Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
31B

Drives: 2014 Black 1SS A6
Send a message via Yahoo to 31B
A good day *Long Read*

So my Dad called me today and asked me to come over to his house (He lives about 40 minutes from my house). So I jumped in my car and drove over.

A little background on my Dad. My Dad is the ultimate car guy. He has owned some of the classics '69 SS Camaro, '70 Stingray, '73 Camaro, the list goes on and on. He was also into building his cars and drag racing. I can't remember a time I haven't seen him in the garage tinkering with something. Well this all culminated when he bought an '01 Z06. His plans were to turn the car into a beast.

Then he had a stroke. Then another one. He was in the hospital for a long time and for awhile I didn't think he was going to make it. But being the man he is he recovered and came out more resilient than he was before. Unfortunately he could no longer drive a Manual Car due to loss of mobility in his left leg. He had to trade the Z06 and instead got an automatic Grand Sport.

He remains a car nut to this day. He kept the Grand Sport and has supplemented it with several cars over the years. The latest was a 2012 CTS-V.

Well when I arrived he had a surprise: the CTS-V was gone and in its place a new Stingray. He wanted to surprise me and go for a ride. I didn't get a chance to grab my camera or my Cameraman (daughter / wife) before I went down so no video, but it was an absolute blast following him in the twisties with my car.

When we got back he popped another surprise. He needed my help. He was planning on Modifying his Grand Sport. He had bought a new intake manifold, throttle body, and headers. Due to the loss of strength and mobility in his body he can not lift and install the parts. He needs me to be his hands. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a walking calamity. I am a danger to myself and others the minute I pick-up any tool. I have said it before, but if you see me going to the garage with tools call a body shop and an ambulance because its about to be all bad.

When I expressed this concern to him, he told me not to worry because he would supervise the whole operation.

I am looking forward to this project because I don't get to spend as much time with him as I used to. Plus hopefully I can learn some things myself and when my warranty is gone I can catch this Mod Bug that everyone speaks of.

It was a good day.
Attached Images

31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
MountaineerTom

Drives: Summit White 2014 2LT
That's great. Enjoy your time with your dad. Mine passed in '06 and I miss him everyday. So many things I'd like to ask his advice on since then. As a dad, I enjoy every minute I can with my boys, when I can get together with them.
MountaineerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Good for him! Tough guy!

All my best for you and your Dad. Installation of all that stuff will be a good time.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Optimus

Drives: Former 2010 and 2013 Camaro owner
Awesome story! My old man is still with us but he was diagnosed with ALS two years ago so everyday is a blessing. We live 600 miles away so I don't see him as often as I'd like. He loved my 2010 Camaro and gave me crap about not getting a CTS-V instead. He thought it was a bit more "civilized". I am looking forward to a road trip in my 2013 Camaro so that I can take him for a ride.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
This will be the best time of both your lives! Savor the days doing this. You will be better and happier with what you take away for the rest of your life.

Mod on!
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Doing that work together will be one of your lasting memories of a great relationship with your dad. Cherish the moment. Many of us are not lucky enough to have had such quality relationships with our fathers.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Ksmoke

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT/RS
That's awesome. I just recently lost my grandfather and we used to do the same as you and your father (work on cars, go for drives, etc) you'll definitley cherish those memories.
Ksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
crsr1

Drives: Camaro
Great story. Wish therevwere more like that on here!
2013 Silverado Z71
crsr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Great story. I miss doing stuff with my dad growing up (passed in 2000) but the memories of the times we were together are priceless. Cherish your time with him.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 PM   #10
31B

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of starting a build thread when we get started. Just don't know where to put it.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31B View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking of starting a build thread when we get started. Just don't know where to put it.
Member Car Journals
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
31B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Member Car Journals
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
Great Story, awesome Dad! Wish you both the best!
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #14
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
That's awesome! That C5 is damn clean, the CTS-V coupe is freaking sick, and the stingray is a beast! Sadly, my dad isn't a car guy. Should try to get him into it