Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2023, 03:27 PM   #1
KKamaro

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel LT1 M6
Muffler delete axle-back systems...cure for rattle?

Hi,

Has anyone installed an axle-back muffler delete system (Magnaflow, Flowtech, Hooker, MRT, etc.) on their Gen 6 V6?

Do these muffler delete systems cause any cabin drone?

My first attempt at better-sounding exhaust was an NXTStep EX7002-A axle-back with mufflers. They were decent quality, and sounded great but they created a nasty cabin drone at cruising speeds. Was so bad it gave me a headache when riding on the highway.

My second attempt was a Borla Atak axle-back. Great sound and NO drone. However, after about 2k miles, the sound has changed: letting off the accelerator causes this hard-to-describe rattle 'jake brake' sound. It is definitely not a great sound, which sucks because they were pricey.

So, I am at the point of considering muffler delete systems. I plan to keep the cats and resonator...just looking for an axle-back solution (that will hopefully connect right where the existing cuts are). I want the car to sound good and I am not opposed to LOUD, but not at the risk of cabin drone. Do I have to stick with a system like MBRP with those Helmholtz resonators?

Trying to avoid my third attempt resulting in failure.
Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by KKamaro; 08-17-2023 at 01:08 PM.
KKamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
Borla has a Lifetime Warranty. The sound should have not changed in 2k miles. Something in one of the mufflers must have come loose.

Reach out to Borla. They will take care of you.

https://www.borla.com/contact/

Phone: 877-462-6752
Email: sales@borla.com
Old 08-16-2023, 06:13 PM   #3
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
I was thinking about going with the AWE Track axle back for now. I hear it will bolt up nicely to a ARH long system later on but I have to look into that more.
I would definitely get ahold of Borla in your case though.

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:55 AM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
The AWE Track has no drone protection.

Look at the MBRP system it has a resonator in there for the drone which I can vouch for and it's otherwise a muffler delete.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 07:35 AM   #5
KKamaro

Thanks for the replies so far.

The problem with using the warranty is that I purchased it from the original buyer on eBay. Saved about $400 and they were new (never installed), but were not purchased from an 'authorized retailer' and were never registered. So, that means I am SOL. I took the risk since I saved so much and trusted the brand, but lesson learned.

I could take it to a muffler shop and spend hundreds, but for the money and time, would rather just put on a muffler-delete system. Pausing on that because I am concerned with the drone.

Here are pics of the mufflers. Notice the strange welds...and where those stop there seems to be soot making the corners black. Now I am wondering if those welds spots are oem...
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2023, 08:23 AM   #6
WhiteMale

Looks like your SOL with Borla

https://www.borla.com/support/million-mile-warranty
Old 08-17-2023, 10:23 AM   #7
Linker239

Drives: 2022 WC 2SS
It looks like those welds may have blown out or failed. That looks like a lot of soot coming out of that area. Maybe the previous owner tried to have them fixed. I can’t imagine those little spot welds would have came from Borla like that. Though it could’ve been missed in quality control.
2010 VR 1LT RS; Sold
Linker239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 01:26 PM   #8
KKamaro

Took the car out again today. I am so confused about this rattle sound. Sounds like it is coming from the exhaust, but...

It occurs only when driving and then letting off the accelerator...but it goes away when I press the clutch. When releasing the clutch, the sound comes back, right at the top of the 'grab' point and continues until I press the accelerator. Now I am also hearing a rotating, soft clicking sound when coming to a stop...with the speed of the clicking matching the speed of the car.

Axle? Transmission? Clutch? Exhaust?

I have tried to capture it with my smartphone, but it is not loud enough to record well. I would need an external go pro setup or something to get a decent clip.

The sound is definitely new and not good. The best part is, the techs at the dealer 'couldn't hear anything wrong'. I may need to do a third trip and take a tech out for a drive. I respect technicians but hoping this does not end up being a 'normal' sound, cuz it sucks.

These sounds could be a combination of things or hopefully just one. Before I replace the axle-back, I may take that third trip back to the dealer, or try a different dealer.

As always, any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2023, 02:18 PM   #9
KKamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
The AWE Track has no drone protection.

Look at the MBRP system it has a resonator in there for the drone which I can vouch for and it's otherwise a muffler delete.
Thanks for the info. Good to know you have experience with MBRP. How is the sound?
I assume you mean these:

Looks like they only make an aluminized version...no stainless. I am in VT but do not drive the car in the winter, so that should be okay...
Old 08-18-2023, 07:30 AM   #10
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKamaro View Post
Thanks for the info. Good to know you have experience with MBRP. How is the sound?
I assume you mean these:

Looks like they only make an aluminized version...no stainless. I am in VT but do not drive the car in the winter, so that should be okay...
There's sound clips out there and they sound good IMO but all those pipes look ridiculous. That's why I may go with the AWE track edition. It's just pipes and no bulk. Saving a couple lbs don't hurt either. Just my opinion.

My last car was fully built NA. Long tubes into gutted cats into Borla non adjustable catback. 3600-4000 stall with 3.73 gear. Had the sound deadening ripped off the back of the carpet. AC deleted so the windows were down all the time. LS7 lifters and double springs. I'm not worried about a little drone from an axleback exhaust To each their own

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 08:13 AM   #11
WhiteMale

I can't tell ya about V6 sound, IMHO V6 exhaust sound like V6 exhaust, I don't like it.
But I've used MBRP on two cars now the aluminized versions and they've been solid for the 3 years on a Mustang, and this ZL1 for almost a year now.
That capped end canister off the main pipe is the resonator, it cancels sound waves that are in the drone range, and it works quiet well.
Old 08-19-2023, 10:41 AM   #12
VTDailyV6Camaro

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1LT V6 10Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKamaro View Post
I assume you mean these:

I’m in VT as well. 2020 v6 10Spd. I daily through winters and just got the MBRP 304 stainless series axel back. Sounds like a V8 with 6 cylinders lol. Sounds very good with no drone at high gears.
VTDailyV6Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 12:55 PM   #13
KKamaro

Hello Neighbor! No offense, but I just can't bring myself to drive our baby in the winter. I barely get her out in the rain...LOL.

Thank you for the feedback on the MBRP. I did find the stainless version online and may pull the trigger.

What area of VT are you in? I am in Hartford and sometimes in NH: Haverhill, and Lebanon areas. What color is yours? I'll be sure to wave if we ever drive by each other.

Old 08-23-2023, 09:59 PM   #14
VTDailyV6Camaro

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1LT V6 10Spd
Shadow Grey Metallic! South Burlington area. Definitely not ideal for our snow in winters but does well with snow tires on a flat commute!
VTDailyV6Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote