost their personality. Why?
Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #20
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
I dont get your point, the reason the 4 gen ended like it did was because GM designed the 4 gen based on function... not to be a hot weels movie car... like its younger brother... the 5 gen

To call a 4 gen an ugly car is ... stupid, but hey freedom of speech, for me each gen has a different personality reflected on how they looks and perform, the 4 gen is more of a cool everyday friend, easy to go, reliable, always wiling to go everywere the 5 gen more of a rock star friend, enegetic, love to catch attention and very loud... both of them amazing machines for their times... both of them now old lol

I still belive the LS1 4 gen is one of the most underated cars arround...

btw... quoting someone else car picture and saying it is
Quote:
the ugliest camaro and the biggest mistake GM has done
kinda rude...

just saying
Old 08-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #21
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesiom Summers View Post
I dont get your point, the reason the 4 gen ended like it did was because GM designed the 4 gen based on function... not to be a hot weels movie car... like its younger brother... the 5 gen

To call a 4 gen an ugly car is ... stupid, but hey freedom of speech, for me each gen has a different personality reflected on how they looks and perform, the 4 gen is more of a cool everyday friend, easy to go, reliable, always wiling to go everywere the 5 gen more of a rock star friend, enegetic, love to catch attention and very loud... both of them amazing machines for their times... both of them now... old lol

I still belive the LS1 4 gen is one of the most underated cars arround...

btw... quoting someone else car picture and saying it is kinda rude...

just saying
if you read my post more carefully you will notice that I said its my opinion and I don't attend to disrespect anyone's opinion.i've heard from a lot of people calling my car ricer or weak or just hyundai but im ok with it because its about self preference and opinions so I don't think I said anything rude.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 PM   #22
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Don't worry, youre not alone.

Also, I believe Al O said something about a ram intake, so the functionality is coming, even if it doesn't have the form that most people want
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
amerhash28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
Don't worry, youre not alone.

Also, I believe Al O said something about a ram intake, so the functionality is coming, even if it doesn't have the form that most people want
It would be awesome if we get something similar to the shaker intake on the scatpack chally that looks meeeeaaaan
Old 08-18-2015, 08:28 PM   #24
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Today's cars have so much more control over the air intake you don't need ram air to increase power. They give you more sound but not much more power. You need forced induction to make a difference on modern cars.
Even with the most efficient computer aided throttle, at best you will get close to atmospheric pressure. With ram air, you can actually achieve better than atmospheric pressure. Technically, ram air IS forced induction. That is combined (usually) with a very effective cold air intake, since the air is extracted outside the hood entirely. But it is only slightly above atmospheric in comparison to turbo or supercharging, but it is forced induction none the less. Another drawback is it only comes into play at higher speeds. No help in the early part of the 1/4 mile, but helpful in the end.

Quote:
The vents in the 6th gen SS hood are for engine compartment heat extraction, not ram air or cowl induction.
It also provides more downforce from what Chevy claims.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 AM   #25
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I think an air ram hood would look cool. Better than the current nostril design. But as others have said already:
  • Modern day cars don't benefit from an air ram. Unless you go with forced induction, the hood makes no difference these days.
  • The vents on the ZL1 / 14-15 SS and 6th Gen "nostrils" are purely to let hot air escape. This has already been stated multiple times on these forums. They don't really take air in.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #26
libertyforall

Drives: '01 Camaro SS 'Vert; '02 Camaro RS
Wink

Quote:
In the old days the WS6/ram air/cowl induction really added genuine power because air intake was not computer regulated and sampled 100 times/second.

Even with the 4th gen 350 and MAFs you still had mechanical operation of the air intake.

Today's cars have so much more control over the air intake you don't need ram air to increase power. In fact I don't believe the K&N - type CAI's make that much of a hp difference. They give you more sound but not much more power. You need forced induction to make a difference on modern cars.

The vents in the 6th gen SS hood are for engine compartment heat extraction, not ram air or cowl induction.
How much more "air intake control" does a 5th or 6th Gen Camaro have over a 4th Gen Camaro? I noticed gains with CAI & ram-air hood scoop hood addition on my 4th Gens. 4th Gens have MAFs and IAT sensors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Combining short ram intake with a tune makes a significant difference. The SRI can make a short term difference but to get the long term results one needs to be tuned.

Laborsmith
Far from settled, as there are some differences stated in this thread... I submit that laborsmith is correct, but proof is always in the pudding.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #27
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
/daydream
There was nothing cooler than tromping on the gas in my 69 RS/SS and watching the flapper close on the hood intake, and seeing the hood get sucked down onto the air cleaner seal.
/end daydream
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #28
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawk823 View Post
/daydream
There was nothing cooler than tromping on the gas in my 69 RS/SS and watching the flapper close on the hood intake, and seeing the hood get sucked down onto the air cleaner seal.
/end daydream
My dad taught me how to drive in the 80's on our 1978 T/A Smokey and the Bandit replica. He and his brother put a lumpy cam in it and at idle that T/A-6.6L hood scoop would wobble back and forth. Funny how to think back then that was a "fast" car, had a whopping 220HP

It was fast enough to get him a bunch of tickets and teach me not to stick my arm out the window doing ~120MPH up I-93 in VT

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is offline   Reply With Quote